Anyone have to have shoulder surgeries or knee surgeries

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bobbycat, Apr 27, 2007.

1. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I have had two shoulder surgeries and one knee surgerie. I was just wondering if any one has had any problems with that. I don't know if it is related to my FMS or if it is "just bad luck" like my doctors say. Your imput would be greatly appreciated.
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I have had 3 knee surgeries and also need 2 total knee replacements. It has all been related to arthritis. I had knee surgery on 1 knee when I was 50. Then last year, at age 55, I had knee surgery on each of my knees again. I'm not sure when I am going to have my knee replacement surgeries--I'm wanting to lose weight first to make the rehab easier on me.

No shoulder surgery yet!
  3. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

Boy, that sound tough. I feel for you as I still haven't fully recovered from mine (it was in Nov.) I hope the next time around is better for you. It makes you realize how important those good old knees are. Please take care and thank you for the imput.
  4. FlowerMD

FlowerMD New Member

NO shoulder surgeries as yet, just cortisone injections. But, I have had many knee surgeries. torn meniscus in both knees, left knee had to have 2 laparoscopic surgeries with no help with the pain, so I had to have a partial knee replacement, yes that helped a lot until my right knee went out again I guess, it is because I have to put so much work on it because my right knee is so painful and it gives out or locks up on me. Testing shows lots of problems with my knee and need surgery but when I went for pre op exams lol I had pneumonia and I just can't seem to get over it, it really kicked me so keep me posted on you and I will be as supportive as I can.

Good Luck sweetie

In Friendship
    FlowerMD

5. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

You have to wonder if it can ber related to FMS. I just don't know why mine happen. Thanks for the feed back.
  6. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I have rotator cuff problems from a couple of falls. I'm deciding now whether or not to have surgery.

Did your shoulder surgery help with your shoulder and arm pain?

Thanks

Jeanette
  7. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

I have had 1 knee surgery, and now doc says replacement would be next step :(
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have had 3 knee surgeries and one for carpal tunnel. I do think it is caused by the FM. My chiroprator says are muscles tighten up so much its a real strain on the joints, ligaments and bones.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2007]
  9. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

Yes it did help. They made me go through therapy first and accuputure by the time I had my surgery I was in so much pain I literally thought I was going to die so surgery was the only option. It took awhile to recover and I had to have therapy after the surgeries to get the motion back but my recover went well. When I stretch my arms over my head I experience some pain but it is not bad. Well worth the surgeries, of course I really had no choice. I find all of this very interesting though. I alway was suspect that do to are FMS we have some muscle and joint break down. I don't believe that mind just "happpen" due to "bad luck".
  10. KimmiKat

KimmiKat New Member

if it is caused or helped along by FMS. I am waiting for two knee replacements, hopefully at the back of the year. Not looking forward to the ops, but worth it to get my mobility back, and ease the pain.

KimmiKat
  11. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for replying to my question, I appreciate it.

I didn't think to add that my left shoulder was injured more severly in the falls, but the right one hurts too. I only had an MRI on the left one so far. Since they can only do one surgery at a time it seems pointless to get the other MRI yet.

How long did you have FMS before the shoulder surgeries? Did you have an occupation or do a lot of lifting or overhead activity that could have contributed to the deterioration of the rotator cuff?

I wonder if prior to my falls if my former occupation could have caused some deterioration. I've often had problems sleeping on my side over the years. I've worked with young children from 3 months to 5 years for the last 18 years until a fall caused an injury 10/04 so I did a lot of lifting. s director at the last preschool I was at, I use to set up a heavy gymnastic climbing set several times a week which involved a lot of overhead lifting to attack the heavy wood ladder.

I had balance problems and dizziness from a head injury that caused the other falls and shoulder injury. The most recent was 9/06. I'm almost 47.

The pain isn't as bad as it was a month ago because I stopped doing the PT exercises which only aggravated everything. Anytime I do anything like cutting veggies, opening heavy doors, driving, it flares it up. It always hurts at night.

I wonder how much of the pain comes from FMS and how much from the rotator cuff partial tears, impingement, tendonitis, and osteoarthritis. The surgeon thinks he will be able to do it all arthroscopically. I can only hope that once everything gets cleaned up in there, the pain gets better or goes away.

My aunt and mom tell me to learn to live with it and think it away and it will go away, yet she has complained about hers for 20 years. Does that ever really happen or by not doing anything will I continue to have chronic pain there?

The bummer is I was almost done healing from a cervical decompression and fusion at C5/6 surgery that I had 6/06 when the fall in Sep. happened and all the neck and arm pain came back.

It's a hard decision, but I'm leaning towards it since the neck surgery was successful before this happened.

Jeanette
  12. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I had the surgery and it made a big difference. The pain became unbearable. I had no choice but to have the surgery. The first shoulder I also had a tear and then it became frozen so I barely could move it. It could of started from my former occupation. Then the second one I did not have a tear but it too became frozen and the pain became unbearable. Although they could be from former occupation, I wonder if there is a breaking down in our system that eventually weakens that makes it finally get to this point. Why did this not happen early to me. Then my knee. I still think that are system weakens somehow there just seems to be too many things breaking down all of a sudden. My shoulders may have had some help from occupation or other things but, I do think or immune system weakens our body. I am waiting for my other knee to go now and no I am not being negative I am being realistic I can almost tell there is something going on.
  13. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

Hi,There

i also had surgery on my shoulder in nov-06 i had a real

bad fall,but before that i was allready feeling that my arm

was hurting and especially at night ,i guess i was sleeping

on it and not knowing until i would wake up and boy my arm

would hurt ,but like i said when i fell that did it could

not stand the pain and the dr took a {mri}it showed my

rotor cuff was torn ,,,took 8wks of therpy and lots

of Advil!!! but doing better,,TTG.

AND I ALSO HAVE REAL BAD FIBRO,,

so take care,,gmom,,
  14. hawkspirit

hawkspirit Member

I had arthroscopic knee surgery in 1996 to repair torn cartilage. I had wrenched my right knee when I was 12 and it bothered me for many years afterwards until I finally said "enough."

First I tried 2 cortisone injections 11 months apart; the first one helped a lot but wore off, and the second one gave limited relief for about 3 months. Surgery was my only other option.

I insisted on an epidural, which I believe made a big difference in my recovery. General anesthesia is too toxic for me, putting my in the hospital for several days while it clears out of my system.

In the weeks following the surgery I went to physical therapy, and they were really good about respecting my limits as a PWC and not pushing me too hard. (At the time I hadn't yet been diagnosed with fibromyalgia.) So all in all I think I was pretty lucky.

A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with a rotator cuff injury in my left shoulder (I thought only baseball players got rotator cuff injuries, lol). I got a cortisone shot for that (which caused a vaso-vagal reaction, my first ever, how embarrassing), which gave partial relief. They also gave me some exercises to do to keep it as limber as possible.

Surgery for that is an option for me if I want it, but a neighbor of mine had shoulder surgery recently and it was a nightmare for her in terms of how incapacitated she was. Every basic thing, from bathing to dressing to cooking and cleaning were not possible to do one-armed. So I don't think I'll be rushing into that, at least not until the pain gets absolutely intolerable. Not having use of a leg is a lot easier to tolerate during convalescence than an entire arm.

Sorry for the long post; I hope some of it was helpful to you. Best of luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/29/2007]