Anyone have morning shakes? Anyone anything like this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nightngale, Feb 23, 2007.

1. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I think I posted this before but am giving it another shot. When I first wake up I start trembling in bed. When I get up to use bathroom, it gets worse. (This is in the am)like 6:eek:o when hubs gets up. I take my beta blocker and xanax and lay down till 8:30, feeling like I would die if I had to get up while hubs gets ready for work and races out.

Then at 8:30 when I have to seriously try to get up I tremble and shake for 30- 45 minutes, I have to sit in bed or lie down but I try to sit up because if I lay down I want to go back to sleep. I take 2 mg of klonopin at bedtime. I think I stay up too late 11:30 12;00 or later reading but I love to read.

I have POTS but my cardio thinks it is anxiety. It is not as bad on weekends when I know I don't have to rush anywhere, but it is still there. My PCP is actually sending me to Johh Hopkins to a neurologist because no one can figure it out!!! It is almost just like a horrible nuisance now, but it doesn't feel good, and I hate it. The doc is taking forever with the paperwork though!

Before I took the Beta blocker my heart would race and blood pressure really jump around. Because of the POTS.

I just never ever see this particular weirdness mentioned anywhere on any site about anything. I have CFS and Fibro and GAD according to Docs. I think the Tramadol is causing a real kick of mood problems.

This problem was worse before the meds. Really kiced in when real stress kicked in. Almost feels like constant sress overload. 3

Just had a bunch of blood work done by new rheumy so we will see. Though everything has always come up normal.3

This year got dry eye being tested for Sjogrens. And worse worse fatigue in arms. Neck hurst, left arm hurts, arms fatigued. I didn't know it would get worse like this!

Please help!

Thanks all...

2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Whenever I see ‘morning shakes’, I think hypoglycemia. Try eating something that includes some simple carbohydrate, complex carbohydrate, and protein. The simple carbohydrate will bring your blood sugar up quickly, but will also let it fall quickly. The complex carbohydrate and protein will maintain your blood sugar level for at last a couple of hours.

If that helps, try a low glycemic bedtime snack (hefty snack/small meal). That should help prevent your blood sugar from getting so low overnight.
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

but it is worse then i feel it is from muscle tension do you think you have chronic myofascial pain at all? charlene
  4. Daisys

Daisys Member

I was having that same thing, and figured it was the new med I was on, or hypoglycemia. Turns out it was my adrenals being under supported because I forgot to add the half cortef after putting one in each mornings pile. As soon as I noticed it, and added it in, the shakiness went away.

If you're not on isocort or cortef, you might want to talk to your doctor about it.

There's also products in health food stores for supporting the adrenals.
  5. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking maybe it is some sort of adrenal burnout. The rheumy did a "random corisol test" whatever that means, total of 5 vials of blood, most tests I'd had before, but a few more re: Sjogrens and such,. I will see him Thursday and bring is some literature on adrenal stuff. I had mentioned it, it was my first visit with him, but can't that come out negative? I heard the saliva test was better? Are the OTC supplements as good as say your rx for cortef? Maybe I should print out my post. It only happens real bad like that in morning, however if I do hard physical work I notice bad shaking. But the morning thing is weird, like i cant even get up or I feel worse and worse and my bp starts jumping around. I guess I better record a record of what it does if I dont sit. I will try putting food by my bed, but have tried that before too!
  6. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Not sure what that is but will look it up!
  7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Putting the wrong kind of food by the bed can just make you worse, unless you get up and eat something else within 15 - 20 minutes. Eating something with a high glycemic index and then dozing off will cause you to wake up later with even lower blood sugar.
  8. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Yup. I got this too.

Morning weakness/shakiness/tremor feeling inside my body.
    Im also hypoglycemic and have symptoms of dysautonomia along w/ CFS and also GAD! I eat right away sometimes it helps but sometimes that feeling stays w/ me all day. Just depends if im having a bad day i guess.

9. Daisys

Daisys Member

The adrenals normally vary, I think they're supposed to be higher in the morning, and less at night. Anyway, they say if you can sleep between 11pm-1. or 7am-9, those 2 times are good for the adrenals to replenish themselves. They say if you're awake then, you'll be more energetic and use it up. I try to get to sleep before 11 because of that reason.

I don't know that a random test would show much, but maybe your rheumy knows what he's doing.

I said that about OTC, in case he comes back with the old "test is normal so no problem" response, and you're on your own. I have no expertise here, so no advice. I hope your doc is onto this issue and helps you--messing with hormones scares me, and I've been very appreciative of the doctors who've helped me in this area.

