Anyone have to wrap wrists to help with pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

It seems my wrists feel better when I apply pressure to them.My husband had some wrists bands he use to use when he did heavy weightlifting.I wrapped them around my wrist pretty tight and it did help with the pain.

A friend I use to work with back in my hairdresser days had rehuematoid.She use to hold ehr wrists all the time and would wear wrist braces alot.Now I can understand why.

Sheila
  2. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

When I took wraps off my wrists yesterday after wearing them for about 3 hours I noticed the muscles being weak.It didn't last long though.Did your dr. explain what is causing this pain?Is it FM or arthrtis?

Sheila
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I usually apply pressure to wrists but cant sustain it so I'll try the wrist bands.

Thanks
    love

Rosie
  4. UNREAL05

UNREAL05 New Member

I have pain in my arms, from my elbows to my wrist. Enough pain to have problems with writting. In physical therapy they suggested that I sleep with my arms straight out. So what I did, was to wrap them in small bathroom towels all night so I would not bend them in my sleep. Just like a cast. Beleive me you look funny and at the beginning it was vey uncomfortable, but it works. I now only do it about twice a week to be able to support the pain.You can wrap it and hold it together with masking tape.It pulls right out in the morning. Try it!!

unreal05
  5. MsE

MsE New Member

I often wrap my right wrist at night. I did ask my doctor about this and he said it was quite common; there is a nerve that gets pinched. Said if it got too bad, he would give me a cortisone shot. (I don't think so :)) But if that is the case, why does wrapping my wrist help? I don't wrap it so tightly that I can't use it, but something about the bit of pressure eases the pain.
  6. tejanya

tejanya New Member

i use braces that are for carpol tunnel. no i don't have that, i have fibro. it really helps when my arm hurts. it keeps me from bending my wrists. i also use it when my fingers ache or go numb. seem werid something like that can help so much. i also have one for my leg (either one) that helps when my ankles hurt. all it does is brace the area that must need that since it works. i have a tennis elbow brace for when my forearm hurts. the one on top down from your elbow. when it aches i know i will be heading to the bathroom soon. i know it seems strange but it is what happens. my doc gave these to me and told me what they are normally used for. normally...like that is me. i am unusual, so are alot of us fibro members.
  7. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here has problems with their wrist making popping and cracking sounds when you move them up and down and in a circle?

I've had problems with my wrist for yrs, it was one of my first symptoms when I came down with CFIDS/FMS. They would pop and crack when I moved them, and then the extreem pain would come on, sometimes for weeks at a time. Binding them tightly was one of the ways I used to help with the pain, heat pads was another. I am still plagued with this symptom, and it's been 12yrs. I get it on and off, sometimes it goes to my knees, hips, shoulder blades and ankles.

There are times I feel like my limbs will fall right off my body! I do get a break in between flares....thank goodness!
    Feels like my life force is sucked out of my body when this is happening!

Sandy
  8. ephemera

ephemera New Member

My acupuncturist recommended I use the elastic bands for hands & feet. It really didn't help me with my pain. I use them when I feel especially weak. Also, they help me with keeping my extremeties warm.

I do feel like I need to wrap my shoulders in a brace. They're popping & extending with lots of level 8 cry out loud pain. Bummer...
  9. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Whenever I use the computer, I put mine on. Keeps me from having pain.

Been using magnetic wraps since the 80's; not just for my wrists, but my ankles, back, neck, head, knees.....yep all of those have pain off 'n on.

My magnets are my saviors!

LIGHT*********carole
  10. MsE

MsE New Member

Those magnetic thingees really work? I wonder how. Do you know?
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

I used to when I worked and was on the computer 10 hours a day -- I had to because typing all day caused so much pain in my wrists - and it helped somewhat.

[ advertisement ]