anyone have success baking with Stevia??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Sep 19, 2003.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

I tried one little chocolate cake, a scratch recipe from Prevention Magazine, but it turned out AWFUL!! Any help here? How do you substitute the Stevia for the sugar, and what about the browning that sugar does in a recipe? Is there a need to change the amount of liquid used? I'd appreciate any help from this knowlegable group!

Thank you,
    Beth.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2003]
  2. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

Right now I'm on a strictly no-carb diet but I've downloaded lots of low-carb recipes from the internet that call for Stevia. I don't think they would be posted if they didn't work. However, they call for so much of it that I doubt I'll be baking with it - it's too expensive!

I will say that several recipes call for the addition of a product called not/Sugar, by Expert Foods, along with the Stevia. I researched it and it is not a sweetener, it is meant to add the bulk and texture of real sugar which is not provided by the sugar alternatives. It is also expensive but only a couple tablespoons are used at a time, as opposed to up to a cup of Stevia.

JoAnn
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

their own brand of Stevia. has lactose in it,not sure how that affects the carb count, although I believe lactose is on the good end of the glycemic list. I bought a container of it. Pretty good taste, dissolves better than the Stevia in the green box. Less expensive, too, although I'm not sure I'd want to use up a whole cup of it at once! Maybe baking with Splenda is a better idea? I've been on the South Beach diet, so I need to avoid sugar too.

Beth.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2003]

[ advertisement ]