Anyone have Sleep Apnea? Just found out..Need help.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ladykew, Oct 20, 2006.

1. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Just had a sleep study and found out I have sleep apnea. I need to qualify for the CPAP machine, but you have to wake up 30 times each hour, and I woke up 27 times each hour. I only slept 3 hours. They told me I might have to go in for another study.

Is there anything I could do to help me get qualified? I really need this machine. I have FMS/CFIDS and have severe and frequent flares that keep me in bed for long periods of time. I have problems breathing even when I am awake, but with the CPAP I could breathe effortlessly.

If you have any experience in this, and can give me some suggesions on how I could get qualified, I would really appreciate it.

I appreciate you all from the bottom of my heart.

~~~~LadyLew

[This Message was Edited on 10/21/2006]
  2. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Bumping for LadyLew
  3. monamea

monamea New Member

Good morning Ladylew!

I'm sorry to hear that as usual we have to fight to get stuff we need. I've never heard of having to stop breathing so many times. I have sleep apnea and narcolepsy so I know how important having a c-pap machine is. Have you talked to your doctor about it? What about your insurance company? Sometimes some clinics have a used one that they loan out when a patient can't afford one or the insurance is giving them problems. Do you have heart problems or copd, if so tell them. Don't give up on this fight for it. Sometimes they need to know that you really want it bad. Keep trying. Monamea
  4. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

I have a cpap machine and when I did the test I took 2-25 mg benadryl and still did not sleep that night. I must of dozed off a little because she stated I qualified. I have never heard you had to wake up 30 times? though hmm.
  5. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Thank you all for responding to my recent post on Sleep Apnea and my sleep study on needing a CPAP machine.

Monamea, Thank ou for your very good advice. My doctor and the doctor who will make the final decision will be talking next week. Yes, I do have heart problems with the bicuspid and the mitral valves not closing properly. I also have a low-grade chronic bronchitis. I will FIGHT for this. Thank you, Monamea. God bless you.

Blueski, I'm gad you got your CPAP. I hope it is helping you. Thank you for responding to my post. You made me feel really good by taking the interest to respond. God bless you.

Wendy oz, My! Your DH had a very serious problem. So glad he has the CPAP. Yes, they must be invaluable to us with our oxygen depletion problems. I'm happy to hear that he's healthy pink now and "jumping out of his jocks" Hope you get yours soon. Thanks for your reply. God bless the both of you.

~~~LadyLew
  6. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Not helpful here but I am going for testing in November for it, can you tell me what they do for this kind of testing, is this going to be an all nighter thing?

Love to all, Ann
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I too have sleep apnea and use a cpap machine. Lady I would think that especially when the powers that be examine your medical history they should see that you must have a cpap machine.

I am claustrophobic and it was a struggle to get used to the machine. I tried many masks. Some are more restrictive and cover more of the facial area.

Sassy, have you tried going to a the respiratory healthcare office and trying different masks. The one I go to actually has a cpap machine they will set to your level, you can try on masks and lie down (thats important because the fit is different if you are not in a prone position.

8. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

Yea I have one but cannot tolerate it. I feel like I am smothering. The resp therapist say I need a full mask. Right now it just fits in my nose. The mask costs upwards of 100 dollars so I will be waiting a bit.
  9. monamea

monamea New Member

For those who need new masks or headgear. At the sleep clinic I go to they have used ones which have been cleaned and santized that if you ask them they will give you one. Sometimes you just have to ask and tell them how you can't afford one right now, they do help you one way or another. I hope this helps some of you.
  10. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I have sleep apnea as well. I had to pay for it out of my own pocket and was lucky to get back 80% from the insurance
    company.

Sorry you are having trouble getting a machine.

They are sooooo worth it.

Thanks

bruinz
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2006]
  11. azbubba

azbubba New Member

I also have obstructive sleep apnea, and thought I would mention some of the things I've learned.

Ladykew, what they told you is partially correct. If they are looking at only events per hour (hypoxneas, etc.) then 30 is the right number for determination, because less than that doesn't indicate anything needing treatment. However, they also request that you fill out a questionnaire asking about daytime drowsiness, hypertension (high blood pressure), insomnia, and other conditions. If you have more than 5 events per hour and any of these other conditions, then a CPAP might be useful to you. If they don't take the trouble to ask those questions, they're not doing their job.

You also say you have problems breathing when you are awake. Have you gotten an explanation for that? I am concerned that sleep apnea isn't the problem.

Wamps, I'm not sure about Australia, but in the US and Canada they do require a prescription. Yes, a prescription for what one of my friends called a "glorified leaf-blower." I can't believe it, either.

Aeronsmom, this is an all-nighter. To do a sleep study, they will ask you to come in about 2 hours before your normal bedtime, wire you up with a lot of stuff, and then ask you to sleep. Ask your PCP, but you may want to take a sleep aid (Ambien, etc.) to sleep enough for them to get the results.

When I went for my first sleep study, I stopped breathing over 58 times an hour, and my pulse ox (amount of oxygen saturation in your blood) dropped to 74%...with normal being 95%, and doctors get nervous when it drops to 90%.

Hope this helps.
    Bubba