anyone have ringing in their ears?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teller7, Dec 27, 2004.

1. teller7

teller7 New Member

My ears are driving me crazy. Sometimes the ringing is louder than the tv. I do have sinus problems bad and my throat is sore alot. I told the dr about it, and he didn't seem concerned. He said it's just part of my problem. So what do I do now? Any suggestions?
    Carol
  2. mistress-o-pain

mistress-o-pain New Member

Hi Carol,
    I turn up the TV and sleep with either it or the radio on. I was told there is nothing they can do about it and this dose help some.
    Best wishes
    Fran
  3. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Carol,

Mine is not a ringing, it is a buzzing sound. Drives me nuts. I have chronic sinus problems. Been to allergist. Meds only help slightly. On Zyrtec in the am and supposed to use nose spray at night. Nothing helps.

You are not alone. When I sit quietly, like now tryng to type it drives me insane. During the day at work there is enough noise around to drown it out.

I think that is one of the reasons I do not sleep well also.

Phyliss
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This can be ringing, buzzing, humming, and clicking. It is often associated with teeth clenching.

I get it worse at night, but the Klonopin helps with it a lot.

Love, Mikie
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I too have ringing in my ears 24/7 and a lot of sinus/allergy problems..In fact this is how my cfids started. Have been
    to an ENT doc but he didn't seemed concerned said in could be caused by the
    allergy/sinus problem gave me an antibodic
    and xanax for it..This was three years ago.

My regular doc seems to think it is part of the disease..and when I am in a flare
    it is sooooooo much worse..Rather than the
    sore throat that most of you describe with
    cfids I have the sinus problem when I start flaring...and then in bed sometimes
    as long as a month...

I do take xanax regular which helps..

Good Luck,
    greatgran
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I have ringing and buzzing in my ears on a regular basis.
    I just live with it and think of it as part of the disease.

NyroFan
  7. another_painful_day

another_painful_day New Member

I ALWAYS have ringing. I make a joke out of it now and say "OOOPS! my ears ringing kids, should I answer it???" and my kids usually laugh! I was suspected to have Mineires Disease (I was diagnosed, undiagnosed, diagnosed agian and then was told "well we will know more in a few years if you start losing your hearing...." even though I had a test showing nerve damage in left ear)a few years ago so thats one of the reasons why I get contant rushing noises and ringing.

You could go see an ENT, but alot of times they arent sure why tinitus is present. Sometimes its one of those "mysterious" things they dont have an answer for.

-Diane
  8. joyegail

joyegail New Member

i have it too, although it's not too severe, most of the time i don't even notice it anymore. It's been there for at least 25 years or more. Was told years ago it was tinnitus, and that i just had to learn to live with it, so i have. The only time it causes problems is when someone doesn't talk very loud, it can drown them out, LOL.

Deb
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is when I watch a movie or TV show where the background noise is so loud it is hard to hear what the actors are saying. I don't know whether it's the tinnitus or natural loss of hearing.

I suspect it is the tinnitus, though, because as the day goes on, I have to keep increasing the TV volume. As the day goes on, the tinnitus increases. The small 1/2 tablet of Klonopin doesn't help too much during the day, but when I take my nighttime dose, it does help.

I think the seizure activity in our brains is at least partly responsible for the tinnitus.

Love, Mikie
  10. Ellie

Ellie New Member

Of your ears and behind them, when I am in the shower and washing my face I lather up real good and hit the trigger points in front of the ear and behind the ear. You will know when you hit one as it really hurts. This will help with the ringing I also get fluid in the one ear and it helps with that also, Good Luck and Aloha Ellie
  11. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

Hi teller7,
    I've had this condition almost 24/7 for about 5 years. I find a product called AIR POWER by enzymatic therapy (it has guaifenisin in it) to be helpful. It reduces mucus build up in the body. I notice the tinnitus is worse when I eat any dairy which is when i will start taking the Air Power.

Also I discovered that the tinnitus is reduced the most by my use of estrogen. I think this is an individual response as I require estrogen for my overall immune system function. It is not practical or necessary for most, and it would not necessarily have the same effect on others.