Most people (maybe all) with CFS have problems with the hypothalamus/pituitary/adrenal axis. It may account for all of the symptoms. So, it's a balancing act to support all of them, and the thyroid too, without throwing everything off. So, if your doctor has no help for you, another doctor might be the answer.

The 2 doctors who helped me are a naturopath, and an integrative MD who studied the Teitelbaum protocol, which emphasises hormonal support. I found him by going to the Vitality101 site and clicking on practitioners, and then finding my area.

Hope you find the solution soon. That shakiness is no picnic!
  10. MsE

MsE New Member

I, too, wake up feeling sort of trembly. It usually goes away after I've been up a few minutes. If not, food helps. Protein is best. Peanut butter on whole wheat bread works. When it's really bad and I can't wait to eat, I use a glucose tablet to hold me over.
  11. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Maybe I am having a kind of anxiety attack. My life is so stressful I mean like really bad. Well we will see what the neurologist says at the big nice hospital. THe last one said it was probably klonopin withdrawl! And I had it before I ever took it.
  12. dixie22

dixie22 New Member

I have the shakes but it is on the inside ...like I'm trembling on the inside....
  13. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

No, you are not alone. I have the same problems and literally feel like I am dying in the am. Don't let people tell you it is just anxiety. I believe, as others here have said, that your hormones (HPA Axis hormones) are not supporting you in the morning. Actually a whole lot of chemical and hormonal changes occur when we wake up.

In you and me these changes are not happening as they should perhaps -- not at the right time or the right quantity. By the way, this may well be below radar, meaning they won't see anything on the rheumy tests. Some doctors treat hormones that look okay on tests. Some don't.

I call it a physical anxiety attack.

My heart feels it too and I can feel ready to have a heart attack all day if I don't take it slow.

Is it possible that it is not as bad on the weekends because you are not being awakened so early? Or not by an alarm? See if you feel better when you wake up on your own. Try taking the beta blocker at night so some is in your system when you wake up? Of course check with your MD on that.

It's horrible. I have it too. I have to get up at least two hours before needing to leave the house and go real slow. Not that that solves everything by any means. It started with the other CFS symptoms.

I am sorry for you. I truly understand. Sometimes that helps a little. I know it helps me just to feel I am not in an alternate universe alone (we're all in an alternate universe with these ailments).

Best wishes.
  14. MsE

MsE New Member

Exactly! The trembling is on the inside with no noticeable shakiness in limbs, hands, etc.
  15. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Mornings are always a challenge for me. I don't shake/tremble but I feel very sore, stiff, weak, and really dizzy ... I worry about falling.

1) I have a cast iron type bed and I grab hold of it and pull myself to a sitting position

2) I sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes trying to get myself ready to stand. I do some stretching type movements.

3) I stumble to the bathroom

4) I live in a split level so I lean againsst the wall (back against wall usually) and go down the 6 steps one foot then the next (sideways)

5) If I am having a fairly good time so far I go to the kitchen and feed kitty and sstart some coffee. (If not I collapse in recliner until I can get it together.)

6) Then I go to my recliner, turn on tv and watch some news while I take my first round of meds then get a cup of coffee when it is ready.

7) About an hour or so after I havee been up, I determine if I am capable of showering. SSometimes I have to wait longer.

8) I get dressed

I have to get up 2-3 hours before work just to get in condition to go to work ... lol. Luckily it only takes 5 mins to drive to work.
  16. nightngale

nightngale New Member

oh louisk that is it: physical anxiety attack. That is what I have been calling it for years. After all these years I am being sent to John's Hopkins where my PCP said a bunch of neuros will get together and try to figure it out. Well I hope they do! I feel adrift in an ocean of uncertainty. Alternate universe is exactly true. You and the others are the only ones who can possibly understand. It made me cry just to read your posts. It does help to know I"m not alone and just keep trying to act normal. Thank you again and I hope to God someone can help me one day, and all of you too. If I could just lay there with no worries till 10 am or so It is better but STILL there cause then I feel guilty that it is too late ..............I dont get it. So tired now Id better go lay down. I can't take more than half my beta blocker or I dont' sleep. Will have to work on that one. I think my psych doc will prescribe sleep meds. I am lucky to have some really good docs, but am having a hard time lately with some.
    Peace and love to all

Laila
    [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2007]
  17. nightngale

nightngale New Member

bomp uh duh i mean bump
  18. clerty

clerty New Member

Hi

I get this all the time everymorning I wake up my heart races and I feel sick palpitations I hate this feeling I cant get back to sleep after this.
  19. nightngale

nightngale New Member

You should have the palpitations checked out. Even it they said it is nothing, maybe someone can help you. Don't give up!
  20. clerty

clerty New Member

Had loads of cardc tests my are fine just stress and stress
    of being unwell.
    Beta blokers make ill