Anyone Have Severe Sinusitis As their Main Symptom?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dreamharp, Nov 21, 2005.

1. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Severe Sinusitis is my number #1 problem,despite surgery,
    saline sprays/neti pot, herbs, salt water, etc. If my
    sinusitis was gone I would be very happy. It is not caused
    by an allergy but appears to be some kind of fibro/CFS
    imbalance in the body. Olive Leaf extract has helped
    the most. A "cure" would be nice.
  2. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I can only tell you my experiences with sinus.

3 years ago when this all started I had inner ear infections, vertigo, dizzy, off balance. Was sent for a cat scan which showed "Chronic Sinusitis". Was put in avolox, which helped.

Since then my head has been so sore, fuzzy vision and sinus never draining. Recently I was tested for "chlamydia pneumonia" (not the sexual kind) and tested very high.

Apparently when one has a respiratory infection like pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus infections it can have an abnormal way of leaving the body and can change forms and inhabit the cells of our body. Your cell cannot do the work it was meant to do. It has been parasitized. It can go through your blood cells, immune cells and brain cells. Antibiotic treatment is what is helping me.

I've been on doxcycline, biaxin and flagl for lymes and this combination is also good for the pneumonia infection. The biaxin is really clearing my head and my sinusitis are starting to drain.

Take Care

Cindy

[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2005]
  3. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

I had septoplasty in 1996 because I had a sinusitis that would not go away (due to some ignoramus at work who wore alot of cologne).

What's interesting is up until that surgery I never really had sinus infections. I had chronic bronchitus at least three times a year since I was twelve.

Now, I almost always get a sinus infection. I have bronchitus right now which is the first time in over five years.

I should say that when I had the surgery I also had allergy testing and was told I should go for the desensitization immunizations, but I chose not to at the time.

I'm not sure if it is related at all, but it seems that there are alot people on this board who have issues with their immune systems.

-Kathi
  4. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Yes!!! It's probably my #2 problem after fatigue. But does the sinusitis cause some of the fatigue, probably. I've always had chronic seasonal sinusitis, but now that I have CFS it's horrid and always there. I'm going to the allergist on Friday, but they didn't help last fall when I went through months of problems (I thought I just had sinus problems, not CFS then).

I know chronic Sinusitis is part of CFS. It's a non-allergic reaction sinusitis. But part of mine is allergy related. Ugh!!!

I can sympathize with everyone! I've been putting heat packs on my sinuses constantly!
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

had very little sinus problem, they sent TB patients here to the TB hospital in fact because it WAS so clean and dry. Over the years people moved here and brought many of their native plants and trees from their previous states. Then they added the
    golf courses and man made lakes as well as all the traffic (made worse when the winter comes as we fill up with the Snow Birds). Now people who never had a bit of sinus problem GET them here.

I've had Asthma since birth. My sinuses are always bed here during the times of the year when things start blooming. I don't know anyone here that doesn't have sinus issues now...at least if they've lived here for any period of time. We have one of the highest Asthma death rates of any state in fact. ASU has done a study on sinus problems and Asthma in children and when they clear up that problem the kids seem to lose their Asthma.

I haven't had to take antibiotics for my Asthma or sinuses OR Predinsone for several years now but for a long time I took them every winter. I've tried everything and nothing ever helps except Benedryl controlling the symptoms. I'm allergic to the Bextra and other antibiotics as they have Sulfa in them, so when I do need one I'm stuck with the older class of antibiotics. They DO still work well for me thankfully.
  6. blast

blast New Member

At least I would have to say at the very top of the list.
    Pain, fatigue, then sinus problems. I do have severe allergies, and use meds for this, however, I still have a sinus headache daily, and some days I can't even function they are so bad, if I take sudafed, it does help, but I don't like taking it a lot, it kinda keeps me tense.
    I wonder if I should ask my doctor to have me have a cat scan and see if there is anything going on. I wonder if this stuff is genetic cuz my father had severe sinus problems as well as my brother, sister, and mother, my kids now also have it.

Yuck, hope they don't develop FMS, that will just about put me over the edge.
    Blast
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

yes! I have chronic sinusitis. I haven't brought it up with the doctor yet, except when I need a round of Zythromax to kill it for awhile, when it flares into an infection.

I'm hoping that after I move and stop driving over the Cajon Pass twice a day I will feel better. I think the daily altitude changes (3800 feet to 4200 feet to almost sea level, and back again) are a real source of irritation for my sinuses. Getting away from tumbleweeds will help too. They are a vicious allergen. Makes my eyes itch to think about them!

I think that fibro is an immune system mediated illness, and some of us manifest with the sinus problems. I'm one, I know. I'm fighting it right now, with the dry air we've had and the dust being kicked up by all the packing I've been doing.

I wish I had an answer for this for all of us. I've tried the zinc nasal spray stuff, and it seems to head off cold type symptoms, but it burns and irritates the inside of my nose. Not sure that is a good thing. Nasal steroid sprays help a little, but I don't like those either. I'm a difficult patient!

How has Olive Leaf Extract helped? Do you take it orally? can it be put into the nose or inhaled into the sinuses?

Peace,
    Beth.
  8. kch64

kch64 New Member

I used to have terrible sinus problems. it felt as if someone had burned me inside my sinuses. this was after taking antibiotics.

this is what helped me:
    first-Prayer
    second- don't take antihistamines, they dry out your nasal passages and the mucous can't flow out.
    third- do take decongestants (sudafed) if you can, they help, and a good B-complex vitamin and vitamin c.
    fourth-allergy shots help
    fifth-get a grossan nasal irrigator(online) and a waterpik. I think Dr. Grossan sells a whole system now. Follow the instructions and do it faithfully. It Helps. If the salt solution isn't enough, add a small amount of distilled vinegar (not with baking soda just with regular salt). It helps cut the mucous. Georgetown University Dr. Recommended it.
    six-avoid sugar if you can. Studies show that overgrowth of fungi/yeast in the body can cause sinus inflammation. This is medically documented.
    I'll keep you in my prayers. Sinuses can make your life misery.
    Also, I read of a guy who would mix a bit of hydrogen peroxide in water and hold his head upside down, fill his nostrils with the solution, and wait for as long as he could before letting it run out. It cured him of sinus disease. I've never done it, but it won't hurt you to try.

