anyone have trouble with broccoli?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by puffy1, Aug 18, 2006.

1. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

Just wondering if anyone else has a broblem eating broccoli.
    seems like every time I eat it raw or cooked I get realy bad painful gas that is quite often followed by diarrhea.

Is this a symptom of IBS I have never been diagnosed with it but I hear it is common for fibro suffers to have it.

I have a hard time getting diagnosed with anything other than fibro they really generlize it.

Teri
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

try taking some fiber pills...daily...that may help...i buyt the costco brand and works just fine...

jodie
  3. ulala

ulala New Member

were having trouble with broccoli because it was being fertilized with hydrolized animal protein, but I think they were having allergic reactions.

Do you buy organic? Do you have problems with both organic and grocery store bought? Broccoli can also case problems for people with diverticulitis/diverticulosis.

Maybe cook the broccoli a little? I've been slicing broccoli and other vegetables and cooking them in olive oil and lots of fresh garlic and garlic powder.

How about Beano? I've never tried it but it's for gas/
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2006]
  4. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

I don't buy organic food not becuse I don't wnat to buy I really can't afford to spend the extra money for it.

I do cook it most of the time but I also eat it raw in a salad I get the same results both ways so I have givin up eating it.
    I always rince my vegtables though that was ok.
    but thanks for the input.
    but not everyone I talk to that eats it has this problem.
    maybe it is common and no one talks about it I didn't always have this problem its kind of a new development.

Teri
  5. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

I have considered beano but that is just for gas right not dieareha? I never seem to have the extra money when I remeber it.
    I take prilocet for my barrets and that is exspensive to buy but I need it a lot more than I would beano so I just don't eat broccoli right now but I well try it one of these days thanks.

Teri
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

Hi again, puffy...see, I saw your name and the subject interested me, so here I am again! LOL

I sometimes have a problem with broccoli, maybe because I like it just barely cooked. So, I cook it longer than I really want, and I "split" the ends so the stems cook real well too.

The thing that helps my digestive problems (IBS with diarrhea) the most, to the point of non-existent pain and gas too, is a probiotic, taken religiously every single day. This website store has some good probiotics, and they are not expensive, especially if you order them on the regular-delivery plan.

I hope you get the relief (how does one spell that?) you need.

findmind
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

Eggs and cruciferous vegetables (eg broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower), raw garlic, onions, leeks and shallots contain natural sulphur compounds.

Sulphur can cause these symptoms if you do not have enough of the good bacteria to break it down in the GI tract in which case digestive enzymes and probiotics should help.

Some of us have more bodywide symptoms through problems metabolising sulhpur, this is due to problems with the second liver detox pathway; molybdenum may help with that.

TC, Tansy
  8. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

Thank you for your suggestions I well try to get some probiotics. probably not this pay check but maybe the next.

not sure what that is does yogurt help at all? I like to eat yogurt but I don't always have it around.

Teri
  9. findmind

findmind New Member

I've heard good things about Activiv, advertised on TV. It has live cultures in it. Maybe you could try that and see how you cope with broccoli.

Think I would cook up some broccoli, then toss inActiviv for a sauce, LOL! Don't heat the yogurt, tho.

Or use the yogurt as a dressing on raw broccoli.

Your yogurt should say "live cultures" on it, to be effective.

I use to buy a large brown glass bottle of creamy acidophillus in the deli departmnet, I think...ask a manager if they carry it, or can get it. If you ask at Walmarts, they might get it for you.

Good luck...
    findmind
  10. puffy1

puffy1 New Member

I do eat yogurt off and on sometime I just don't have the extra money to get it I love yogurt and I alwys get the kind that says live culture on it.

don't recall it ever helping witht he broccoli problem though but I well give it a try thanks

Teri