Anyone have issues with walmarts 4 dollar drugs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Apr 25, 2010.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I have been taking 2 different pills from walmarts $4 drug list, so far without any problems.

I am thinking about switching my propranolol (blood pressure med) to the $4 one from walmart. I have been paying $12 at another pharmacy.

The 2 I already take, I have never taken before, so its hard to say if they are as strong as any other ones or not.

I am just wondering if any one of you has had any issues with switching over, as far as them not being strong enough, or working as good, ect.

Please give me your input.

Thanks, Julie

2. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I cant speak about the walmart meds per se, as Ive used small locally owned pharmacies for the last 12 years. I use "chain" pharmacies only when mine is closed. And never walmart...I just dont like them. I like the personal attention I get from smaller pharmacies. All I can tell you is what my old pharmacist told me when I had received a different brand of a generic and it didnt seem to work as well. I thought it was all in my head and he said that different generics can have differing amounts of the actual ingrediant of the drug for what youre being treated for. Dont know if this is true or not. I DO know that some generics work better than others. Maybe your pharmacist would be willing to charge you the 4 bucks if it means losing your business? Doesnt hurt to ask....all they can do is say no. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
  3. quanked

quanked Member

well I just have a problem with Walmart in general--what it does to communities, the living wage and so much more but that is another post.

I recently transferred one of my drugs from Xpress Scripts to a local chain store (but the store is owned by employees). It is not a big store or pharmacy but I have always liked this store. I transferred the one drug because I could get it cheaper. I use about 5 or 6 perscriptions (mostly for blood pressure).

I had no idea that the quality of a drug could vary company to company even though it was labeled the same. I need to look into this.

One more thing though--I have noticed that the look of a pill can change even though it is the same drug. I have noticed this in the Omeprazole I get from Xpress Scripts. I wonder if the change means a different company is providing the drug.

I do not think I have been of much help but I thank your for bring this to my attention. This may change my entire outlook on generics.
  4. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

You may want to keep in mind, if you have a 3 month prescription
    cost is $10.00.
  5. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

For me personally the difference is an hour and a half wait as opposed to a 15 min. wait. But that may just be my local WM. Others may fare better.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I also obtain my maintenance drugs from Express Scripts. I often get a drug that is a different color, etc., with a sticker on the bottle that the medicine is exacting the same but was obtained by Express Scripts from a different manufacturer. That has happened on 2 or 3 of my meds. So yes, the change does mean that a different manufacturer (not company) is providing the drug.

Receiving a generic drug made by a different manufacturer has not only happened from Express Scripts, my mail-in pharmacy, but from my hometown's locally-owned pharmacy that I also get some meds from.

This practice is common and can happen at any pharmacy, large or small.

So far, I have not had any problems with the different manufacturers who have provided the generics that I take.