anyone have trouble READING

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

You'd think after elementary school, I'd have this down pat. But the DD makes reading books overwhelming. Some days I can do it. Other days, not a chance. I'm on the computer now because I can't read OR watch TV or listen to music. And I get jittery lying down doing nothing.

Does anyone else have a hard time reading books?

((sigh! hoping for better luck tomorrow)) Shannon

2. mezombie

mezombie Member

I can't read much, either. I mean, I can read, but I get a "hungover" feeling afterwards--nausea, dizziness, and headache.

This happens when I watch TV as well. I can handle soft music most days; something livelier in small doses when I'm better.

The only thing I've figured out to do so far is to take a break after a half hour of doing anything like that, and to be careful how much reading or TV I take in daily.

This board has become a bit addictive for me, and also triggers these symptoms...

Oh, I do take Clonazepam (Klonopin)-- small quantities--during the day to help with the payback symptoms.

I think I'm dealing with sensory overload.
  3. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Yes, me, too. Over the past few years I've found reading to be nearly impossible at times. Often I cannot even look at a page, especially books, without becoming dizzy & ocnfused. Sometimes I can slowly read a newspaper OK, other times I skim it quickly.

I've also learned that if I try to read outloud I can almost get through most sentences OK without errors. Other times I'm reading 2 or more sentences at a time & the words come out of my mouth all jumbled.

This really makes me frustrated as I used to devour books & have been a serious reader for decades. Also, as a bookseller (albeit not functioning as one now due to FM/CFIDS) I am really saddened by my lack of creativity & joy with the printed page. When holding a book in my hands I always felt a personal connection beyond my life.

Best thoughts to you...
  4. Catseye

Catseye Member

Yes! I can read, now! When I got ill 4 years ago, I couldn't read at all. I couldn't watch the news because my mind would "read" the words going by and make me sick. It was almost like I was running or something. My not being able to read is why it took me almost 4 years to figure out why and what to do about it. I just became able to read almost normal last week! I did it with diet and supplements.

The diet is pretty much vegetables, rice, beans, chicken, fruit and veggie juices. It's easier to say what I eat than what I don't, no junk. But the supplements were what really did it; I had been working on the diet for quite awhile and still couldn't read.

This is what I think is happening: when we read, we use neurotransmitters and they create waste as they use energy, just like exhaust. It builds up and makes us ill because we can't clean out fast enough. Plus we aren't making neurotransmitters efficiently, either. So here's what I took for my poor brain to help it along:

acetyl l carnitine
    trimethylglycine (an amino acid that is a precursor to neurotransmitters)
    phosphatidyl choline (another precursor)
    phosphatidyl serine (another precursor)

I think these are what's responsible for me being able to read again. If they don't work in a week, then add the mitochondria supplements for energy:

ribose
    coq10
    NADH
    magnesium

You should be reading in a few days provided your diet is good. If it isn't great, make sure you're getting a good vitamin and mineral supplement.

hope this isn't too long to read!

karen

5. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I used to read 2 books a day from the library. The difficulty in reading began just at the ende of withdrawal from Nardil, a MAO. Hideous!!!!!

i saw my eye Dr. over and over and over - nothing wrong! I just gave up on hi8m and had almost 9 monthes of not being able to see TV or papers.

Now i read the papers and my eyes are sooo tired. Also my arms and hands hurt so bad from holding the paper.

I can read a magazine3 for a while if it rests on a pillow ----hands and wrists.

I get along OK on here for about 1 1/2 hrs., then I am almost blind.

Bless you all and hope your holiday was wonderful and the turkey great.
    Joan
  6. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I just can't do it for weeks, then I can, but by the time I realize it and get some books from the library, I can't.
  7. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I used to love to read books, do crafts, watch tv, work on the computer, and especially crochet, etc.

Now I read books oh about once every couple months. When I am on the computer somedays are fine I can sit for hours, then there are days it is like I am reading and the lines keep moving on me.

Watching tv I have gotten I realize where I only watch certain shows. They have to really grab my attention or ones I can relate to (ER, CSI, etc.) Otherwise it is like I am staring at the tv, but not really listening. Reading the tv guide channel as it scrolls by...yeah, forget that!

