Anyone have problem with hair growth?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetClo, Dec 13, 2002.

1. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

Don't know if this is related to the FM but it just seems like my hair and nails don't grow as quickly now as they did 6 months or so ago. Normally my hair appt is every 4 weeks, but for the past 2 times I have had to reschedule because my hair just hasn't grown out enough to cut again. Anyone else notice this?

Annette
  2. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

Don't know if this is related to the FM but it just seems like my hair and nails don't grow as quickly now as they did 6 months or so ago. Normally my hair appt is every 4 weeks, but for the past 2 times I have had to reschedule because my hair just hasn't grown out enough to cut again. Anyone else notice this?

Annette
  3. selma

selma New Member

But it sure saves money and time. LOL
    Worry does not promote hair growth. Take good care of yourself.
    Love, Selma
  4. sheri

sheri New Member

As a former cosmetologist and teacher of such, what is considered "normal" is about 1/2 inch of new hair per mo. and 1/8th re; the nails. I do know growth slows down in time and seasons. I used to have my clients come in for trims every 6 weeks, unless it was one the few whose hair grew faster. Scalp massage can stimulate the papilla, source of blood supply to the hair root and encourage growth too.Same with nails, those who use typewriter or fingertips often, usually see faster growth of nails. Personally, I haven't seen FM affecting my own hair growth.I am wondering about certain medications though. Certain medications can cause a slowing effect, as can systemic illnesses. We are complex creatures aren't we.:)
    Anyway, good that it isn't falling out!! Try massaging your scalp(not hair) when you shampoo, and when watching tv. massage also around the fingernails. blessings, sheri
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I did have a problem with the nails for years. But for the last 3 months they started to grow like they used to, and they are hard and not cracking anymore.

For years I simply keep them cut short, as they only grew and cracked if I tried to let them get long.

As for hair, I have not had a problem, in fact it grows much too fast, I have to cut it every few months to keep it from going pass my waist.
    I do brush it often, and massage my scalp when I wash it. I do not go to beauty parlors, I take care of it myself. Always had a problem with the odors in beauty parlors, have chemical allergies.

The only thing I have done differently in the last two years, is to start drinking water, taking Malic Acid and Magnesium, and ZMA in the last 9 months. As for the nail growth, like the other lady said, I have been typing again in the last two years.

As long as your hair is not falling out, I would not worry about it.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

but I'm only taking Estratest, Clonidine and amitryptiline for sleep and zanaflex. I'll ask the pharmacist tomorrow if any of these could slow down hair growth. Of course, worry almost certainly contributes. But I'm a dedicated worrier and I can't seem to help myself. What a life

Hugs
    Annette
  7. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I don't have a problem with my hair growing slowly - I have the opposite problem! I read that you're taking Estratest. I take it too. My doctor told me it has testosterone in it. I think that's what's making me grow hair in places I don't want it. How do you like taking Estratest? I'd like your opinion. Thanks.

By the way, when I went through menopause I had problems with my hair being dry and brittle.

Annette2
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My hair grows normally in hot weather, but in cool it slows way down. Don't know why. Just notice I need to do a "root job" every 3 weeks in summer and every 6-7 wks. in winter. Big difference. My nails have wavy, horizontal ridges in them known as "Beau lines",which are supposed to indicate serious illness. When I first got FMS, my hair was falling out all over, but that stopped after about 2 weeks.
    Klutzo
  9. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I've been taking the Estratest for about 5 or 6 years and I like it okay. At least I don't have the hot flashes when I take it and Ronnie (hubby) says I'm much easier to get along with when I'm taking it. And it gets me into the gyno's office once a year for a PAP and mammogram since my doc will only write the script for one years worth of Estratest and it can't be refilled without a written script. Sneaky little devil isn't she???
  10. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Thanks Annette! I don't know if my hot "spells" are from menopause or something to do with the FMS. When I see my gynecologist in a few weeks I'm going to ask her. My sister takes Estrace and maybe I'll switch to that!

Annette2