Anyone have trouble driving?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeresaBnGA, Sep 21, 2002.

1. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Just to see if it is me or if anyone else has trouble driving now. My trouble lies in my feet and legs. In pushing down on the accelerator pedal my foot and leg starts to tremor pretty bad. It is very difficult for me to drive because of that. I have not been driving very much lately at all. Going out for a leisurly drive by myself listening to my favorite music used to be a good release and comfort to me. Now I feel as though that is being taken away from me too!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  2. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Just to see if it is me or if anyone else has trouble driving now. My trouble lies in my feet and legs. In pushing down on the accelerator pedal my foot and leg starts to tremor pretty bad. It is very difficult for me to drive because of that. I have not been driving very much lately at all. Going out for a leisurly drive by myself listening to my favorite music used to be a good release and comfort to me. Now I feel as though that is being taken away from me too!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  3. dojomo

dojomo New Member

and sold my car. My trouble is that driving is so multi-tasked , that I don't have the energy to concentrate on SO many things at once..It became very unsafe for me and others! And yes...it contrbutes to the "isolating" phenomenon that we are experiencing. Losing the ability to afford a car and drive has closed so many doors...Looking STILL for new doors to open.........DJ
  4. karenm

karenm New Member

I don't know if this might help, but there is a book called "Phobia Free" by Dr. Harold Levinson. The focus is that fears are caused by physiological problems within the brain and inner ear. He has a treatment plan using very small doses of anti-motion medication to re-train the brain and inner ear. I too have a problems driving. Too much stimuli causes me to panic. I get very overwhelmed. When I read Dr. Levinsons book I felt he was describing me. He sites many differnt reasons why the brain and inner ear get out of whack. I have an appointment this week to talk to my doctor about trying his treatment.

Karen
  5. allhart

allhart New Member

i have the same peoblem its mostly my legs and feet that keep me from driving im glad you posted now i can show my husband im not the only one
  6. CrazyLadyR

CrazyLadyR New Member

We have a manual transmission, so pushing in the clutch and shifting gears, is horrible for me. My left knee starts to lock up or hurt so badly that the pain lasts for a couple of days. My hands and arms get mad too. Cant afford to get a diff vehicle right now. No dealer would want to take ours for any reason. :)

I hope that within the next few months, maybe income tax time, we can get a diff vehicle for me with "stop-go" pedals(as I like to say)! Then I can take the kids down to the beach more often and stuff. (My hubby is not a swimmer, and generally takes us to the beach after much complaining from all of us!)

Anyway, I think that an automatic will work out better for me, at least I hope so. Oh yeah, Teresa, please dont stop driving! Even if you take short trips around your neighborhood, keep doing it. We will cheer you on!

Blessings ~R
  7. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

one of the things that had me 1st going to the drs in May was the tremors in legs. Since then, I believe it's either the magnesium in my multivitamins or the glucosamine w/ chondroiton (which I know has made morning stiffness go away) which helped the tremors to stop.

One of the first things I learned from here is to go to your drs w/ a priority list (otherwise some things get lost in the shuffle). For me, that was/is the fatigue,,,,I would think the tremors or any reason not to be able to drive is the number 1 symptom I would ask my dr to work on (& do research on it myself). That's a biggie, and as others have said, can really affect your quality of life.

Saw this tip for buying a new car...wonder if a good mechanic could put a few of these features in a car? My car has electric seat mover, I know when I use my dad's & have to reach under the seat to move it, I've come real close to hurting my back! Best wishes to all of you & hope you all can either keep driving or get back to it! Michele

P.S. Although I don't have arthritis, I've found lots of these tips very appropriate for fms as well.

Tip of the Day for August 28, 2002

If you are thinking about buying a new car, you may want to consider including some arthritis friendly options to help make your driving experience more pleasant. These include: Easy to use controls that are large, clearly defined and easier to grasp and manipulate; adjustable seat pedals that move toward or away from the driver to reduce stress and pressure on the legs ankles and feet; heated seats that warm muscles and reduce inflammation and pain; and remote keyless entry which eliminates the need to insert and turn a key, reducing stress on hands and fingers.
    (Source: Arthritis Foundation)

Published by Pro Health, Inc., ArthritisSupport.com is the Internet’s premier website for rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.