If it is a book I am really interested in I might be able to read it, but generally anymore it is like I see the words..read them...and then I realize I am going, "what did I just read?" I started a book awhile back, it was good because I read half of it in one day. Then there it sat until it was overdue and I never did finish it. Just couldn't.

I love to crochet but after awhile because it is repetative I can only do it so long because I start to lose interest.

Attentions span, eye focus I am not sure which is worse but I miss so much of what I used to do.
    Today was extremely frustrating. I wanted to do something. Dinner was done..I had done my usual sleep for two hours..and now I sit and my eye focus no matter what is so screwed up! Grrrrr!

So you are not alone. I am not sure if this is what you are exactly talking about.

Take care and blessed be,
    Laurie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/23/2006]
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

shannnon:

I still order books from the 'Book of the Month Club'. I always used to read them.

Now I order them and sit down and can not concentrate.

Stubborn mule that I am, two just came in the mail and I keep telling myself that I will start reading again.

I can only hope or I am out thiry four dollars.

Reading was such a passion of mine. Another robbery of this
    miserable diease.

nyrofan
  9. footballmom

footballmom New Member

I used to love to read but I don't do it much anymore because I can't 'get into" the books, meaning I read the same age over and over and I just don't get it......I'm also having trouble writing....holding a pen and even remembering how to write the letters. it's bad when you can't even sign your name anymore.
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Shannon,
    Ever since I came down with these DD's, I've had great trouble reading. After a short while (like 10 minutes, once a day), my vision would blur, and my eyes would be too tired to move back and forth, and then my eyes would close. I also had great trouble remembering or concentrating on what I was reading.

Ever since I started going to Acupuncture, I have improved. I can read sometimes more than an hour, read for several sessions in one day, and I can remember more of what I read, without readng lines over and over. I feel like the world has been given back to me.

My acupuncturist accomplished this by treating me for brain fog. By the way, that, too, has really improved. I hope you, too, find an answer, so you can enjoy reading again.

Good luck,
    Terry
  11. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

This has been a symptom that's been hard for other people to understand. They can understand blurry vision, but brain disfunction? Nope. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Ephemera, you expressed your relationship with books so beautifully. I have about 60 juvenile level library books by my couch in boxes (they're easier to read than adult books), and I feel sad that I can't read them today. I was thrilled to get a copy of "Outstanding Books for the College Bound" today. Skimming the pages, I noted that I'd read several of the books mentioned in my not-as-sick days. I got fired up with eagerness reading the titles and book descriptions. What a letdown when I couldn't read a whole page of the book reccomending all these wonderful books! Then I knew I wouldn't be able to read the books themselves either.

I have a copy of Robert Frost Poems for Young People by the couch where I lie down during the day. It makes my heart twist to look at it. So much beauty that I can't get my teeth into. Luckilly though, it's an illustrated children's version, so I can look at the pictures. :) Something about cows and autumn leaves, I see. lol Thank goodness for illustrators!

I'll read another day. It goes in cycles for me. I'll have several weeks where I can't read books, then a few weeks or days where I can read. (My sleep also rotates from day to night at about the time my reading ability changes.) I don't think I'll be reading Soltzhenietsin any time soon. So, time to focus on the richness of the winter skyscape and stark branches, and the rhythms of breathing.

Oddly, when I can't read, I can write. It seems harder to write on days when I can read. So I really don't have a gripe. :) Or, as the old folks would say, "Can't complain." (When people tell me this, I assure them that they CAN complain, but they firmly refuse to do so. lol)There's always something good going on. And what a pleasure on the days when my reading ability does come back. I may just order something special ahead of time.

((between the covers, one way or other)) Shannon
  12. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Yesterday started, but I thought I was too tired. Wow is today horrible.

Reading anything it is like the line is moving. Very annoying and especially in front of the computer screen.
    Typing stinks too.

Maybe it is time for a nap....again! Yup about 10 in the moring. But since I didn't go to bed until 3 and got up at 8 I might need more sleep. :)

Take care and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie