Anyone have severe over heating problems?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lynda B., Jun 17, 2003.

1. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I do have "early menopause" but this is not hot flashes. (Started at about 36 and now 41) For years I have had heat intolerance but this summer it is the worse it has been since we discovered I had not estradial in my system. I do live in central Texas. When a run errands I am barely able to walk in the door. Just 2-3 hours or even going to the store. I sweat like crazy. The ONLY way to get cool is to put on skimpy clothes, put two fans on me, drink cool water, lay down in my room with no lights on and sometimes hold a cold pack. I law as still as possible for about an hour.

I am using tons of energy. I immediately start sweating and getting horribly hot just walking around my nicely air-conditioned house just picking up stuff, putting away clothes, straightening things, etc. Not even tough stuff.
    Put a call into GYN to see if she can help but nurse already said continual sweating is not normal. The fatigue due to feeling this way is driving me nuts. My pain level is actually pretty good but I can barely do anything because of this.

Just looking for thoughts.

Thanks,

Lynda B.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2003]
  2. DTJ6PPC

DTJ6PPC New Member

Hi Lynda, we seem to be in the minority of those with temperature intolerances, like you, I am very heat intolerant where as the majority of those on this board and elsewhere seem to be cold sensitive.

For me it has gotten worse over the last 5 years, now any time temperatures exceed 80 degrees F. here in the Southern California area I can expect a constant sweat. You are the first female that I have encountered with this sensitivity, others have been males. Another unusual sweating occurance for me happens when laying down to rest or falling asleep, which seems unusual since there is no activity involved.

Like you I am primarily affected by extreme fatigue with very few pain issues compared to others on this board. Even though I am heat sensitive I still have cold/numb toes/feet.

Ive only had one doctor respond to this heat sensitivity issue, and he felt that it was related to the body temperature control within the thyroid/pituatary/adrenal mechanisms, but he did not get specific as to the relationships nor did he have a cause or cure for this sensitivity........Don in Redondo
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2003]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. St. Amand says this happens when our mitochondria are unable to produce energy and instead only produce heat. I do not know if this is true or not.

Love, Mikie
  4. BabsFl

BabsFl New Member

I have the same problems. I had a hysterectomy in 1999 and I thought it might have something to do with it but I guess not. I live in Florida I am intolerent to extreme heat and cold but I can sweat being in the house in the a/c. I am starting to have night sweats. I woke up last night and my night shirt was all wet!! Our house was 70 with the a/c on I don't understand it either. When I go back to the dr. I am really going to question this. Glad you posted I was getting ready to post the same. Your not alone

Good Luck
    Barb
  5. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Hi Lynda,

I too am bothered by severe overheating,,,,I keep saying my thermostat is broke. I usually have so many other things bothering me by the time I make it to the doctor, that I really have never discussed this with him.

I also have a similiar problem as Don previously mentioned,,,I am most bothered by fatigue and I am sitting here in shorts, tank top, and WOOL SOCKS. I can be soooo hot I can hardly stand it, but, my feet will be like ice cubes.

In fact my A/C just starting not working in my van,,,,it has an appointment to be fixed. Cannot not tolerate the heat without A/C. Best of luck to you. Tulip
  6. BabsFl

BabsFl New Member

Bumpity Bump
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

are a strong indication of hypothyroidism. The thyroid is the thermostat for our body and if it's out of whack, we become very sensitive to heat and cold. I can't stand either, and I was raised in ND where chill factor gets to -90 at times. I can't stand it anymore, so stay indoors alot of the time, year round. See an endoc about your thyroid, and forget what your GP says....they always says it's "normal".

Marilyn :)
  8. Dorothy45

Dorothy45 New Member

I had a heat stroke when I was 7 years old, and I have not been able to tolerate heat since then. I am sure part of the problem, is that I don't sweat, and I don't drink enough water. Can you believe I live in Florida? I am "Dracula" during the summer. I don't go outdoors during the day, unless I am floating in water. I have troubleusing saunas and hot tubs too. My 13 year old daughter is the same way.
  9. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

AT least I know I am not alone. You know Don, I forgot. I get hot and start to sweat when I go to sleep. I have just gotten used to staying on top of the covers and not curling up or anything. I try to spread my limbs out and such so that no body parts are touching or I do sweat too. Glad you mentioned that because I do that to. My husband is freezing. But I have always said, they rest of the family can put on blankets if they are cold. I can't really do anything else.

