Anyone have mild OCD???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0909, Oct 10, 2005.

1. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Hi
    I think I have always had some symptoms of OCD.......everything in the house had to be symetrical...ornaments.... furniture....everything in its exact place...loads of weird things.

I remember when I met my husband.... he moved the rug in my bathroom with his foot when he was washing his hands and I thought.....DONT LIKE HIM LOLOL!!
    Now I have fibro I cannot do my cleaning because of pain and bending down or stretching up and it drives me insane that I cant keep up with things.Ggrrrr.

I accept that I have to let things go because I cannot do them but I find it hard.
    I also have a strange ritual!!Where I have pictures on the walls I flick my 2 thumbs up and down the wall (when I am just sitting down)in between all the pics!!!!!!!!!

I am strange lol!!

Anyone else???
    I hope so!

Rena
    My daughter has similar problems but does not have fibro(I hope she never gets it)

2. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

I have always been a bit of a neat freak...clean with toothbrush and want things in there place. Hubby use to get so upset b/c I would stay up all hours of the nite cleaning over and over...
    Now my house is a mess and I HATE it drives me so crazy. Now hubby does house work and I appreciate it and I guess he does a good enough job but if I move the trash can and see gunk or something I just go nuts...have really had to hold my tounge as I know he is doing his best taking over so much cooking, cleanin and taking care of DevinLee along with working full time...need to do something spcecail for him...
    your not strange...the rest of the world is...hehe
    Amy
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

It wasn't too bad when she was younger according to my husband's family... altho OCD can take many forms... she over- worried about things/got angry easily when things didn't go right, would overwork herself working full-time and cleaning house and cooking; she later started to let it interfere with her relationship with her husband as they got older as well. Well, there's always something not quite right, right?...

My husband got her to take some anafranil/clomipramine (same thing, one name is generic, other is trade name) as she was getting worse with age (now 88, FIL is 95) about 10 years ago. It really helped her a lot.

They now live with us as she's losing her memory, and at one point recently started to busy herself lining things up etc. but with no point due to memory loss; her med was increased a bit, made the difference, so now she can relax and not be on edge.

My daughter has a similar ocd - interestingly, while she's a slob (while MIL was VERY neat), she worries/obsesses about everything equally in her life no matter how important or unimportant. She is also now taking the same med, and it worked wonders for her as she was getting very depressed/angry; we were worried about it interfering with her life.

AND I can personally sympathize with you greatly about not being able to clean properly tho. I have something a bit different, but don't know what to call it -

- when I was 18 I had meningitis associated with mono for a year. Ever since then when I feel badly, I need things to be in perfect order... except that's when I have no energy to do it! So I know how frustrating it can be!!!!

If I feel good, I don't care (altho I'm still not as much as a slob as my daughter or rest of family, LOL).

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  4. brneyedgrl

brneyedgrl New Member

I also have had mild OCD. I still have a few problems with

it. My worse symtom was counting things over and over like

ceiling tiles and floor tiles. Then I would count them in

groups of two and fives. I would have never thought

this was a disorder. I could not stand a picture that

would hang crooked on a wall. I'm glad I'm not as bad

as I used to be.

Brneyedgrl
  5. susabar

susabar New Member

I also have had "mild" OCD since childhood....

I found the Clonazepam really helped allot with that and my general anxiety

6. JLH

JLH New Member

I have never talked with a doc about it, so I have never been diagnosed with it; however, my girls will often tell me in a "joking" fashion that I have it!

And ... I really think I might have a mild case.

Every since I was a child, I have always had to have everything perfect. When living at home, everything in my room had a place, and it was ALWAYS in its place. I could tell if someone had been in my room and touched anything, or even leaned up against my bed (due to the wrinkles in my bedspread)!

My wanting everything to be in its place and be perfect continued on in my life! While working, everything that I typed or did must be perfect, or I would re-do it until it was perfect.

At home, everything still has its order. My canned goods in my cabinets are in a specific order, so I used to not let anyone else help me put the groceries up in fear that they would not put them in the same place. When my girls became teenagers, they knew how I was and always put the groceries up to my liking. Now, when I'm not feeling well after grocery shopping and my grandsons help put up groceries, I have to just let them put them up where they want and the next day, I go back and rearrange them to my system!

I also had to laugh about the rug straightening! I have one bathroom where the rugs are a little worn on the bottoms and they slide a little. Every single time I pass this bathroom, I look to see if the rugs need to be straightened because people with mess them up when they are in there and don't straighten them back!

My house may be a little messier now because I'm not able to clean as often, but I still know where everything is and if it is out of place!!

Everything that I do is for a certain reason--the way I stack my pots and pans, the way I line up my canned goods, the way I fold my towels, the reason why I enter one way into the mall and exit another way!

When I go to bed at night, I re-check the doors to make sure they are locked a couple times. I do a lot of double-checking things!

I have a big hang-up on worry and fear. I worry about everything and everybody. I am also afraid of everything and everybody that I don't know! My kids tell others that if there is anything to worry about, that their Mom will worry about it! and ... you name it, and I'm afraid of it!!

I was an overprotective parent because of fear. I was afraid to let them play outside--afraid that they would get run over by a car, afraid they would get bitten by a snake or stung by a bee, afraid they would get hurt by something, afraid they would get kidnapped ... you get the picture!

Now I'm older and the kids are gone, but I still have everything in its place at home, cry over the fact that I can't keep everything perfect, get upset when everyone moves "my stuff" just to play a joke on me, and go behind others who move or put up something in its wrong place.

I guess I have it!! But I can't take a pill for it because I take too many pills now!!!!!!!!!!

I'm crazy, worried, and afraid!
    Janet