Anyone Have Trouble Using The Sinus Rinse Pots?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jun 1, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I know I should be posting this on the sinus board but it doesn't seem to be as active.

Since CFS I have chronic sinus problems been to ENT he keeps saying infections and gives me antibiotics.

Have read where many of you had sucess with the nasal rinse, Neti-Pot etc. Well, I tried one but can't get the water to go from one nostril to the other.

What am I doing wrong, it just goes down my throat. Anyone had this problem ? Need help ?

2. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I'm glad you wrote this. I think my sinus passages get too swollen from time to time to allow the water to flow too.

Seems like when I feel I need it the most, it won't flow. I still try to rinse my nostrils with the salt water though.

I use a large syringe, without the needle obviously, rather than a neti pot.

I still don't know why they do this .. other than it's an allergic reaction to something.

BTW. Have you noticed the inside of your cheeks swelling too ? I bite these all the time because of this. [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2008]
  3. kevinguibara

kevinguibara New Member

I have started using a product named Xlear, I buy it from whole foods. It empties my sinuses immediately and I can breath all day with a spray in the morning and one at night. It is a solution of water salt and xylitol (an interesting sugar, google it)
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

I tired leaning over the sink and tilting my head to the side can't go to far get dizzy. Squirted the soluation up one nostril went down to my throat. Same with the other.

Thanks for your reply. I will give it another try.

God bless,

5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Marcia, sorry you are having the same problem but its good to hear that I am not alone with this not working. Maybe mine are also to swollen for it to work. I use the saline wash. The ENT told me to use it 4 times a day. I haven't noticed any swollen cheeks, is this with the use of the wash or just from sinuses?

Kevinguibara, I have heard of Xlear but haven't been able to find it. We only have a Walmart , GNC and the local drug stores . Glad it works for you, thanks for the info.

6. greatgran

greatgran Member

That is what I am using now, since the nettt-pot hasn't been helpfur. Its Simple Saline 4 times a day I am sure it helps but I still have problems with the sinus, aches , fatigue etc.

I often think mine is allergy related, I ask for the allergy test but the ENT didn't think they were necessary.

Guess I need to see an Immunologist.

Thanks for your reply,
  7. kevinguibara

kevinguibara New Member;jsessionid=WVYM12SUPZIUYCQUC4WVAFYKCQL1AUNE?id=XL-1001
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Do you breath through your mouth while using the neti pot? That is supposed to prevent the solution running down your throat.

ProHealth has a xylitol nasal rinse.
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

Littlebluestream, I think I breath through my mouth. I will try and make sure I do. If it works I will Post.

10. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

I, too, use the squirt bottle. Works much better!
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

I had trouble at first, took me about 10 times

I bought The Neil Med bottle, not the pot

What I do is bend over the sink and tilt my head to the side. I don't aim the nozzle straight back, but rather to the side of my nose

I also keep my mouth open

Also, if you are too stuffed, it will not work
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

I muct be really stuffed up, I still can't get it to work.

Have tried and tried, mouth open, to the side etc. It will not drain from one nostril to another.

13. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Hi Gran,
    i've been using the neti pot too for a few months. i can get it to run from the left nostril ok, but from the left to right, just a darn trickle, im thinking it's cause i have a deviated septum i got popped in the nose in high school & it's never been the same . also that side always seems to be stopped up, i cant get much air thru that side, just a thought.Kat
  14. renjanson

renjanson New Member

I had to practice a little bit to get it right.

The trick is the tilt your head forward enough so it won't go down your throat.

So tilt forward first, then to the side.

Hope this helps.
  15. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Does that clear up ALL of your sinuses, including ears popping and everything? My sinus pain and pressure is going absolute nuts due to allergies.

Greatgran, what did you decide to try? I hope it is working out for you!

Thanks everyone for the info!

Warm hugs,

16. greatgran

greatgran Member

I tried all the suggestions and thanks but still no luck. Just couldn't get water to go from one nostril to another.

Not sure what in the heck is wrong with me.

17. landra

landra New Member

just spit it out your mouth.

I do another version, just saline water in my hand. "Snif" it up one nostril and out the mouth. It washes the back of the soft pallete (sp?) too which has helped me remove stuff from way back there! Then you can also gargle with some.

I was taught this way long before neti pots! And going down the back of the nose and out the mouth is how I was told it was originally done in India - for what that is worth.
  18. kbak

kbak Member

I used a netti pot for a long time. It did completely stop my sinus infections. It is a pain to use. Even tho I had no problem using it correctly I always felt like I was drowning.

I read an article one time that said if you put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in each ear you could treat a cold. I took it one step further. I got a bulb syringe the kind you use on a baby, and I fill it with half HP and the rest water and flush one ear and repeat and flush the other.

Believe it or not it works equally well to prevent sinus infections. I do this in the shower so there's no mess.

Take care,
  19. Juloo

Juloo Member

...getting dizzy, then you may not be able to get the right position. I've used the sinus pot, the syringe, and even an attachment for my WaterPik. You've got to bend over the sink and get your head almost upside down.

Especially w/the WaterPik attachment (it's not as harsh as it sounds -- the idea is to decrease the flow of water to a trickle).

But it may be that you're really clogged up on one side and the water just will not flow up and through and down through the other side. When I was really swollen, it wouldn't work right.

Now I can only rinse, since I have a hole in my septum compliments of sinus surgery. But at least rinsing cleanses the most immediate part of my nose.

Here is another thing to try. Fill a disposable cup w/saline solution to the rim. Lean forward over the sink and put your nose in it, keeping your mouth open for breathing. It helps if the water is as cold as possible so sinus tissues will shrink. As the pressure inside your nose changes slightly from breathing, a little of the solution will be drawn into your lower nose area -- periodically remove the solution and blow GENTLY to get rid of any mucus.

Also, if you're brave enough and can overcome the dizziness to really get your head upside-down to do a proper rinse, be prepared for a really WEIRD feeling as the water (tepid -- no cold solution required here or you'll get a headache!) goes where it probably never has before. It took me a few tries to get used to the feeling.

I should also mention -- in the last couple of months, I read of a new 'fix' for sinus problems. It was an adaptation of balloon angioplasty...but could be done by ENTs in the office. They would slide the tube up into the nostil then inflate to depress the swollen areas. Apparently it really has helped some people. Can't remember what it's called, though -- maybe someone else knows.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2008]
  20. first concentrate on breathing through your moouth. and make sure to really tilt your head down and way sideways. It should run out the other side. Maybe your sinuses are plugged up big time? I love my neti pot!