Anyone have leg tightness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Springfling, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Springfling

Springfling New Member

Does anyone else have problems with the bottom part of your legs? My legs hurt often, but I have noticed that they are always tight. (like I am flexing them all the time)

They are never relaxed. Is this part of Fibro? Does anyone have any suggestions on relief? Sometimes I can't sleep at night because they bother be so bad.

Other nights, I feel like I need to stretch them constantly, but nothing helps.

2. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

It sounds like you have RLS (Restless Let Syndrome). There are quite a few prescriptions on the market that treat RLS, like Mirapex, Requip(?). You could try one of these. I tried Requip, but it didn't work for me. The only thing that works for me is Klonopin. The Klonopin doesn't help with the pain, and I have a great deal of pain in my legs. But it does help with the feeling that you have to constantly move or stretch your legs. At least you will be able to sleep.
  3. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

From my knees to mid calf feels like novacaine was injected just right under the skin, so that the skin feels numb but my legs don't. I shake my foot constantly, even when I sleep. I started that habit on purpose in 1998 when I was going through a divorce. I was agitated inside and decided that shaking my leg would relax me inside. Now the doctor thinks it is Restless Leg Syndrome. I find that shaking my foot when I try to sleep actually helps me to sleep because it takes away from everything else I am trying not to feel at that time.
  4. August_Sage

August_Sage New Member

I have the same issue, 24/7 but with my neck and base of skull instead.
    I've found very little that has helped to ease it, I'm lucky to sleep at all each night because of it.

You should certainly talk to your doc about it. It might just be part of FMS or it could be something new.

Almost all my physical conditions have a hand in my FMS, a vicious cycle.
  5. August_Sage

August_Sage New Member

You are so lucky that it works for you that way.

Tiger Balm and Flex are a joke to me. :/
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

All the way up the backs of my legs.
    Feels like a tight rubber band.
    The pulling/tightness makes my lower back ache too.

I always feel like my muscles all over are never relaxed.
  7. fwm

fwm New Member

as though I am wearing socks - halfway down my calves to my ankles my skin stays "sore" - strange feeling - sometimes numb.... then when I get up in the mornings feels like my calf muscles have shrunken - strange ... and have sometimes wondered if it was a part of Fibro
  8. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Springfling, Did you try anything for RLS?
  9. hi all,

ive had horrible.. rock hard.. leg muscles,for that many years that i lose count of them.

but im weaning myself off amitriptyline 50 mg red tablet,on doctors advice,(im off it totally on friday night),and im feeling that my leg muscles are slowly softening.

this is a blessing to me for sure.

so could your meds be causing the rock hard leg muscles?

but dont go stopping your meds,without your doctors advice, and monitoring.

kind regards

[This Message was Edited on 05/01/2008]
  10. Springfling

Springfling New Member

Hi luvdogs,

I did talk to doc about it and he had me start taking klonopin & flexeril about an hour before bed.

It has really helped with my legs. I don't feel like I have to stretch and move them all the time. They are still tight most of the time, but don't seem to bother me as much.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!
  11. RatsWife

RatsWife New Member

Mine causes me to trip far too often. My feet seem to lag behind the rest of my body when I walk, and it's worse on the right side of my body. Sooner or later I'm going to fall and I just pray it's onto something soft, and nothing gets broken. Shaking or flexing doesn't improve the tightness for me. I spoke with my neurosurgeon and appears mine is probably nerve damage he seems to think I'll have to learn to live with. I wonder about that of course. I had spinal fusion in 2000 and had immediate cessation of the tight feeling and the lagging feet, also other body functions returned to normal. For almost 2 years. Gradually though the functions have become much lessened. I don't know if I could handle another spinal surgery. Babbling, sorry! :(

Peace and Gentle Hugs,
  12. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I have RLS, the nighttime symptoms of which are improved by Klonopin. But I have terrible leg pain during the day. I started going to Physical Therapy again today, thank God. She said I had Plantar Fascitis in my feet (my feet hurt a lot too), and she said I had myofascial problems in my legs. She's going to work on it, and I have to do runner's stretches a number of times a day (the ones you do against a wall).
  13. boscosmom

boscosmom New Member

i have the leg tightening too....sometimes even heavy
  14. hensue

hensue New Member

Tried the grapeseed extract could not take it. Can anyone help I swell terribly in that area legs ankles and feet.
    Take klonopin helps pain some not the swelling and tightness and my sking is extremly dry all over what causes that? Anything that stimulates me cant take. I drink lots of water. Posted on another sight about swelling
    When i have a flare i hurt in my legs calves the most besides all over.
    Need help!
  15. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Get your spine checked for compressed discs. Also you are probably deficient in Manganese......Stay away from coffee, grapeseed extract, green tea, iced tea, and phytochemicals and tannins, until you build up your manganese. If you're already low in this you don't want to deplete it more.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
  16. limbo

limbo Member

I am wondering why mine are better, I'm taking D3 or spring is here. Mine were tight during the winter. I have been on klonapin for sleep forever. In fact it took me awhile to realize this. Duh!
  17. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I looked up klonopin. It is a phenolic compound. Phenolic compounds chelate minerals. Manganese is a mineral. Manganese is needed to help keep muscles, tendons, ligaments flexible and to keep them from drying out. Also water follows sodium. Manganese and sodium work hand in hand. It is totally possible that dry skin is a result of a Manganese deficiency.
  18. hensue

hensue New Member

I take Fibro care Malic acid it has a small amount of maganese in it. How much and where do you get it a day?
    Thanks woofman1
  19. woofmom

woofmom New Member

We tend to focus so much on antioxidants that we overlook minerals. Yes we need to eat fruits and vegatables. But we also need to eat meat. If I'm not mistaken organ meat is a great source of minerals. I've just begun to use Ligaplex II. I've just started seeing a Chiropractor. He and his staff are FANTASTIC. I got Ligaflex from them.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
  20. woofmom

woofmom New Member

There is also a great deal of info concerning Magnesium and Calcium. If I'm not mistaken, Magnesium is needed to help muscles relax. But we also need to keep them flexible. Manganese is needed for this. Calcium is needed to keep bones strong. But Manganese is needed for the discs in our spine. Without Manganese the discs become compressed and dry. When they become compressed and dry they are unable to absorb calcium. The calcium is then deposited on the outside of the bones of the spine. And the heart is a muscle. We need to keep it flexible also.