anyone have severe low back pain as i do??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blkkat, Jan 3, 2006.

1. blkkat

blkkat New Member

hi just wondering if anyone else here has severe back pain and just out of your mind pain in the low area down by your bottom? i've had every test, nerve test, MRI, scan done!!!! i have shooting, stabbing pain, with tingling all down my legs and toes. i can't stand for more than a few min. walk or sit without constant pain! and getting any sleep well i'm lucky to get 3 hours without waking. i'm on pain meds/neurontin/muscle relax but the pain is so severe! i have'nt had 2mins in over a year without this pain. i'm a mom 43 2 teenage kids and married. i'm at a 9-10 every day!! i'm lucky to shower, i can't cook, shop, be a mom WIFE anymore! i'm so tired! and alone. sorry kinda went on and on i guess its easy to cry and vent when i don't have to face someone. i geuss we all try to keep a smile on our face, when were really crying inside. boy i'll stop! there must be a full moon out! anyways thanks for your ear. HUGS! BLKKAT PS sorry not real good on this computer don't no how to space the lines so its easier to read.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/03/2006]
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I have the very same thing--had it since spring of 2005.

I have a pinched nerve between L4-L5 and S1 in my back. The chiropractor told me this is where it was because he could tell by which toes were affected. My right leg goes numb as well as the big toe and toe next to it.

NOTHING HELPS me. I live on a heating pad and Lortabs.

Have you gone to a chiropractor yet? An orthopedic surgeon?

I really feel for you. It is the most HORRORIC PAIN EVER!

Hugs,
    Janet
  3. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

I have been in tears all day from my back hurting...I wont go all into it again but if interested I have a post up now...IM SOO frustrated...
    I too have had the same tests and have sever nerve damage in my back and legs however the doc seems to only want to treat the FM and not the other problems...cause FM really has no "real" treatment so he gets off easy I think.

You might do a search here (top left corner) on piriformis syndrome...google it too...I have just ran across this info and I have it too...I could never figure out why my butt hurt so bad.

I hear ya on the wife/mom thing...I've been dealing with some major guilty there myself.

I pray everyday that each and everyone of us will find some peace soon
    Love and Hugs
    Amy
  4. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I don't have time to read all of what you all said, but I have a lot of lower back pain. It seemed to get really bad when I was trying to kill off the parasites with wormwood over a week ago. My low back is always out of alignment, speaking of which i need to get adjusted today..

Heat usually helps me. I will try to cold/heat thing someone mentioned. I also have psoriatic arthritis so I"m sure taht contributes.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Piriformis syndrome—
    another irritation to the sciatic nerve

Piriformis syndrome and sciatica pain

Piriformis syndrome is a condition in which the piriformis muscle irritates the sciatic nerve and causes pain in the rear and may cause pain along the back of the leg and into the foot (similar to sciatica pain). Piriformis syndrome is most common among women, and is thought to be common among active individuals (such as runners and walkers).

While there is some controversy in the medical community, many health professionals believe that an accurate diagnosis and comprehensive management approach are critical to alleviate the sciatica type of pain caused by piriformis syndrome.

What is the piriformis muscle?

The piriformis muscle is a small muscle located deep in the rear (behind the gluteus maximus).

The piriformis muscle:

Starts at the lower spine and connects to the upper surface of each femur (thighbone).

Functions to assist in rotating the hip.

Runs horizontally, with the sciatic nerve running vertically directly beneath it.

Piriformis syndrome can develop when the piriformis muscle becomes tight or spasms and places pressure on the sciatic nerve that runs beneath it. The pressure on the sciatic nerve can cause low back pain and/or pain that radiates to the rear and down the leg (similar to sciatica pain).

From a technical standpoint, piriformis syndrome does not cause true sciatica (as sciatica is usually defined as a radiculopathy, or compression of a nerve root as it exits the spine).

However, just like sciatica, piriformis syndrome can cause pain, numbness and tingling along the sciatic nerve, which runs down the back of the leg and into the foot.

6. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I am so feeling the same way. I am 49 and have 2 kids both home from college. I havent been the mom they know either and this is the first holiday season I have been affected with this disease. Hate it!!! You are right it is difficult to shower and I cant leave the house ever before noon ..my back and legs wont let me sit in a car!!!! I hope it eases up and the emotional pain of being a different person in a short period of time takes a very heavy toll!!! Here's to better days ahead!!!! :/
  7. lana33

lana33 New Member

I too have the low back pain. I have DDD, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, fm, and other dxs. I was told two years ago of the deg disc disease. My pain doc wants me to take injections in the spine for the pain (he asked if I wanted to take them). I of course don't. I have heard good and bad experiences from this treatment.

I have decided to keep with the pain meds and my other treatments for RA. I was told that the osteoarthritis is what is also causing the pain to my lower back.

I have had pain since before the holidays in both legs, both arms, both knees and both feet and hands. I am use to being in pain all the time even with taking pain meds. It usually doesn't hurt all over for me like it has been the last few weeks, however.

My pain level stays at a 8 or 9. I had gotten use to having it go down to a 6 or 7 sometimes but would probably feel like I was in remission if it fell that low now.LOL.

As you can see you are not alone. I am 45 with one teenager and husband. I also feel very useless to everyone right now. I hope you get some relief as I always hope for us all.

Hugs,
    Lana
  8. lana33

lana33 New Member

I haven't posted this question. But glad to know someone understands what I am going thru. I am sure plenty people here have this type of unrelenting pain.

But it had not been this way for me in a long time. And although I have had this type of pain before, it was always just for 1 or 2 days at a time. Not weeks!

I hope you get some relief soon, choc, and if you do something different that seems to help, let me know what it is.

Hugs,
    Lana
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

My whole 'not feeling right' began with low back pain that radiated into my butt and down my legs.
    The docs kept saying it was sciatica. (caused from what??)
    My right foot would get the pins and needles(prickly).

So finally after complaining and seeing a few drs......2 yrs later they sent me for a MRI which confirmed herniated disks and some minor arthritis.
    Minor?? sure FEEEEEELS major!!
    soon after I got a Fibro DX also.
    Then a few other things too.
    so needless to say I'm falling apart at the seems~
    Your not alone
    I know it sure feels like you are,...but trust me,. there are days when I cannot get out of bed because my low back is in such a tight spasm that I can't get up alone.
    I get to that half way up mark and I kinda lock up and just can't move!!
    I'm telling ya when your back is out of whack,your whole body/being is out of whack!
    makes doing almost anything very hard.
    I understand your pain~
    I'm so sorry your dealing with this added pain too :)
    hugs
    Tandy
  10. blkkat

blkkat New Member

HI! real fast thankyou for all your posts! you don't even know how much it means to me that i have you all to talk to!!! but i have'nt slept since( sorry cant spell) mon night maybe all of 4 hrs, i think now i have severe Rest. LEG i'm going crazy! so after i some how get some sleep so i can see straight and think i'll come back on and read all your posts like i said before if i did'nt have this site well i really would'nt have anyone to talk to about all my PAIN!!!!!! HUGS BLKKAT