Anyone have "memory/learning survey" with SSDI dr?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cabbie, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Cabbie

Cabbie New Member

Has anyone had this test for SSDI? What does it involve? I'm scheduled for it Monday. The problem is that if I rest for 2 days before so I feel well enough to even go to the dr, (like I usually do when I'm going somewhere), then my mind is clear & I'll do well on the test, which I don't want to do. If I get so exhausted before the appointment so that my brain fog is bad, then I won't even feel able to get to his office (although office is only 20 min. away & husband will drive me).

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Cabbie
  2. bosoxbratt

bosoxbratt New Member

Hi there
    I dont have any info for you sorry but wanted to ask you to let us all know what you had to do and what it entaled I am scheduled for it as well in a couple of weeks not sure what to expect thanks hang in there
  3. llama

llama New Member

I went through psychological testing scheduled by SSDI. I also didn't know what to expect.

Here's how it was for me: first I was interviewed for about 20 minutes on my overall mental health history.

Then for the next 3+ hours, I had every imaginable memory/learning test. It was repeating stories that were told to me..putting pictures in the sequence in which they would occcur...figuring out puzzles on paper and even using actual children's blocks. I can't remember the rest..duh! brain fog.

The psychologist immediately told me that he could all ready tell that my performance on the tests weren't going to necessarily help my cause...I was doing too well!!

However, by the time I left the office I was nearly in tears from the intense, non-stop mental exertion (also physical fatigue). Luckily my husband had driven me there b/c I don't think I would have been able to drive myself home.

Later, when I was processing all that happened, it really angered me b/c they didn't record the aftermath of this ordeal. They didn't appreciate the toll it took on my body and mind for several days after. And lastly, it was a very quiet, controlled environment which helped me to do well. Had I been in a noisy, busy office..totally different story.

So as far as I'm concerned, I was "set-up" to succeed.

I don't know how much this summary has helped you or if your testing will be the same as what I was put through?

Good Luck....one last piece of advice (I'm not going to tell you to lie...) tell them to slow down, get up and walk around, if some exercises are particularly difficult, tell them that you can't do anymore etc...don't try to be superwoman.

BTW..I'm awaiting my ALJ hearing, supposedly I should be hearing something in mid to late summer.

.............Jill.............
  4. Cabbie

Cabbie New Member

Jill - Your test sounds like a real ordeal. I would be exhausted from 3 hours of such mental exertion, and I agree that the days following are usually the worst. And if I'm there for 3 hours and if they don't let me eat lunch I'll really zone out; I have hypoglycemia and can't skip meals. I wasn't given any idea how long the testing would take, but you've given me a good idea of what to expect.

Bosoxbratt - I'll let you know what happens, but if mine is like Jill's, it might be a few days before I have the enery to get on the computer again!

Cabbie

5. bosoxbratt

bosoxbratt New Member

Hiya
    I just wanted to wish you luck on Monday and also thank you ahead of time to let me know what it was all about and how you did feel free to eamil me if this board is to hard I had a heck of a time finding this post again LOL I dont remember what I have read so I was stuck on a few pages I think anyway my email is bosoxbratt2u@aol.com
  6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

this might sound rediculious but when i went i was interviewed about my mood and how i was doing my memory test was a joke in this room there was a table chair phone and a clock on the wall that was it in the whole room the dr asked me to remember this and repeat it back the phone clock table chair how could anyone miss that there was nothing else there im sure he was paied big bucks for that hard test good luck to you charlene
  7. Cabbie

Cabbie New Member

I called the doctor's office and asked how long I would be there and he said about an hour. I tried to do a lot this weekend to tire myself out, so I'll have brain fog tomorrow. It's crazy - I spend so much time pacing myself so I won't crash, and now I'm trying to crash for tomorrow.

I'll let everyone know how the test goes.

Cabbie
  8. bosoxbratt

bosoxbratt New Member

Hi there
    I just thought I would check in to see how you made out on your testing i hope it wasnt to stressful and hopefully you had a good experience. Just wanted to let you know you were being thought of . Take care