I am definitely going to try and find out if it is hormones or something else. I am getting kind of depressed because I feel like I can't do anything. At least do anything and enjoy it. I want to get back to getting pictures in order but I know by getting out the pics and books and laying stuff out on the floor, etc, will cause me to get so hot, I will hate doing what I normally love.

If I get any insights, I will let you guys know and I hope you will do the same.

Thanks,

Lynda B.
  10. steffy

steffy New Member

Hi. Just want to add that I too have frequent (several times a day) episodes of sweating. Usually followed by chilling and feeling cold. These episodes for the most part are unrelated to the ambient (surrounding) temperature.

Physiological reactions take place when our body temperature is adjusting: that is, you chill when you are getting an elevated temperature, and sweat to bring your body temperature down. However, I have monitored my temperature with a thermometer during these episodes and have not noted any significant change in my body temperature.

From my doctor and from books, I've learned that the sweating most likely is due to Auntonomic Nervous System dysregulation (dysautonomia) which causes a lot of our symptoms, in fact. The sympathetic nervous system is the branch that causes sweating I believe. Also, medications--especially SSRIs and tricyclics--can cause abnormal sweating.

I don't have any remedies, I'm afraid. Would sure like one because these episodes are very uncomfortable!

steffy
  11. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I get really mad at my husband when he turns the AC up a degree. Then I think it is me getting hot. But my body is so sensative to the tempature that I can tell. Then when I look at the AC relator box and see he turned it up, I just want to knock him up side the head. He also has a habit of cleaning out the AC filter in the heat of the day. We have to turn the AC off while the filter dries out. Ugg!!!!!

I love my man but he just doesn't have the same body I do, thank goodness. He thinks it is actually normal to sweat when you sleep even if you have AC. If we were so broke to have to do this, I could understand, but I would give up alot of things to stay cool.

Lynda B.
  12. pooped

pooped New Member

and no, we are not the minority. I have heard so many people complain of this very same problem and it is not the menopause kind of sweating. Even the energy expended in showering will turn on my faulty heat regulator and I become drenched. Just casually walking through the house will turn me into a human sprinkler. I hate it! It is so uncomfortable and sickening. It just zaps you. And it is so unattractive. Everyone else in the room seems very comfortable and I am sweating profusely. Unfortunately, I don't know what to do either. I have had my HRT switched so many times that I am sure I have tried everyone there is and we have ruled out the normal hot flash. This is not normal! Gosh, if you do find a remedy, please share it with all of us. Sure wish I had a swimming pool. At least then I would have a reason for the wet look and it would be so refreshing to just sit there in the cool water!

Good luck!!

POOPED
  13. shazz

shazz New Member

Maybe it's time to face the fact it isn't menopause anymore but something else causing it?
    I keep telling them to up my estrogen and now I can't go any higher and still get hot flashes.
    There must be something out there that would help and if someone finds it I would love to know.

14. pepper

pepper New Member

One of the first symptoms I experienced when I first became ill over 10 yrs ago was profuse sweating. I live in the frozen north yet I am hot, hot, hot all the time. Summer weather is unbearable for me. I don't know how you people farther south can tolerate this all year long. I've broken the A/C twice by keeping it down too low. I can't wait for the winter, which, before I got sick, I really hated.

I thought CFS patients were all cold all the time. I am glad I am not alone!
    Pepper
  15. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I am glad I am not alone. Doctors are saying it is peri-menopause, but it is not hot flashes. It is an intolerance to heat!

I used to love to be in the sun, (the hotter, the better), but now, when it is 72, I am hot. I don't SWEAT alot, just uncomfortably warm.

But in the winter, I FREEZE so bad that I shake uncontrollably!

Doctors say it is not thyroid, but they will only test my TSH!!!!!!!
  16. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

I'm glad its not just me. I started getting these horrible sweats when my condition worsened... I also live in Arizona and it is as hot as Hades!!!
  17. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

It seems to me that this thread could apply to three different categories of heat problems: Responses to external heat, elevated body temperature (i.e., fever) and subjective feelings of being hot despite a normal environmental temperature. Sweating may or may not be present in any of these categories.

