Anyone Have Spa/Hot Tub, Does It Help Pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LuvMeCritters, Nov 20, 2002.

1. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

I was thinking a hot tub would be good therapy for the aching muscles I have, and the DDD pain both hubby and I suffer from. I don't want to spend the money if they don't help, but it sure seems like hot jets of water massaging muscles would feel great. I've never been in one, so I'm just imagining what it would feel like. Anyone have good experiences with them?

Regina
  2. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

I was thinking a hot tub would be good therapy for the aching muscles I have, and the DDD pain both hubby and I suffer from. I don't want to spend the money if they don't help, but it sure seems like hot jets of water massaging muscles would feel great. I've never been in one, so I'm just imagining what it would feel like. Anyone have good experiences with them?

Regina
  3. JP

JP New Member

Hi Regina,

I love my hot tub. It is especially good in the cold weather. It helps me to relax and can reduce pain as well. It is also a great place to have those serious talks with your significant other. No one ever gets mad in a hot tub (LOL).

jan
  4. selmad

selmad New Member

Haven't used our hot tub for years--the nasty chemicals are offensive to me...... don't recommend it--good hot baths with epsom or dead sea salts---- and jets--but the bathtub variety.
  5. kay

kay New Member

have one but I would love to gey one in the future. They do have hot tubs that dont use the bad chemicals. I got a video awhile back that I sent away for on hot tubs. This rymetoligist (SP) says there are great for us!!! Saw it on a talk show. Some doctors will give you perscriptions for them!! Ask you doctor about it! Linda Oh by the way I love all your animals!!!
  6. tedebear

tedebear New Member

How do you get a script for one? Does the insurance pay for it? Do you turn the script into the insurance?
    Please explain if you can.
    Thank-you. Very soft hugs.
  7. granmama

granmama New Member

You may ask your physician for a script for a therapeutic tub/spa with a dx on it. This will enable you to pay NO TAXES on the product at purchase.

The same goes for those adjustable beds.

As far as insurance coverage, I haven't heard of any so far that would absorb the cost of one, but who knows?

My husband & I just last weekend looked at some spas and whirlpools, we were told the company would accept a script for one and this would eliminate the local tax.

I wish I had one!!! I have used them in the past in hotel rooms and they really help.

good luck,
    granmama
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

and I love it! There are chemicals you can use that are fine for chemically sensitive people. I am very sensitive to chemicals but I do okay with the bromine instead of the chlorine.

We got a tub with lots of strong jets. If you decide to get one, it is worth the extra money for a really good one. Strong jets for the feet are what I find more relaxing than any of the others.

Some extended health plans cover the cost of hot tubs - ours didn't. However, my doctor wrote "prescribed for muscle pain, fibromyalgia" on the invoice. We can use it as an income tax deduction.

As someone else mentioned, I find it the best in the cooler weather. It is snowing here today and the hot tub feels great.

I did not want a hot tub. I thought I would never use it. But my husband really wanted one and I gave in. I use it far more than he does and find it great for sore muscles and for relaxing before bed.

I highly recommend it. Pepper
  9. toots2

toots2 New Member

I love my hot tub but you only get temporary relief just as you would from relaxing in a hot tub of water. I cannot handle the jets. They make me hurt. Toots
  10. kay

kay New Member

I hope I spelt your name right. The tape I got on the spa is so excellant and they will make it any way YOU wan it and Jets any way that you want them and as many as you want. I will look for my tape. I have no idea where I put it and I just got home and it is late. There is a toll free number on it and they will send you a free tape. This is a very well made one. The tape it's self is dumb the way they act it out but you wll get the point for the spa at least!! My address is under my bio! Linda
  11. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

I didn't know anything about the chemicals. But it's nice to know there are some that are ok for us to use.

OMG, hot jets on my feet...that would be heaven! :)

We have a place in town that sells Cal Spas. They seem to be made very well, and you can configure you're own jets, seating, etc.

I know I would love it...hubby too.

Thanks again for all the info...

Regina
  12. jsessler

jsessler New Member

When we had our hot tub installed in our yard, the guy that came out told us that he recommends all owners (regardless of brand) use 10 oz of hydrogen peroxide 2x per week (we do Wed. and Sun.) and 3 tbls. of a product called "Five in One" which has a little chlorine and other water conditioners in it. That's it.

We have a huge jacuzzi and there is no chemical or chlorine smell (btw, smelling chlorine means there isn't enough chlorine in your spa). It's very nice on the skin and the guy said that people who use this routine have very few, if any, problems with their tubs long term, and it's easier on the equipment, too. We empty and scrub our tub out every 3 months or so, and it stays pristine clean. An added bonus--it doesn't bleach out our suits or kill the latex in them (when we wear suits). Another bonus--very cheap to maintain.

Five in One is available at most Home Depots. You can usually find Hydrogen Peroxide on sale at most drug stores or grocery stores. We stock up on the largest bottles we can find.
  13. BethM

BethM New Member

For me, our spa is very therapeutic and wonderful. We use bromine in a floater, and it doesn't bother me at all. When I soak before bed, I sleep very soundly. I would definitely recommend a hot tub of some sort.

Peace,
    Beth.
  14. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I have a whirlpool bath that helps me unwind at night tremenously. I throw in some epsom salt which is also supossed to help, but I don't think you can do that in a regular hot tub. We used to have a hot tub and I found it very difficult to maintain and very expensive to keep it warm in the winter. I really like the whirlpool tub better.

Take care,

Maria
  15. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

Hello,
    Can someone please tell me what a tub spa is? Is it something you use with your regular tub?If so where do you purchase one at?

Thanks all

Shelle
  16. luv2nap

luv2nap New Member

We own a hot tub. I find that a hot tub, bathtub, or hot shower all only reduce the pain temporarily. Once you get out and are cold again the pain returns within 30-60 minutes. I prefer to just get into the bathtub and soak. It is cheaper. Also, it is much less expensive. A hot tub will run $30-$60 a month to maintain depending upon where you live.
  17. teach6

teach6 New Member

When I was choosing options for my home I had no idea I had FM or CFS. If I had I would have paid the extra for jets in my tub. I already have a Jacuzzi tub, but no jets.

Last night on a whim I went to the Home Depot website and found that they actually sell jets there. Does anyone know if it's possible to install the jets into an existing tub? Or is it to difficult/expensive to be worthwhile?

If anyone knows I would appreciate the info.

Thanks,
    Barbara
  18. epicurean

epicurean New Member

How hot do you have to have the water at to make a difference?
    Can't tolerate it too hot, not good for my B/P!!
    TY.
  19. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

On my anniversary my hubby gets us a hotel room with a jacuzzi I stay in it for and hour get out and get right back in. If I only had one at home I would probably sleep in it lol. It takes the pain away for a while and relaxes every muscle in me and I just love it. We have decided the next place we move is going to have a jacuzzi/bathtub till then I rely on my new massaging shower head that I just got on Friday and its awesome ( but no where near the great feeling of a jacuzzi)

hugs,
    Jeanna