Anyone have trouble with their spouse snoring?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shelly P, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Shelly P

Shelly P New Member

Hi, I'm newly married and have FMS. I tend to be a light sleeper and wake up 2 or 3 times a night, as many of you can relate to. Each time I wake up, my husband is always snoring, causing me to have an even tougher time falling back asleep. Plus, for some reason, it seems like sounds are magnified, making his snoring seem worse than it probably is. Latley, I have been getting frustrated and end up sleeping on the couch for half the night. Then I feel guilty the next day for leaving him, since we are newlyweds and all. My husband feels bad that I've been having such a tough time lately and has tried everything to stop snoring. The only thing left for him to do is to lose weight, which he is in the process of doing.

Do anyone of you have this same problem? What do you do to fall back asleep?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Shelly
  2. Shelly P

Shelly P New Member

Hi, I'm newly married and have FMS. I tend to be a light sleeper and wake up 2 or 3 times a night, as many of you can relate to. Each time I wake up, my husband is always snoring, causing me to have an even tougher time falling back asleep. Plus, for some reason, it seems like sounds are magnified, making his snoring seem worse than it probably is. Latley, I have been getting frustrated and end up sleeping on the couch for half the night. Then I feel guilty the next day for leaving him, since we are newlyweds and all. My husband feels bad that I've been having such a tough time lately and has tried everything to stop snoring. The only thing left for him to do is to lose weight, which he is in the process of doing.

Do anyone of you have this same problem? What do you do to fall back asleep?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Shelly
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

Hi, Shelly, there are many reasons why you may be a light sleeper, but as you hint yourself, it's very common in CFS -and FMS. Here are a few things I've done:

(a) earplugs. For years I couldn't sleep with earplugs, they gave me headaches, but I've finally found some I can sleep with.

(b) sleeping stuff: lavender oil on the pillow, melatonin (you need to find the right dose, which may take some time), valerian (apparently one can't overdose on that stuff), and if you're suffering from 'sensory overload' (i.e. everything sounds louder than it is, etc.), clonazepam (a prescription drug, though) may help - it helps me.

(c)sleeping in separate rooms. My partner and I had the routine of hugging, cuddling, whatever you do, in one bed, then one leaves to another room for sleep, and comes crawling back into the bigger bed in the morning. There are studies that most people have sounder sleep when sleeping in separate beds (even the snorers), so this perhaps wouldn't be such a terrible thing to do, even if you're newly-wed?

Hope something works out for you in the end.
    hugs, Susanne
  4. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Hi Shelly. Congratulations on your marriage. My husband snores too. I've been married for 31 years, but he only started snoring about 12 years ago. It did disrupt my sleep, and I think that was a contributing factor in the beginning of my FMS. I do a few things. First, I always ear plugs to bed. Second, I try to go to bed before he does. Once I'm asleep I usually stay asleep. As an aside, the reason I stay asleep is because I take Trazodone and Norflex. But, if I do wake up and he's snoring, I go into the guest room. And if he's asleep before me and is snoring when I'm ready to go to sleep, then I go into the guestroom. He knows why I do this, and he knows I need a good night's sleep. I guess it's harder when you're a newly-wed. I would also suggest he go for a sleep study. He could have sleep apnea, or a deviated septum.

Annette2
  5. epicurean

epicurean New Member

now that I have fibro I try to get to sleep first.If its really bad my hubby will go in guest room-since he knows how important my sleep is -great guy!!!
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Shelly:

I have a husband who snores, too. Have you considered getting a sound machine. We have one that plays like eight different sounds. Some of the sounds I found to be annoying. We both liked the sound of falling rain so that's what we turn on every night. It doesn't totally mask the sound of his snoring, but it does enough so it doesn't disturb my sleep. The fibormyalgia disturbs my sleep enough as it is-I certainly didn't need snoring, too! We got our machine at Radio Shack and it wasn't very expensive. You might consider checking this out.

Good luck!

Ellen
  7. pamela

pamela New Member

My hubby snores and talks in his sleep. I tried the melatonin but woke up every hour from it w/ terrible nightmares. He usually sleeps on the couch and lets me sleep in the bed, but when I feel guilty that he does that then I try to sleep w/ him and then when the snoring starts I go on to the couch. Also there is another thing which is the breathe right strips or duct tape. That use to work but my hubby usually tears it off in his sleep. Not a whole lot you can do with this type of problem until they correct it somehow. Pamela
  8. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Hello. Yes, my partner snores. My suggestion is to buy the best ear plugs around -- not just those that keep out a little air plane noise.

I go to bed about 3-4 hours after her, so I know she's in a good sleeping place already. I can't sleep with any noise or light, so it's a real struggle for me even up to 4 hours after I've taken my meds for me to start to drift.

We have a king size bed which helps me a bit with my reactions to movements, unexpected touches or odd sensations.

The recent news is that I've started snoring about 6-8am, when I've finally gone to sleep. This has never happened before & the snoring sound is now on the other foot.... Never say never.

Best thoughts.
  9. marinemom

marinemom New Member

For years, I was a single parent. When I finally found my husband, who by the way won't discuss this DD, I considered myself very lucky.

He is a snorer (is that a word?) too. But you know what? Every time I wake up from his snoring I tell myself that I'm safe and cared for. He really does have his good qualities (somewhere) and I know that he loves me. If his snoring is too loud, I just gently roll him over in the opposite direction. If he wakes up from this and says anything, I just tell him that I needed more room on the bed! (king size bed, but he doesn't think of that in the wee hours of the AM!)

To me, the sound of that snoring (most of the time) is a sign of security that I haven't had for many years. I don't know if anyone else would agree with me, but it's just my thoughts on it.

Now, to advertise just a little, check out my message on page two. It's a poem my oldest son wrote to me years ago.

Good luck to you in your new marriage.

God Bless You.
    Kathy
  10. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Shelly---I can greatly appreciate the noise problem. I am oversensitive to noises, now as well. They make me shudder and cringe, or just plain send me over the edge...lol.
    I am the snorer tho....unrelentless snuffling, and gasping for air, as I have sleep apnea, too--along with many other sleep depriving problems--restless leg syndrome, teeth grinding, talking, and sleep walking. Have had the deviated septum fixed, am going to go to a sleep lab for the rest, soon I hope, when finances allow.
    Losing weight does sometimes stop or lessen the snoring---has he seen a physician about this. Sleep apnea if it occurs with the snoring can be a big concern.
    I liked the idea...some gave you about earplugs....i have been contemplating this recently, Especially when we have a house full of grandkids..and kids of our own. The volumn that they all use is incredible, and I am sure the plugs will just muffle the nose so it is bearable, lol.
    Best of Luck!
    Karen
  11. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

get him to have the UUVA something like that they remove the excess skin in the throat and snoreing stopped and risk of high blood pressure decresses. Good for both of you. That's what Gary had done. Love it! Until then how about a sound machine.

Good luck, Kim