I have heard of products carried by some drugstores that are suppose to help. I think one is even called Tinnitus-not sure of exact name. I think it has a lot of bioflavinoids in it. Don't know anyone who has tried it.
    ruby
  12. teller7

teller7 New Member

Thanks for your replys. Well, at least I know I'm not alone, going crazy so I guess I'll learn to live withs it too. This board is sooooooo helpful for all of us isn't it. Mikie, what is your nightly dosage of klonopin? I take clonazepam. At night I take a 0.05 mg tablet. Do you think maybe I could go for 1 mg?
    Thanks,
    Carol
  13. MsE

MsE New Member

Constantly! I have a little machine that allows me to choose a soothing sound to mask the noise. That helps at night. The rainfall sound seems to work best for me.

14. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Hi Carol: I had this a long time ago and they told me that I was taking too much asprin., which I probably was I stopped and so did the ringing.

I have heard of diff meds doing this to people...have you added anything new latley?

take care,

gail
  15. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Carol - I just read your profile. You are EXACTLY 10 years older than me - I was born October 29, 1950!!!! Isn't that neat?

My suggestion would be to go to an Audiologist. They test hearing and can tell you what is causing the ringing. They can also send you to an ENT physician. (My husband is an Audiologist).

You need to find out what is causing this. Your doctor is not right to not be concerned. You need a new doctor. I wish you luck and hope you find someone who can help you!!!!

BxGirl

16. fairqueen

fairqueen New Member

but have just started ringing since I've been coming off of Klonopin (doc wants me off of it). It is so loud, especially a night--like right now. I thought it was interesting, Mikie, what you said about Klonopin helping to stop the ringing. That makes sense because I've been on Klonopin for at least 5 years and I have just noticed the ringing since decreasing my dosage.

By the way, I noticed, for the first time, on a web site about Klonopin, that my doctor should have been testing my liver enzymes via a blood test. He did not do this once in the whole time I've been on Klonopin. Should I be concerned???

Jan
  17. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

The Drs. used to ask me for yrs. if I had it and I always denied it. I always thought it was 'normal' so I never noticed it.LOL!
    I have it bad.I know it's from loud rock-n-roll for many yrs.(my hearing is not too good on one side)And also may be the vicodin I have taken for many yrs.(the acetaminophen)My TV always has to be turned up.I also noticed I talk louder,and people ask me why I am talking so loud.(has to be becasue of my hearing problems)I usually have the ability to 'not hear' it as it has been normla for me for so many yrs.
    Now when I talk to a Dr. about it,they ignore me.
  18. teller7

teller7 New Member

Wow, I am cracking up about the statement from the doctor that he doesn't know what causes the ringing, but if you find out let me know. I HONESTLY believe that when you have CFS or FM the doctors don't pay much attention to you anymore. Even mine who has been so good over the years just blows off anything I tell him. It really bothers me because I'm not making this stuff up. Sometimes I think they all think we're hypochondriacs. One doctor in my clinic thinks I have Labelle & Difference. That means there's nothing wrong with you and you just want attention. That REALLY ticked me off!!!!!!! He's the same doctor who told me to smoke pot. I told him no way. He said really it will help you. What quacks.

Also, I'm concerned about you fairqueen. If you have CFS klonapin will help your brain. Have you read the article from DR Paul Cheney about it? It's here in the library I believe. Also, Mikie knows alot about it.

If anyone knows about the DVD "I Remember Me" by Kim Snyder please let me know where I can get it.

Thanks again everyone for your posts.
    Carol
  19. fairqueen

fairqueen New Member

Hi Carol!

You know, the only reason I can think of why my neuro took me off of Klonopin is because I was falling asleep at the wheel. Now, that IS a good reason, but I'm of the opinion that he does not know much about fibro!!! In fact, he pretty much admitted that to me!

I have a lot of questions for him at my next appointment, and this time, if he doesn't like my questions (which he did not before), he's fired!!!!!

Thanks for your concern!

Jan

P.S. He also put me on Effexor and didn't tell me a thing about it. I don't like what I read!
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I take two tablets (1 mg.) at night and sleep really well. I tried to cut back to 1 3/4 tablet but didn't sleep too well so went back to two tablets. I'm in some kind of flare or have some kind of virus right now. My lymph nodes are swollen and I'm dizzy and tired. I decided it's not the time to try anything.

I would like to cut back because in July, I will be going up to help my daughter with her baby and I don't want to be groggy at night if I get up to feed him.

I only wanted to cut back to 1 1/2 tablets. I'll try again later.

Dr. Cheney thinks 1 mg. at night and .5 mg. broken up during the day is the usual dose after someone initially gets used to the drug. Perhaps you can try 1 1/2 tablets (.75 mg.) with your doc's OK. Good luck.

Love, Mikie