Anyone Have Tips for Keeping a CFS Symptom Journal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerriM, Apr 9, 2003.

1. TerriM

TerriM New Member

Hi, I know I should be keeping a journal of all of my specific symptoms . . . for me to spot trends, for my doctor and for my attorney for disability. I was having bad blood sugar issues a few months ago and was keeping blood sugar readings and what I was eating, etc. I would love to hear from people who do this for ideas on what I should include & how detailed it should be . . . really anything would be great . . . Thanks! Love, Terri
  2. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I have a journal called the "Memory Minder" that I bought online thru Barnes & Noble. I'm on my 2nd one and bought one for my partner, who is diabetic and is disabled by migraines. It keeps track of your sleep history, meds, activities, diet ... lots of info! I think it was about $12.95 + shipping.

Jan ^v^
  3. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Hi Terrim
    I have CFS/FM and had the same dilemma...finding a good journal. For a few years I keep hand written journal but found it harder and harder to write due to hand stiffness, plus it was so hard to go back and find things I needed to know in a hurry so I created my own electronic journal in Excel which is very detailed and great because I don't have to depend on my memory to remember what I need to keep track of on those brain fog days. I have more than 200 columns to include everything I can think of to track including meds, sleeping patterns, pain level and type, depression and anxiety levels, exercises done, therapy treatments, all my 40 symptoms, food or other triggers like humidity levels, problems with daily living, etc. - I can add a column whenever I think of something new to track. Symptom columns are in a question form with multiple choice answers like mild, mod. or severe, so all I have to do is answer with a number such as 1, 2, or 3. I also have areas for comments on various things like side effects of new meds or notes on therapy sessions, etc.

I try to fill it out every day and then every few months I can summarize columns to see if any changes need to be discussed with doctor. It came in real handy while filing out SSD paperwork.

If you know just a little about Excel you can make your own or let me know and I can send you a sample which you can add your own things to track. I also keep a journal in Word for my personal feelings which is very therapeutic for me which I try to do at least once a week depending on how I'm feeling...typing can be hard to do some days but I know how important it is so my Excel log is the one thing I make a big effort to do every day (besides checking this message board).

Hope that helps.
    Blessings to all,
    Shaky