Anyone have trouble walking on hard surfaces like concrete?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Aug 27, 2003.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi:

It's been awhile since I have posted anything. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over a year ago, but believe I have had it a great deal of my life.

I try to exercise four to five times a week. Sometimes I take a half-hour walk around my neighborhood. I finally began to realize that on the days I walked that I would often have a lot of hip and leg pain that evening. I feel like I was so stupid not to finally realize that walking on pavement for a half-hour was definitely exacerbating my pain. I still go for my walks, but now I walk on the edge of the road in the dirt or grass. It hasn't completely eliminated pain from this area, but it has certainly helped. Can anyone relate to this experience?

Ellen Comstock
  2. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

I agree with the concrete. I do like you and walk in the grass or dirt.
  3. wle

wle New Member

but am just the opposite. I cannot walk on on uneven surfaces. Hurts me to walk across the yard or down the drive way (we have a gravel drive). It is much easier for me to walk in the street if I do any walking at all. WLE
  4. LAFR

LAFR New Member

Hi, Yes I can relate. I've been walking for years 5 miles a day or so, about a year ago or so my hips, legs and knees would hurt after I walked. I thought it was strange. But I made excuses for why they hurt.. wrong kind of shoes etc. I was just diagnoised in feb. this year but all the symptoms came on slowly over the years. I was always at my doctors complaining of something,. Headaches ( which he said were tension ..but nothing relieved them) , leg aches (he said I needed more calcium), but in Jan I went to him because I felt like I had the flu 24/7..since I believe around Nov or so. I can't stand anyone touching me..my whole body hurts .I stopped walkig 5 miles a day..hurts to much especially the next day.. I can't get out of bed. I can't stand on my feet It takes all I can do (gritting my teeth) not to scream..It takes me awhile to get going, I limp around like an old lady..I'm 32..with 3 very active little boys( twins 6 ,brother 7 ,11 months an one day a part)( maybe that's why I have FM) anyway yes my legs/hips ache after I walk on pavement..that's why I stopped...but I'm going to start again slowly.. and just grit my teeth..now that I know I'm not crazy and it's not the shoes either (boy will the dentist love me..) does grinding your teeth come along with FM?...cuz I never did before..
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I was just fitted with a tooth guard this summer and started wearing it a few weeks ago. Took me a little time to get used to it. I am guessing that teeth grinding is fairly common with FM with all the pain we go through.

Ellen

P.S. You must be busy with three children so close in age.
  6. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Before I knew what was wrong my kids would want to go to the mall, not to be with me I am sure, just needed clothes.

At Christmas I would give them so much and take them. They had no idea I felt the "greatest gift" was walking the mall. I would suffer soooo after. I did not know why but I know now walking on hard surfaces makes my spine and neck flare,alot.

I used to pound the hosp. pavement on 12 hr. or more shifts never gave it a thought. Now just to walk my complex puts me in alot of distress.

Most my fm friends stopped malls etc. too hard,lol.Little punn.

Use the water much easier on you.
  7. drtech

drtech New Member

I have found that other than having to walk at work, I will ride my bike to keep from pounding my feet into any surface. My doc said I have a small heel spur, but both of my feet are in pain most of the time. When I had access to water aerobics it was the best exercise I could get that didnt make my feet ache for days.
    DR
  8. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I am glad you posted this ?. I too tried going for small walks around the parking lot at work. After doing so for about a week I got the worst fibro knot in my leg which lasted for weeks. Before this knot I noticed how achy and heavy almost swollen that my legs felt. What a drag! I now use the Tony Little Gazelle which is zero impact. I like this but have to start out slow.
    Judy

[ advertisement ]