Anyone have pain like this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Oct 1, 2009.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have had aching before (I have FM), of course, but right now it is mainly going down my hips and into my pelvis area. I am wondering if it is a gyno problem or just fibro. I am debating going to the gyno but don't wanna go for nothing. Any opinions?

PS I posted this before, but changed the title to bump it up for some more opinions now that I clarified a bit in the posts below. I have a gyno appt for Nov 5, but wonder it I need it sooner... If other FMers have this too, I guess I am probably ok to wait.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2009]
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My fibro is mostly aching. However, it is easy to blame all your symptoms on FM. I learned the hard way.

I would see the gyno or talk to your PCP.

Good luck.

3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

It sounds just like my fibro pain.
  4. lynncats

lynncats New Member

long story, but mine turned out to be uterine (sp?) fibroids. Same kind of pain you are describing. Go to the dr. This all started before i was Dx'd with FM so not sure if it is related. But the surgery fixed the "periods", LOL. As for the pain/aches, no, they are still there, so I'm assuming that FM does play a role.

My sis has been also experiencing this pain, and tho she doesn't have FM, she is going to have it all "taken out".

Good Luck!!

Sorry to ramble!

5. SwatWife525

SwatWife525 New Member

Can I have all of mine "taken out"? And I do mean ALL of it!

Everything I own aches, especially my hips, legs, etc. I have my own rendition of "Head and shoulders, knees and toes" tuned to all of my aches. My husband thinks I'm crazy b/c I hurt so bad, yet I still have a goofy song(s) for it. I'm a walking musical LOL

I would still get it checked out though. The last thing you want is something that is to late to take care of.
  6. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Aching is what is called an unspecific (or nonspecific) symptom. It is also a common symptom that occurs in a number of diseases and disorders.

The most specific diagnostic for fibro at the present time is tender point evaluation. If you are concerned that your aching may be related to fibro, you can ask your physician to do this eval, or to refer you to someone like a rheumatologist who would do it.

If your tender point eval is positive, then before FM is a confirmed DX, there are numerous other things that technically (according to the diagnostic criteria established by the American College of Rheumatologists) need to be ruled out as possible sources of your discomfort, before the FM diagnosis is given.

At the present time, outside of tender point eval, FM diagnosis is primarily a diagnostic activity of excluding, through testing and imaging, numerous other possible sources of the pain.

Best wishes.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You are getting close to a question that I have been wondering about for a long time.

What other type of diseases get this horrific aching feeling that drains you?

I know that completely different conditions can have overlapping symptoms but have always wondered if there is some other neurological disease that also has the aching.

I even wrote a post on this a few years back. I don't remember if I had any responses.

I would think that any condition has the possibility of making us feel worse.

If anyone knows of this, please post.

LvJesus, good luck and let us know how things go.

ETA I sometimes get a lot of pain on the outer side of my hips when sleeping and my rheumatologist thought it was bursitis. Now I am wondering if it could be my tender points? I also get the same thing with my inner side of my knees. I sometimes sleep with a pillow between my knees. This is another tender point. However, it may just be a coincidence or bursitis. I have not noticed any pain where my other tender points are unless someone presses there as in the tender point tests.

[This Message was Edited on 10/02/2009]
  8. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Oh, my. So many possible causes of aching.

Infectious processes, acute or chronic/subclinical.
    Toxin/endotoxin/poison exposure -- myotoxins esp. common with exposure to certain molds.
    Orthopedic conditions, congenital or acquired, acute or chronic.
    Autoimmune diseases, many of have generalized aching.
    Neurological conditions, central or peripheral, congenital or acquired.
    Many different disease processes.
    Anything that affects your enzymes globally can cause muscle/soft tissue aches.
    Certain cancers. Many forms of chemo.

This isn't by any means a complete list, just hitting some of the highlights, general groups of disorders that can cause generalized aching.

There's a humongous list on WrongDiagnosis. (org or com?) of over 800 possible causes of aching. Many of these aren't things that one would typically have to rule out in making a fibro diagnosis, but -- look at the list. You quickly get the picture that aching occurs in a lot of diseases and disorders.

The inner knee tenderness could be part of fibro: see the tender point "dot map":

I use a spacer pillow when I sleep to protect my knee TPs.

Looking at the "official" tender points, I don't think the outer hips are on the map? Maybe a memory foam topper on your mattress would be helpful?

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2009]
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for pointing out the chart as brain fog is starting to take over and who knows how long it would have taken me to find it.

Actually, the tender point is where it is on the chart. I guess my description where I hurt was clear as mud!!

I know I have FM however my curiosity especially with neurological diseases is if the aching comes from the same place in the brain and how these other disorders are treated.

I suspect that someone may have come up with this hypothesis but you never know.

10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Sorry, I was not clear enough, which often happens! I think I am saying what I mean and when I read it later, it does not really convey all that I intended. I have been diagnosed with FM since 2004. I am wondering if the pain I am having lately that is new to me is from the fibro or is it something else.

