Anyone have severe pain in neck/shoulders?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shan1078, Jan 17, 2006.

1. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I was diagnosed with FMS last month. The worst of my pain is in my lower neck and in my shoulders. But, pill, even Tyleonl 3 dosen't seem to touch this pain. It's so deep in my muscles, I going MAD with this pain. Anyone else have this problem?
  2. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Same pain in my neck/upper back and can be in my face, chest, shoulders, low back--those are the worst places for me. It actually started in my neck and with chronic headaches everyday in June 1995.

My headaches stopped once I was put on Prozac in 1996. Then Xanax was added in 1997, and the med, Arthrotec was added too, but I have to take that med with the two meds separate--Diclofenac and Cytotec--have to get 2 separate Rx's that make up the Arthrotec. Stupid, isn't it?

I thought I would lose my mind back then with the neck pain and upper back pain. Finally, I got Lortabs and that was basically just last May '05. I try to only take 1 or 2 a day, so I am still using that Rx. I surely hope the doc will give me a new Rx before I run out.

But I still can't do much that I don't go into a flare so I am left sedentary and unable to do much at all.

You aren't alone with this. Hope you will find something that will help you feel better.

Hugs,
    Faye
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

That area is what would always hurt me the worst when I was working. I sat at a desk and computer most of the day and I would be almost dead by the time I got home from work.

I would put ice packs, or bags of frozen peas, on my neck and between my shoulder blades when I got home to numb the pain. It felt sooo good on my neck and did help. I also took 600 mg Ibuprofen every 6 hrs during the day - that's all I had at the time.

When I began complaining to my doc about so much pain in the neck, he sent me for a CT scan of my cervical spine (neck). Normally, he would have requested an MRI, but I have a pacemaker and can't have MRI's done.

This is what I found out was wrong with my neck:

- degenerative disks, bulging disks, thecal sac effacement, bone spurs, paramedian disk herniation, moderate spinal canal stenosis, compression of exiting nerve root, severe cervical spondylosis, and facet arthropathy.

So, it all was not my imagination!!

If you have good insurance, you might ask your doc for an order to get a CT or MRI of your cervical spine and possibly more.

Good luck,
    Janet
  4. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

I started out with pain in my lower neck, and shoulders, and in the muscles of my upper back.. I was given Flexiril, a muscle relaxer, and it really helped.. I now take 2 tabs at bedtime... It is when I get still, that it hurts the most.....
  5. Esperanza25

Esperanza25 New Member

I believe that most of us that been diagnosed with FMS actually have the neck/shoulder/migrain/face numb and so on and so forth pain.

I was diagnosed in May 2005 and for the longest time I would take every kind of medication, heat, ice, chiropractor, massages, acupunture, excercise and on and on... and everything helped while it lasted once the massage or accupuncter was over it always came back. So, I don't spend too much time getting this done. But when I'm doing really bad I go to a chinese doctor that does massages and accupunture.

I stopped the medication and just live with the pain, sometimes is so bad that I can't even move and feel like just tearing my head and shoulders off.

My primary doctor referred to a pain management class that taught me to deal with the pain and live with it. That I needed to excercise and eat healthy. I have tried everything and though exercising has helped, I still get flare up. In the pain management class I was also told to pace myself and not to overdue myself when exercising, doing chores at home.

That is the only advise I can offer and maybe you would like to try. You don't say whether you have children or not, but it is very difficult when you have young children, my children are grown and out the house.

I hope this helps you and I'm sorry that you are going through such a difficult flare.

Esperanza
    [This Message was Edited on 01/17/2006]
  6. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

My pain is very bad too in that area. Have you ever tried those ThermaCare Heat Wraps. They are wonderful and not that expensive. They last a good eight hours. Otherwise a ice pack or heating pad always helps some. The other thing that has happend me is massage.

I hope you find some relief soon, It`s miserable I know.
    Sandy
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

shan1078:
    I have terrible pain in those areas. It is probably the worst pain I have. I live on a heating pad most of the day.
    I have someone come in and clean every two weeks and do not do a thing except pain management. I will not stress or strain for anybody. I have a massage once a month and although it helps it doesn't last a long time. Those are the things I do and along with meds makes it all bearable.
    I will not clean because I am not bending or getting on my hands and knees to scrub, ergo the cleaning lady. A life-saver and believe it or not: very affordable. Since it is just me here I do not dirty the place up.
    You feel better, you hear?
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  8. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

I suffer w/neck & traps pain also. Med sensitivity here, so that isn't an option for me. I use a tens unit when it's really bad, & it does help. Do Massage twice a month & chiro also. The relief never lasts for too long. But some to me, is better then nothing.

