Anyone have Polymyalgia rheumatica

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

Saw my Rheumy today b/c my pain has been off the chart lately.

Have had severe neck, shoulder, back, hips and leg pain.
    And, every joint in my body hurts. I do have osteoarthritis, but have only had it in my shoulders, thumbs and hips . . . it feels as tho it's everywhere.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, Dr. did some blood work to see if I might have PMR.

Anyone else have this? Do you have it with FMS or instead of FMS.

Any personal info would be greatly appreciated. I did look it up on the web, but I would like more first person stories.

Good thing I like pea soup . . . cause I'm walking thru it every day now (LOL).

Thanks,
    Nikki
  2. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Hi, I checked your profile to see if you were old enough for PMR. You are, it strikes (mostly women) over 50. I was hoping that was what I had, because it can be treated and is not necessarily "permanent". I read info that says it can last 2-3 years. I have severe RA, I am 33.
    You can have PMR and FMS, but maybe yours is PMR and you can beat it. I hope so! God bless you and hope you get answers soon....the not knowing is the worst.
    Let me know if I can help.

P.S. My bday is Aug too, the 2nd.
  3. Nikki

Nikki Member

So sorry to hear you are dealing w/so many issues at once.

I was dx'd 3 yrs. ago w/FMS, CFS, osteoarthritis, Myofacial pain, bursitis in shoulders & hips, and tendonitis in arms & legs. But, it took 2 yrs. to get a dx.

I would think the PRM would be gone after 5 yrs. I'm just worried about having to take prednisone if it is PRM. And, I certainly don't won't it to be another problem.

I try to eat healthy. My weight is okay; I usually exercise (but really haven't been able to lately); and I go to massage therapy.

I never get colds or the flu; I usually get 1 sinus infection in the spring. Other than all the other syndromes, I'm just fine (LOL).

I think what's best for me is to live in the present, right?!? And, not borrow trouble. I'll just deal with the blood work when the results come back.

Thanks for your kind reply.

Hugs,
    Nikki

P.S. I love your Cuddle Bear. I want a pet so badly; but, my husband and I still enjoy traveling.
  4. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

Let me know how your bloodwork looks. I am curious to see.
    I will be hoping for you to get answers.
    Cuddles is my heart...I highly recommend getting a dog like him!
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Nikki, I don't have it but an older friend of mine did. If I recall correctly from what she told me, you only get it once and then "only" for around a year. She had it for a little over a year and now has RA.

She was given Prednesone for it as well as some other things from her rheumy that helped her a lot.

So sorry but maybe it's not as bad in the long run as untreatable FM. ?

Marta
  6. Nikki

Nikki Member

for all your replys.

I'll report back after I get the results of my blood work.

Hugs,
    Nikki
  7. fibrovet1

fibrovet1 New Member

Same thing. Fibro is also known by more than one dozen other words or phrases. Know as stiff lamb or white muscle disease it was cured in animals in 1957 through proper nutritional supplementation. It is a multiple deficiency disease caused by high intake of fried foods and vegetable oils(margarine, cooking oils and salad dressings) and deficiencies of Selenium, Vitamin E and sulfer amino acids (methionine, mysteine, cystene). Now you know the real information about true fibro. Twenty years suffering, 7 months in recovery. No polypharmacy and no fractionalized nutrition. Essential 90 nutrients plus Selenium and a few other supplements. It works and I am proving it in private research accross the country. It took a veterinarian to show me the way. Others did it, I did it and my research will prove it as well.
  8. Nikki

Nikki Member

What Research???

I don't eat fried foods, fatty foods or vegetable oils. I take my supplements and vitamins, exercise, yoga, massage therapy, I'm 5'2", 111#. My health is otherwise good.

And you're cured after 20 yrs of suffering.

Please let the Mayo Clinic in on your secret.

The Mayo Clinic calls Polymyalgia an inflammatory disease; as everyone here knows Fibromyalgia is not an inflammatory disease.

Why were you banned? Must have been a reason.

Nikki
  9. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I am still checking on you. Please let me know what you find out.

P.S. You are right....PMR and FMS are 2 different (but often similar) illnesses......my rheumy with several degrees and high military rank will tell you this.
    (Shands hospital at U of F differentiates between the two also.....)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/15/2006]
  10. Nikki

Nikki Member

My Rheumy has many yrs experience with both, too. He was a high ranking military vet, also.

I'm sure most everyone on this board has done lots and lots of research on their illness. That's why it's so nice to share our knowledge with other board members who come in search of answers or who just need support.

If Fibrovet1 got banned from this board previously, I don't believe it's from sharing what worked for him/her. Unless, maybe, there's a product involved. Or an announcement of a cure. He could be in remission and that's wonderful in and of itself. Even just a few weeks makes a world of difference.

I could be wrong . . . so Fibrovet1, I'm sorry. But, if you do have something to share that's worked for you, please tell us what it is.

SPR30 - thanks again for your concern. I'm hoping to know something next week. This time, I'm gonna ask for a copy of my blood work so I can review it myself.

Fibro Hugs,
    Nikki