anyone have trouble getting off Ambien??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Jan 19, 2010.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi, I am trying to wean myself off ambien as Ive been on it so long and I keep reading horror stories of people doing strange things while taking it. Like driving, having sex and eating to name a few. I have had some of the amnesia stuff forgetting things i did the night before, like talking with my husband or grandson. The trouble now is when I try not to take it im completely wired and cant sleep at all. I have been on it for about 8-9 years probabely.I had weaned down to 1/4 tablet 10mg over the last several month, but when I try to go without any wide awake for hours and hours. any suggestion? I also have been having lots of anxiety lately. God Bless you all
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I'm one of those lucky ones who were doing weird things in their sleep on it......when I went off it, I had increased trouble sleeping, but I don't remember it taking that long to get back to "normal" (my "normal" sleep is really pretty terrible, though).....have you tried anything like valerian, tryptophan, or kava kava.....those might help get you thru the rebound insomnia period
  3. slammed

slammed Member

hi campbeck97

you said you want to get off Ambien after 8 - 9 years, and i'm wondering "what are you replacing it with?"

going down to 2.5 mg and unable to sleep for hours and hours: this isn't good for you. if it's a choice between being worried about your actions while on Ambien, or not sleeping: then the clear winner is, you must sleep or bad things will really start to happen.

big point--> wait until you are Positive you are almost into bed before you take it, and be sure everyone else in your house knows"after you're asleep, don't wake me up" unless the house is on fire. that should eliminate any weird behaviors associated with Ambien.

But, if you are determined to get off it, you have to find a replacement for it ahead of time. once you are down to 2.5 mg. you are weaned essentially, and ready to switch over to your next and better choice. btw, once you discover it, would you report back here? a lot of people here are looking for success stories about something to replace Ambien.

good luck to you. hope success.