Anyone have insulin resistance/reactive hypoglycemia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spmom, Mar 30, 2009.

1. spmom

spmom New Member

Just wondering if anyone has insulin resistance and what are your symptoms. Also, if you have gone on a low carb diet, has it improved your fibro symptoms?

I have insulin resistance but I don't see a lot of information out there on it. Just wanting to connect with others.

2. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

thanks for posting
    many people have what is called "metabolic syndrome"
    insulin resistance is one of the symptoms
    other symptoms include weight gain, difficulty losing weight, fatigue
    it is treated with diet and exercise

3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi spmom,

How good is this? I wandered in to look around for this very subject.

I recently had a major episode involving too much sugar (yes, I know better but I lost my head over a large, very sweet banana nut muffin and, worse yet, on an empty stomach). I had a severe headache, major chills, added fatigue plus a stomach and intestinal tract that felt as if I'd taken a tire pump to them.

Ever since being dxed with CFS I've had to watch my sugar intake. Not just the sweets but the carbs, of course. Sometimes I wonder "which is the chicken and which is the egg"!?

Encouraged by the Paleo Diet and then by listening to my body, I went with no carbs at first. I noticed a big difference in how I felt and it happens quite fast. Gradually, I drifted back to adding some carbs and saw the difference (decline) as I did. Now I find that it's worth allowing myself the brown rice in a Lean Cusine when I must eat quickly but no bread, no pasta, no crackers - and no muffins!

I also learned that you can occassionally eat light carbs if you combine them with fat for slower absorption - like a small cracker spread with peanut butter. There are also supplements that help, like chromium and magnesium.

Another hint which you probably already know is to eat six mini-meals instead of three large ones using protein like meat or cheese. I do a roll up using good deli meat inside swiss cheese when I have no convenient chicken or turkey. It works fine.

I'd still like to find a way to correct this instead of having to give up so many foods, but I'll take what energy I can get.

Dr. Podell has excellent information on it on his website. Use .org after his name.

Good luck to you!