I seem to be affected by more than one category. Even while I was on HRT, I would get occasional hot flashes and night sweats. I never understood that until I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last summer and found this board. (Thanks to all who let me know I wasn't alone in this, by the way.) I now think my night sweats at least are related to dysregulation of my internal thermostat, probably caused by fibro, and not just hot flashes. Now that I've stopped HRT, though, the hot flashes seem to be coming back, especially at night.

Other heat problems have to do with an elevated body temperature (fever) and/or how your body responds to being overheated from the outside--like being stuck in a hot room on a hot day without ventilation or air conditioning. (For a lot of people, the amount of heat doesn't need to be nearly so great.)

I relate to that as well. I have multiple sclerosis in addition to fibro, and most people with MS have abnormal responses to heat (and sometimes to cold as well). Although I live in Southern California, I'm usually in air-conditioned buildings and therefore haven't had to contend with major problems from external heat for a long time. But I remember a summer when my son was small and we had an above-ground pool (just a small one, about 2 or 3 feet high) in the back yard. We were emptying the pool so that we could clean it and replace the water, and I tried to sop us the last standing water in the pool after we had drained most of it out. It was a very hot day, and I'd never before had major problems (other than normal discomfort) from the heat. So I was shocked when I tried to get out of the pool and discovered I couldn't stand up! My husband help had to help me climb out of the pool.

Also, although I seldom get a fever (my normal temperature is on the low side), when I had pneumonia and my temperature went up to 102, my tongue curled up in my mouth, and I felt as if I would swallow it if I didn't pay attention. It became very difficult to talk, because I couldn't move my tongue normally.

I'm posting this is to point out that strong reactions to heat could signify a lot of different things. I urge you to keep trying to track down the cause. I wish you well.

--Laura R.M.
  18. BabsFl

BabsFl New Member

I know what you mean about taking a shower a sweating! I can take a shower and before I even make it out of the bathroom I am sweating. It is so gross. So much for wearing make-up if I would stay in there and try to put any on it would just run off. My hubby asked why I don't wear it much any more and that is the reason. The wierd part is I maybe sweating but my feet freeze! The only thing the doc checked was my TSH which was.. 0.93 They say that is normal the paper says 0.40 to5.50 is normal range and this was a non fasting blood test. Any advice anyone??? Is this good or bad?? I go back next week for blood test again this was done in March next one will be fasting. Thanks in advance for any help....This sure is a crazy fibro world we live in....lol

Barb
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2003]
  19. teach6

teach6 New Member

I know mine is due to dysautonomia, which is also the cause of my Neurally Mediated Hypotension. My heat intolerance seems worse this year than last.

Today I turned on the AC because of the high humidity, coupled with rising temperatures. After my regular afternoon nap I was up on the computer for about 20 or 30 minutes when I felt like I really needed to go back and lie down again. I must have rested another half hour, at least.

Next I went downstairs and was getting ready to pay bills, but noticed a storm seemed to be coming, so I went to run two quick errands first. While I was in the store I began feeling nauseous. The only other time I felt like that was during my tilt table test, so I attributed it to standing up too long.

When I got home I was going to work on the computer again, but I started feeling lousy, so I went back to bed and lay down for about 45 minutes. I convinced myself that I must be coming down with something. When I finally got up I was feeling better and by then I felt I could eat, which had turned my stomach an hour earlier.

Now, after being inside in the AC for about five hours I am fianlly feeling more like "normal." This could turn out to be a very long summer for me!

Barbara
  20. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Those of us who have a heat intolerance sure don't like using hot blowdryers on our hair!

I found a great blowdryer for us hotheads. It's called the "IonAire" by Igia, and it dries your hair in the same amount of time as a regular dryer but WITH HALF THE HEAT. It's great. I couldn't stand a regular blowdryer anymore because my heat intolerance has gotten so bad. Can't style your hair when your scalp is sweating!

Added bonus: the first time in my LIFE my hair ever had any shine to it! I was shocked. This "negative and positive ion" stuff really works! LOL

I got mine at one of those wholesale club places (BJ's) but I'm sure you'd be able to find it elsewhere.

Every little bit helps....