Anyone have to use a CPAP machine at night?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teller7, Apr 1, 2010.

1. teller7

teller7 New Member

My internist sent me for a sleep study. Had to have a second one because the dr didn't know what was going on. After the second one they sent me home with the CPAP. I don't get to see the doctor until June 1st about the second results. Isn't this like putting the cart before the horse? And these things aren't cheap. I want to know if anyone is using one and if it has helped you to get a better quality night's sleep.
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Do you have, or can you ask for, a copy of the sleep study reports showing all the percentages of stages of sleep, oxygen levels, leg movements, etc.? Did they wake you up half way through the second study and have to use to CPAP to titrate you?

The CPAPs these days are less expensive than you might think -- except if your insurance wants to rent monthly for a long time. (You can go to CPAPman online to see the prices of different units.)

If you have a problem with oxygen desat and waking due to stopping breathing, the CPAP could actually help you in those areas.
  3. Jayna

Jayna New Member

It took about 6 weeks for my body to get used to it, but once it did the quality of my sleep improved tremendously. I have supplemental oxygen with mine as using it without makes me feel very claustrophobic very fast, but then I have supplemental oxygen alll day, too.
  4. teller7

teller7 New Member

I didn't understand what you meant when you asked if they had to wake me up halfway throught the second study to use to CPAPA to titrate me. What is titrate?
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

In some sleep studies, when apnea is diagnosed, you'll be fitted for a CPAP during the sleep study itself. Then the rest of the study can be used to determine what settings and/or mask are right for you. So, as it relates to apnea, titration is the act of figuring out what air pressure you need, etc. Sometimes when it is strongly suspected that apnea is a problem, the technician has the doctor's permission to stop the study mid-way and go ahead and fit the CPAP. I was curious why you already had been titrated or if the CPAP is 'just in case'. When my husband was first being diagnosed, he had one study for diagnosis then went in for a second night just for titration.[This Message was Edited on 04/03/2010]
  6. dwil55

dwil55 New Member

My husband uses one now and has for a few years. He got too heavy around his neck and could hardly breath at night. I couldn't sleep at all around him. Then he got his CPAP machine for sleep Apnea and he can finally sleep well and so do I. It was a Godsend for us. He notices that when he doesn't use it he doesn't sleep as well and even wakes up non refreshed. A little difficult to get used to having it on but well worth it. He takes it everywhere.