I have to pace myself, no heavy lifting, vacuuming, etc Thank God for hubby. Altho' he isn't in the best of health either..Polymyalgia & RA hit him.. Exercising is out of the picture, I am able to take very short walks, Maybe once or twice a week at a very slow pace.

The heat patches help when I'm trying to fold laundry, do any task that involves leaning over a counter, sink, etc. Can't take long car trips, have to pace going shopping, cleaning etc., as if I do them close together, I'm "down" for a week at least.

A lot for us to deal with, eh? As someone said, acceptence is the big thing, & then to cope as best you can. Horrible way to live, but that's the way it is. Prayer helps keep me calm.

Hope you find something that will help you soon. Hate the thought of spending what little of my life is left, living like this, but do try to keep a positive attitude..At times that works, & at times it gets me down.

Hang in there, & believe us, we understand...

Hugs & Blessings;
    Fifth
  9. ckzim

ckzim New Member

I learned early on, that Doc's will blame everything on the Fibro, without really seeing beyond that, and not check for other medical problems. Ask you Doctor for X-rays of your neck. To be sure there isn't anything else going on there. If the x-rays come back with problems, get an MRI, and referral to a Neo surgeon.
    This would especially be a good route to go, if you have had any type of injury in your neck from the past.

Deterating Disc Diease could be the problem too.
    Hope this helps.
    Gentle Hug
  10. betsboop

betsboop New Member

jlh..i have many problems with my neck, cervical area as well and the pain is excruciating...i cannot sleep, when i sit for too long it seems to compress the spine and the pain gets worse..i ice it but the pain comes back when the ice is taken away..i am on 10mg of oxycontin 2/day and topomax which is suppose to increase the effects of the pain med but with the neck pain does not seem to even touch the pain..it helps with the other body aches ..what have they suggested for you..
  11. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

mine goes into my face and jaw and scalp, and down my back to my tailbone. it is excruciating. in the past, cranial osteopathic manipulation and trigger point therapy have offered some relief/release. have you read Claire Davies Trigger Point Self-help manual? you can treat some of the trigger points by yourself and get some relief. Heat is good to loosen muscles, ice is good if you want to try to lessen inflamation. if i need to "pop" something that is out of alignment, ice helps to reduce inflammation first.

the thing that has offered me the most relief is glutathione iv's that i started last summer. i get them 3 x/week. they have helped all symptoms of cfs/fms, though i am still very very ill. any relief is great relief. blessings to you. jen102
  12. joanng

joanng New Member

I use Lidoderm patches on my neck and shoulder muscles. This numbs them. I take pain meds too but for this type of pain I can't live without the patches. Massage therapy is heavenly too. It really loosens up the muscles. I also do yoga when I'm up to it and it really makes a difference. I wish I had more good days, then bad so I could do it more often. Ice packs helps too. I have bulging disks. I find the when my necks and shoulders starts to burn and hurt, it's usually related to stress. Good luck!
  13. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i haven't used the neck ones yet, but i slept with one on my back last night, it was still warm when i got up and no back pain!

you might also think about a cervical support pillow. i think i'm about to splurge on one for myself.

eddie
  14. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I don't feel so alone with this anymore, sometimes, I feel like I must be crazy. It's comforting in a sick kinda way to know that I'm not the only one out there, THANKS
  15. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Nothing sick about being comforted at knowing you are not alone! (though it is awful to know how many of us suffer this).

I get it all -- neck/head/jaw/scalp spasms that trigger migraines, spasm in the interscapular area, etc. That is the worst part of this dd for me, by far! Had it for 15 years now -- finally coming to terms with the fact that it will wax and wane, but is probably mine for life (sigh...)
  16. vallsb

vallsb New Member

Yes I have this pain daily. I use muscle relaxer. This helps me the most....vall
  17. ellikers

ellikers New Member

My pain in that area is mostly in a giant knot under my shoulder blades- it just flares up randomly and will cause my whole arm to hurt- shooting pain, burning pain, itching pain under the skin all the way from the shoulder blade down to my fingers.

Very irritating. I tried taking prescription strength aleve- did nothing. Basically when it happens I lie down on heating bags (rice in a flannel cover that i made) that I microwave to get hot and take xanax.
  18. GBHope

GBHope New Member

and it is much worse when I'm worn out or flaring. I use my moist heat and deep heat rub. Sometimes I even use ice.

GBHope