Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stinker56, Aug 10, 2008.

1. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

Just lately, my ears have become infected and itch. I try leaving my earrings out over the weekends but wear them to work everyday.

I only wear good gold or silver earrings as the cheaper ones have always given me trouble but now the good ones are too.

Years ago when I was younger and wore jeans all the time with bikini panties, the snaps or buttons on the jeans would cause my stomach to break out and get sore.

Think any of this could be linked to FMS or RA?

2. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I have never been diagnosed with CFS but I bet you are right about the nickel allergy.

That is a good idea about the duct tape. I would never have thought about that.

I may have to give up wearing earrings all the time.

3. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

infected for weeks. And, my stomach itches. I never even gave it a thought. I used to get those bumps in my ears when I was younger but I didn't have a problem again until the last couple of years. Thanks for making me think - I will watch what metals I use.
  4. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

Hi, I have fibro, but I also think I have cfs.

i also could never wear earrings, even as a child my ears would itch get red and swell up real bad.

So I wonder if this had anything to do will all I am going threw.
  5. bellydonna

bellydonna New Member

Yep, i often go for long periods during which I cannot wear'em.
    Allergic to lots of the metal mixed used in things.
    Also, it seems that lead is in many shiny consumer goods: it is what makes them shine.

Allergic to latex also. sometimes get rash from the elastic in underwear
  6. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

I have severe nickel allergy. My Derm told me to coat the post and any other part of the earring that comes into contact with your skin with Sally hanson hard as nails clear nail polish. It works for me. BUT it has to be the specific brand for me the others aggrivated my skin.

7. becc

becc New Member

I've been allergic to nickel my whole life and so have always had to wear silver earrings. About a year ago, my ears started getting infected frequently - I thought the earrings I was wearing (just plain studs) were sterling silver but it turned out they had a nickel core - not exactly silver plated (the silver was thicker) but not solid sterling silver.

I bought a new pair of solid sterling silver sleepers and haven't had any trouble since. I don't like gold but high quality gold should be ok too - just make sure that whatever you wear is solid silver or gold and doesn't have a cheaper core.

I don't know that it has anything to do with ME/CFS or FM - nickel allergy is very common. Almost everyone I know with pierced ears is allergic to it.

Bec :)
  8. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I can't wear mine longer than one day then I have to let

them rest. I tried to put some on this morning, No go.

9. cct

cct Member

My ears have been double pierced (two piercings in each ear) for many many years. I wore simple high-quality gold studs for decades.

Then, about two years ago, I started to experience itching and swelling within just a few minutes of inserting the earrings. I had to completely stop wearing earrings because it became too painful.

msnova74 and nink . . . . .
    Thanks for the great suggestions! I am going to investigate both of these options. With your help, I may be able to wear earrings again. It really would be nice to feel a little more girly!
  10. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I've always had that problem if I wear studs - but no problem if I wear dangly's.

A year ago I developed the same thing when wearing my rings. I read online that boiling them in vinegar every so often helps - I tried it and it did work (except a few months later I started swelling and have remained swelled, so now the rings no longer fit - LOL, always something!).
  11. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I have double pierced ears too, and my original 'holes' are 36 years old or so. I used to be able to wear the cheapest, rankest earrings and never have any problems but now by the end of the day I can't wait to take them out.

I like to wear studs or small hoops in the second hole (which aren't quite as old) but they are VERY sensitive so I'm not always successful. I just attributed it to the fact that I hadn't worn earrings in them for a few years. But now I wonder?
  12. cct

cct Member

That's funny . . . made me laugh!

Sometimes the people at the SSA can be such blockheads.

If they line you up with an earring installer/adjuster job, please let me know. I would like to apply for a similar job through my SS office . . . LOL!
  13. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

It's amazing how many of us have the same problem.

That is a good idea to try about the nail polish.

Also, I am going to go online and order a catalog of the Simply Whispers.

14. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I often wonder if this has something to do with the root canal connection to ME.

Peace out,
  15. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

and it sucks.

16. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

I wear only one day and infected and I wear good earings. So I only wear for good occasions. Bobby
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2008]