I just thought of something else- Dr. Weil recommends herbal remedy "Stinging Nettles" for allergies. It is completely safe. Just thought I'd add it. I know how sick sinuses can make you feel. My heart goes out to you.

[This Message was Edited on 11/22/2005]
  9. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I have had chronic sinusitis for years before FM/CFIDS came into my life. I must after the FM the sinus problems did escalate. I have allergic fungal sinusitis AFS and have had multiple surgeries to clean and reconstruct. I have tons of drainage. So much it makes me sick, nauseated. I irrigate regularly, take allegra for allergies, and decongestants when a flare. I was on antibiotics and steroids long term till they figured the antibiotics just fed mine, due to it being fungal. It is a daily problem with me, just as the FM is. I have lots of facial pain, and ear pain, especially when a front is coming in.
  10. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I just came back from the urgent care for sinus infection. I think it's been chronic but for the last 2 months the headaches are really bad and for a week I thought my nose was going to explode from the pressure.

He's put me on antibotics and a nose spray. I've tried the salt water sniffed up through the nose routine that Dr. Weil recommended and lots of moist hot compresses. This is a nightmare. He told me if I get these more than 3 times a year I should talk to an ENT doc.

I mentioned the FM to the doc. and he said it was also associated with the sinus troubles.

IS THERE ANYTHING THAT ISN'T AFFECTED BY FM? Bummer....
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

most aggravating and reaccurring~

I no sooner BEGIN to feel a lil relief and it starts all over again. I have sinus troubles more than I don't have sinus troubles.
    I wonder too if many of you who are suffering with this ,... Wake up every freakin day totally stuffed up!??

untill i'm up and walking around and things start to drain downwards,..I'm sooooooooooo stuffed I can barely get air in my nose! its everyday~
    sometimes with headaches too.

Sinus troubles are one of my top complaints~
  12. kfinn2

kfinn2 New Member

I have always had really bad allergies and sinus problems, including sinus headaches. The only thing that seemed to help was the Sudafed 12 hour, but combined with my anxiety I would be so "juiced" up I could hardly stand it.

I recently started Neurontin after a brain scan revealed that it might help my anxiety and I have not had an allergy flare or a sinus headache since.

I don't know how the two could possibly be related, but it's been at least 2 months since I've had any sinus related symptoms and this is usually the worst time of year for me.

Just thought I'd share.
  13. jolie88

jolie88 New Member

My husband had severe sinusitis and always used Tylenol to clear up the sinus headaches and he relied on the terrible nasal spray before he went to bed every night (otherwise he would be up due to being all plugged up). His plan was to have an operation this year so he does not have to deal with this sinus problems anymore; it's been going on for over 20 years.
    That was history!!!
    Before seeking help from the doctor with the surgical procedure (there's no guarantee that this is the solution for the problem; many people still end up with the same problem after the surgery)my husband finally try the antioxidant which i bought for him. And that was the beginning of this year! He does not need the surgery anymore but only make sure he takes the antioxidant daily (he no longer needs the nasal spray and Tylenol). I'm really ecstatic because I never want him to rely on drugs. This antioxidant is formulated with curcumin, grape seed extract, brocolli extract and ginkgo biloba extract.
  14. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

It so weird that you posted this now. I was just told that I have a deviated septum and should have surgery for the sinusitis. the scan, however, revealed that i do not have chronic sinusitis but yet have chronic infections.

I think I read somewhere that fibro could cause this. I was dx with fibro 10 years ago at 24 and this new problem started a year and a half ago, when I moved to northern virginia.

I don't plan on having the surgery though, i have heard too many horror stories.
  15. tandy

tandy New Member

for others with sinus problems.
    I know there are alot of us~
  16. NIELK

NIELK Member

dreamharp
    I have almost identical problem as you. chronic sinusitis & nothing helps. i just had surgery a few months ago & no improvement. no medicine or spray helps.
    What is the connection with cfs & this problem?
  17. ontariogirl

ontariogirl New Member

The problem started out slowly with me and escalated to almost having infections constantly, worsened by the fact that I only have sinus cavities on one side of my face.

My Dr kept giving me a sulpha based antibiotic which would clear it up for a while and as time went on the period inbetween healing would get shorter.

I talked him into giving me 3 months straight of the antibiotic and since then, whether by the grace of god or the medication, I've never had another sinus problem (knocking on wood here)

That was 6 years ago and cfids came to stay 5 years ago starting with a huge crash (they thought I was having a stroke) and since then I haven't had as much as the sniffles.

Wishing you all relief from this misery--
    Marlene
  18. kch64

kch64 New Member

Dear Dreamharp,
    I just thought of some more help for sinuses. I tried acupuncture this year when I was having horrible frontal sinus headaches. It worked great.

I also read and article several years ago. A woman was having a terrible time and her natural medicine physician told her to buy some sesame oil and place three drops in each nostril. It cured her.

Just trying to help. I empathize with you completely. It's really bad when they are a chronic problem.
  19. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Your sinus tips are great. Thank you for being so thoughtful,
    I really appreciate it!
  20. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I just talked to my husband, the allergist isn't helping so we were seriously thinking about going the accupuncturist route. It's good to know it helped someone before I lay out the money. Anyone else have experience or other tips?