Anyone have only CFIDS and take guai?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Madelyn, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Has anyone been prescribed guai who does NOT have fibro? I have been on a high dose for 7 months. I have been reading here how it helps fibro sufferers but I'm unclear on what it's doing for me. Note: I have so far, unexplained breathing problems sometimes. Anyone?
    Madelyn
  2. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

as the guai protocal considers cfids & fms as the same illness. I have only cfids - I did it for a few months & upped the doses at the right times ect. but felt no difference - I probably should have done it longer. I also never had the mapping done - I just had my doc. prescribe it & tried it on my own. Hopefully somebody else will come along with more info. for you. Keep us posted on how the guai is working. Amy
  3. desertlily

desertlily New Member

This is one I've never heard of - could someone please tell me what the guai protocol is? Thanks!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know it has helped tremendously with the symptoms of FMS, especially the pain. Unfortunately, if I do not stay on antibiotic treatment, my CFIDS symptoms return. The jury is still out on whether they are one and the same illness as Dr. St. A believes. I believe there are a whole bunch of illnesses, including the autoimmune like Lupus and MS, and many other diverse conditions like ADHD and annorexia which have some common element(s); however, I believe there can be many triggers to people already genetically predisposed and treatment may depend on the trigger(s). It is impossible for me to say that the Guai did not help my CFIDS, but, personally, I do not feel it has.

More info on the Guaifenesin treatment can be found by reading Dr. St. Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA," or you can use a search engine to find his website. You can use the search feature here and find recent posts dealing with the topic. Sorry to pass the buck on the explanation, but the treatment, the theory, and the protocol are not simple and easy to describe to make it understandable.

Love, Mikie