As someone said, it is very easy to put it all down to FM but sometimes it is not. But I hate going to the doctor and finding nothing else wrong too.

I think lynncats got my gist (although I don't know how from re-reading what I said!) but she did! :) Let me see if I can be clearer.

Let's say there is an imaginary line down the front of my torso that starts between my boobs and runs down to my pubic bone. To the left and right of that line there is a "line" of aching that runs down to my hip bones in a straight line then angles down to my pubic bone.

It is that tingly, electric charge feeling pain, like there is a current running inside your flesh. It is new and seems to follow a different pattern than the other aching. So I was wondering if this was possibly something else. I do need a regular gyno visit anyway, so maybe I will break down and go.

Thanks and God Bless!
  11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have the exact type of aching in my hips, knees that you do. I sleep with a pillow between my legs every single night. My Dr. actually thought it might be bursitis too until she asked if it was in the same hip. I said no. It really fluctuates and it's not always on the side I'm laying on. Weird.

I honestly don't know how people live with this aching that I have without some sort of relief. It is way beyond just going on through the day. It brings me to tears many times. I can't stand it. I often have knee pain in the middle of the night. PAIN. It wakes me up. I have to get up - no way can I lay there with it.

I had a strange experience the other day. I had an achey feeling in my lower back, I guess where your tender points are way down by your butt sort off. I kind of massaged that area - they were definitely tender, I suddenly got terrible pains in my upper back where my REALLY TENDER points are. That is the one place that no one can put any pressure on in the least bit.
    It was just really strange that touching one place would send horrible pain to another. Never had that before.
  12. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

bump back to the top for some fresh eyes... :)
  13. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

When I read all your pains I feel as if I'm listening to myself on a recorder.

I have to laugh because this really confirms 'I AM NOT CRAZY AFTER ALL"

I discovered those pressure shooters about a year ago. It's like marionette strings, you pull one string and and arm goes up, another and a leg moves. With us you touch a painful point and somewhere in your body you get a shooting pain that brings tears to your eyes.
    Are we screwed up or what?

I had a massage the other day that my daughter gave me for a Christmas gift (yea, sad it takes me nearly a year to use it, outings aren't my specialty). Anyway, as she is rubbing my left hip out I get the most unbelievable shooter pain in my left shoulder everytime she rubbed a certain spot. I'm yelling, STOP, STOP. She thinks I'm hollering about the pressure being too much but it was really the spot she was hitting. Sheesh, massages are supposed to be relaxing not put you through the roof.

14. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

I have had every gyno test known to womankind because of this DD.
    Belieive it or not sometimes your sciatica nerve can cause the kind of pain you are describing.
    I know we think of this nerve as causing pain in our back and down our legs but much to my dismay it can go up and out.
    It's still not a bad idea to have a check up. I have massive scar tissue in my abdomen from five c-sections and a hysterectom where my uterus was attached to my intestines due to previous scar tissue and believe me it's no better having it all taken out. In fact the hyster. was the trigger for me. If you can hang on to your female parts trust me it's better. It screws up all sorts of things.

Go to your appt. but don't go with expectations. You know how it is.
    But still it's better safe than sorry,
    Bless you,
  15. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I don't like to go and "waste" a visit but I need my pap smear anyway so at least that will get done if nothing else. I thought it was going away, but it is still hanging around here and there.
  16. singingirl

singingirl New Member

My pain doctor, that I am getting trigger point injections from told me my pain that sounds so much like yours could possible be a trigger point on my pelvic floor. Well she was right. My gyno checked for it (he is very much up on fibro) and man do I have one there. It hurt when he had to check. Prayerfully that is all yours will turn out to be.
  17. brie45free

brie45free New Member

There was a warning on a tv medical show I was watching. It was about people with fibro having a shorter life span because they don't go to the doctor when their hurting. They think "oh it's only my fibro" and it's not. It's cancer or a heart attack. So, I guess we have to take the chance and go to the doctor. Being embarrassed because it's just your fibro after all, is better then just blaming it on fibro and dying from something else.
  18. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

That is interesting about the trigger point on the pelvic floor, but I don't know that I am brave enough to ask about it and risk the pain!! LOL I still remember vividly that day that I was reading about tender points on the inside of the elbow and, thinking I did not have those, started poking around and WOW!!! I found that I had them after all!!! They hurt for the rest of the day!

It does feel like nerve pain though.
  19. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

That is interesting about the trigger point on the pelvic floor, but I don't know that I am brave enough to ask about it and risk the pain!! LOL I still remember vividly that day that I was reading about tender points on the inside of the elbow and, thinking I did not have those, started poking around and WOW!!! I found that I had them after all!!! They hurt for the rest of the day!

It does feel like nerve pain though.
  20. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

The problem with FMS is it could be that or you can have something else and it can agravate the FMS and then the pain excalates so I guess what I am saying is it could be both. Has your weather changed latey where you live. Mine did and I was doing well with the sunshine and now I am back in bed.