Anyone have this type of reaction to flu shot?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TracyV, Oct 19, 2002.

1. TracyV

TracyV New Member

I got a flu shot Thursday. Friday morning I work up and had a red spot about 3 inches around it had a knot in it and had a fever in it also. I called the doctor back and went in to get it looked at and she said it was just my immune system was really working good and I was fine and shouldn't get the flu this year. All through the day it got very sore. I woke up today it's still got a fever there and has doubled in size, it's still very sore. I've never had this type of reaction before, has anyone else here?
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  2. TracyV

TracyV New Member

I got a flu shot Thursday. Friday morning I work up and had a red spot about 3 inches around it had a knot in it and had a fever in it also. I called the doctor back and went in to get it looked at and she said it was just my immune system was really working good and I was fine and shouldn't get the flu this year. All through the day it got very sore. I woke up today it's still got a fever there and has doubled in size, it's still very sore. I've never had this type of reaction before, has anyone else here?
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I dont know about flu shots but I've seen it with some of my kids' vaccines and it went away without a problem in a few days.
  4. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I have gotton a flu shot every year for the 4 yrs. Last year there was a big knot and it was all puffed out like yours. I called and asked and they said sometimes the person giving the shot doesnt hit where its suspose to be and thats why. I dont know how true that is but I'm gonna get one this year again and we'll see what happens. It scared me cause like yours it stuck out like a growth or something.
    Carlacat
  5. hilfgirl33

hilfgirl33 New Member

I got mine Tues and Wed I had a big red lump on my arm that lasted til Fri and was very sore. COmpletely gone now. Must be common.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And this is why I do not get the shots. Our immune systems are out of balance. We underreact to some things and overreact to others. It appears I overreact to flu vaccines. Therefore, I do not get them. No sense in aggravating an already messed up immune system. I rely on my zapper to kill any and all viruses withing 24-48 hours.

Love, Mikie
  7. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Mikie,
    Whats your zapper?
  8. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I did get a big bump and it was sore for a couple days but it went away, no other reactions from it. But I did not get the flu like everyone else did around me. My husband and son both got the flu and was really sick so I'll get a flu shot anyday so I dont get sick like they did. It was well worth it....
    Carlacat
  9. kay

kay New Member

GET THE FLU SHOT. THE FIRST ONE I HAD WAS WHEN I WORKED THE PIPELINE IN ALASKA AND I WENT OUT ON MY 2 WEEK R.& R. AND WAS SICK FOR THE WHOLE 2 WEEKS. WORST FLU? THAT I HAVE EVER HAD

THEN I HAVE HAD CFS EVER SINCE. I HAVE HAD FIBRO BUT NOW I HAVE BOTH. I WILL NEVER GET ANOTHER FLU SHOT. LOL LINDA
  10. mistyb

mistyb New Member

that was the last flu shot I ever got. I hadn't been diagnosed yet, but my arm had the biggest red knot that was hot on fire. My doc said he thought I may have had an allergic reaction to the sulfa in it. I have a lot of food sensativities. Never had a problem with eggs though. I think it went away in a few days, but boy was it sore.

good luck
    misty