Anyone having more trouble doing 'thinking' tasks?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lillieblake, Aug 18, 2008.

1. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I cannot do thinking work. I have ADHD, and it is worse with the fm. I also have high blood pressure, and take clonodine which is also for ADHD, and until this dd, it did the job.

Now I cannot think for long. Forget cross word puzzles. Forget playing games on the computer. And don't even think about paying bills.

And that worries me because I not only have to get stuff ready for the attorney so I can get disability, I have two more legal cases to investigate (back child support) and two letters to write that need massive amounts of valid proofs of issues.

So I just don't do anything.

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

I can totally relate to how you feel. My thinking feels like its on short circuit..

I'm trying to put as many bills on auto pay as I can. You can do this with most everything now. It helps, but then you still have to try and remember how much $ you have!!!!!!!!!!

I have several legal issues that have plagued me now for over a year(do you lose track of time to?). I bought a tape recorder to help and forget to use it! It's hard trying to put your thoughts togather and get it down on paper.

Let your lawyer know and see if he can help you out..

I don't do anything either because it gets so overwhelming, but you are looking at money to support yourself. Try looking into an advocate to help you.

Best of luck 3gs
  3. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I am on Ritalin 20 mg 3x day for the adhd. That helps some, but my word retreival is awful. It pisses me off because up until now I have been a very good speaker ( minus swearing). Do not worry about memory issues while going for ss disability. This problem will actually help you get it. When I applied, first time on my own they sent me for a comp psych exam. I have PTSD, anxiety. A major piece to the exam tested me on my comprehenion and memory.
    I got approved within 3 months of applying (Thank GOD).

My sister in law has RSD ( reflex sympathetic Disorder) Very Painful. She was denied due to no memory problems.

Good luck- Jenn
  4. dannybex

dannybex Member

..of both fibro and CFS. As Cheney and many others have said the brain (or certain parts of it) become overstimulated in these diseases.

I would be careful of labels...just my opinion(!)...but this brain fog may not be actual ADHD, but due in fact to infections in your gut or elsewhere that screw up brain function.

It does tend to get better and worse and better and worse, etc., no matter what drugs you might try. It's just part of the diagnosis.

Some people have found benefits from 5htp, from probiotics, from rhodiola, from b12, from essential fatty acids...there are many things to try besides drugs.

Drugs may help for a short time, but it's not the result of a drug deficiency. It's best to try and find the root of the problem.
  5. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I am not labeling "fibro fog" with adhd. I just happened to have both ,which are clearly different. I take my medications and vitamins to have an actual quality of life. I am not endorsing for everyone to get on my regimine. I am however sharing info when asked on what works for me.
  6. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

You sound just like me. I don't have ADHD or don't think so and I have those problems.

I know my memory has gotten so bad I forget days, Well like things I did on those days, my hubby will tell me things that I do not remember.

Well even my sister in law has told me things about like 2 days in a row I don't recall. It is scaring me but what can you do. I know I have wondered about early alheimers but I am only 42 so that shouldn't be a possiblity.

I am sorry for you that you have memory problems.
    Good luck to you.
  7. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I can't make decisions. Seriously, I will sit there forever trying to decide on something. It's like super hard.

I can't do math. Do not ask me to do simple math. I can't subtract and a bunch of other math things. I must use a calculator or I'll die.

My judgment is impaired from the illness. I do not trust my judgment anymore.

Short attention span, can't sit an watch a whole movie, I'll want to do a million things in between.

Alternately, I cannot multitask. I can only do one real thing at a time, and pretty much one real thing a day.

Can't absorb books anymore. Super hard to actually sit and read something other than a short mag article and even then, I might try to skim it.

There are probably other cognitive symptoms I have, but I can't remember. It just does alot of things to us.

[This Message was Edited on 08/18/2008]
  8. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

It was also the first CFIDS symptom I had.

The first time I realized something was really wrong and I wasn't just getting forgetful was about 3 years ago.

I was a parts manager then. I was working the counter with both phone and walk-in customers. It was a Saturday and extremely busy. I hadn't been feeling "great" since the previous Wednesday, but I was still functional and couldn't quite put my finger on what was going on.

Anyway, I'm on the phone looking up a part for the customer. He's describing it to me, it is something I've looked up before dozens of times, but I cannot find it in the electronic parts catalog on the computer. I'm trying and trying and can't remember where to go. The customer is asking what is taking so long. Suddenly, I get this huge pressure feeling in my head that I had never had before. My head feels like it is going to explode from the inside out. By this time I'm not even sure where I am.

My fingers can't push the computer keys anymore. I drop the phone and collapse to the floor. This with a whole showroom full of customers and my co-workers looking on.

My boss wanted to call an ambulance. He thought I was having a heart attack. I was carried into the break room and sat down. I didn't have any chest pains so I didn't think it was a heart attack. I didn't recover enough to get back on the counter after 30 minutes so I asked someone to take me home.

That's the first time it happened and it took me out for a week.

I'm to the point now that I can hardly balance the check book in the privacy of my own home.

It is very common with these DDs.

PS I have also become dyslexic. Never had that problem before.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2008]
  9. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Brain fog is brutal. Frequently I'm in the middle of a conversation with a customer when I totally blank.

Dyslexia is very common too with this DD - so I very rarely hand write anymore and use spell check all the time.
  10. homesheba

homesheba New Member

it is sometimes embarressing
    in fact
    especially when i am talking with someone
    and my mind goes totally blank and i studder
    trying to think of word
    and then ill just stick in any word
    even if it doesnt even go
    with what i am saying!!