Anyone have problems using new sheets or blankets?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Beadlady, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I got new sheets for Christmas, I washed them today with vinegar which generally helps to get that new smell out.

By the time I got them upstairs my throat was sore, my nose & eyes are burning.

I guess maybe I should have washed them again or ran them through another rinse cycle.

I told my husband no way are we putting the new sheets on the bed until they have been washed a few more times.
  2. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

the water around here is as hard as a brick. And the way we found out was a swan! A REAL one! The poor creature was covered in "mess" so we had to wash it (I volunteer at a bird rehab center). Well, we used Dawn and we rinsed. And rinsed. And rinsed. It wasn't until another volunteer pointed out the water situation and we added Calgon. Bingo! Clean swan!

Even if you don't have hard water, it can't hurt to try. I also use Dreft, as not only does it clean the clothes, but my skin is sensitive as well.

Soft hugs,
    Stacey
  3. IanH

IanH Active Member

All the people with MCS use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Half a cup per gallon. They need to be soaked for two days then washed normally. Baking soda removes the formates from the fabrics, which is what is causing your symptoms. Baking soda is also sometimes supplied with new refrigerators to remove the plastic residue from the inside of the appliances.
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

and coughing within 5 min. Most of the new fabrics are loaded with chemicals. I also bought a new set of sheets. They're wearing terribly bad. Wish I could load up on old sheets from years ago.

Stacy. Interesting volunteer work you do!