Anyone having good results from Rich's protocol?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mort1, Jan 3, 2008.

1. mort1

mort1 New Member

I have been on and off Rich's Simplified Protocol for about 8 months.. After about a month on it, full bore, it does not affect me either pro or con, so I forget to take it. I am re-starting it today; have been off it for about 6 weeks and am really dragging, so will give it another try and keep all five supplements on my desk, right by my monitor.

I would appreciate replies about your experience with Rich's Protocol. There seem to be lots scattered around this site, but difficult to search for them.

Many thanks to everyone who replied so wonderfully to my Oct 4th "haircut" post! We sure went to the party, had a great time, but it knocked me out for about a month. Super CFS overdo.

I'm now having super CFS sleep problems and my days and nights are reversed. But it is now 5:30 am and I have been up 12 hours so am very sleepy. I hope to arise and see a little daylight and get out in it for about an hour, before dark hits again. As longer days come on, I hope to get semi-regulated and even cut grass again this summer - very slowly.

Rest, sleep and rest - that seems to be about the only effective CFS therapy. Necessity may be a better term.

mort1 near Pittsburgh
    CFS since 1994 and about 10% functional.
    Age 67 Biomedical Engineer
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

I think I just really needed the folate from the methylation protocol, I was already doing most of the other things.

But look at Rich's complete protocol, it's got more detail. About the only thing he doesn't address here in detail is the mitochondrial malfunction. But he does talk about it in other articles. See my recent post on mitochondria for the link.

You also need to make sure the digestive system and liver are working properly.

best wishes,

3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I think that adding the activated folates (along with B12) has been essential with regard to the progress I've made.

I think it will be equally essential with regard to future progress as well as staying well.

However, it's been obvious that I've gotten a reaction to the methylation. I've had huge detox reactions from it, which have convinced me without a doubt that the ability to convert folic acid --> activated folate is a problem for me.

That doesn't mean that it's a problem for everyone else who has the broadly defined diagnosis of CFS though.
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

i started the 5 supps in Feb 07. I combined it with transfer factor. at some point, i moved to the longer protocol.

I'm now doing bits and pieces of it... esp the mitochondrial supps, the gaba, the probiotics, some gsh, and most recently BH4.

I've made a lot of progress, although it's been slow and grueling.

Sleep improved immediately. Cognitive function more slowly. BH4 seems to be helping with that. I do have the CBS upreg.

good luck
  5. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Mort!

I've been on three of Rich's basic five supplements for 9 1/2 months now. (the B-12 and folates) I am doing it very, very gradually, so I have been very slowly detoxing. What I like about these supplements is that the effect hasn't faded. I'm still getting detoxing from them.

I like these supplements very much, and I think they have been very helpful to me. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will be helpful to everyone. I did feel a reaction to them very quickly.

I agree with you about the rest and sleep being extremely important.

6. mort1

mort1 New Member

Hello once again -

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my January 08 post about Rich's Simplified Protocol, which I was on at that time. I stopped doing it about March as it did not seem to have any effect, yea or nay. But about the first of this month (June 08) my CFS became rapidly very worse and I have spent several days almost constantly in bed. So, for the past 10 days, I have been back on Rich's protocol and am feeling even somewhat worse. Maybe that is a good sign - Herxing, so will keep it going this time.

Again, I would greatly appreciate reports from others who are on Rich's Simplified Protocol. This time, I most truly promise to respond to all replies.

I am an engineer, so do like numerical reports of results. I have a system going for evaluating my CFS fatigue and overall functionality, which is expressed in percent. I ask myself how many clones of me, at the present moment, would be needed to do the work of the average man my age, per day. At present, I am at 10%, which means that it would take 10 of me to do the work of one average man my age. If I am 20%, which I sure wish I was, it would only take 5 of me to equal the work functionality of an average my age (67).

I have not seen 30% for the past 5 years. I contracted CFS 14 years ago, at age 54, when I was a Superman. The first five years were not so bad, after recovering 3 months from the initial "FLU", and I was at about 60% at the start of the sixth year, in 2000. I felt pretty good then, and even got married, after being divorced since 1977. My beautiful and energetic wife Kathy accepts my increasing CFS handicap very well - she is indeed a Wonder Woman. She is 9 years younger than me. I must get well for Kathy!

Thank you all, my dear friends. I will check into this super board much more often!

Mort Caldwell in SW Pennsylvania
  7. spacee

spacee Member

I have bumped up Kluzo's post "Creatin is Amazing". In that post RichVK gives a list of the improvements people have made according to his records. I think his answer is covers more people than are on this board and good answer your questions.

8. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I felt worse and better all at the same time on Richs' 5. I found I went back to sleeping in the afternoons again.. but it felt like a good healing sleep.

I remember also reporting feeling alternately better and worse cognitively. It's all in my old posts.

Click on my name on the LHS of the page and that will call up my bio and all my old posts. I started Rich's 5 in Feb 07.. so you may wanna go back that far.