Anyone hear of acholol increading pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suziieq, Feb 28, 2003.

1. suziieq

suziieq New Member

Well hope this doesn't sound to dumb. I am a med sensitive, and I rarly if ever drink acholol, however when on occasion I have I found it to increase my pain, rather than help at all.

Since I can't take pain meds and am very frustrated..lol
    I have tried even a couple of drinks to help....last time I tried it was last september, wow did I hurt....does anyone know why this happens?

Darn can't seem to do anything to help...lol

thanks
  2. karen55

karen55 New Member

that specifically, but it could be true, especially depending on if you drink beer or wine, as opposed to sweet drinks like daiquiries, etc. I just know that in the last few years since I've had all these FMS symptoms, drinking makes me feel sick, even just one drink, and usually while I am drinking it..
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

ROFL, Shazz!
  4. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

I think alcohol can be relaxing, especially a good cab or merlot, but I think alcohol dehidrates the system and sometimes the next day thats why you may have cotton mouth and can be really soar....I know some people who drink to get rid of some of that feeling is they drink water at the end of the night (or day :) and take some type of
    anti-inflamitory (sp) - I hear with FM you are not supposed to drink alcohol, I heard somewhere a while ago that it can make your pain worse, but I personally have to have a good glass of wine here and there........nothing like a good margarita too, but I make sure I don't have to much. I would just advise to drink in moderation and maybe follow with water.

Salute :)
  5. amilyne

amilyne New Member

hi suzzieq..i very rarley drink ..almost always i get an instant headache and feel like crap...even with only 1-2 drinks wether it be beer or other alcohol..im 22 and going "out" with friends makes this really irritating and no fun for me..although i guess in the end im better off not drinking.lol
    well good luck
    -ami
  6. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

interaction with meds?
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2003]
  7. ejay

ejay New Member

in my hey day my hubby and i loved to enjoy the social scene alot and with our jobs it was always one event or another so even after i became ill and left work we still had large social circle seemed every time i tried to drink esp beer since i had lost all desire to drink on meds i would end up at hospital and i was only having at most 2-3 beer come to find out i no longer was maintaining potassium and alcohol just depletes that even more if depleted enogh can cause heart attack but lord i hurt so now i just dont drink if i do on very rare occasion i make sure it is somthing that has oj like an oj and cherry brandy that doesnt seem to bother if i have one or two but never more
  8. suziieq

suziieq New Member

wow thanks for all the replies. Heck I hardly ever drink, but coming from someone who can't even take pain meds, you feel desperate sometimes...lol

Oh well......I will add it to the i can't do it list...lol

But thanks anyways....
  9. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Alcohol & tobacco are a couple of the worst insults we can do to our bodies. It's equal to dumping toxic waste right into out blood stream, only our bodies don't have enough janitors to clean the pool, LOL!!

Even one glass makes me feel aweful, I pay for it for days!
    (I would really like to have a glass of wine here and there but just can't tolerate the pain in my muscles the next day, along with the energy Zap)

Most of us get hypoglycemic easily...achohol is like licking the sugar bowl only worse!

That's my take on it anyway.
    Hope you can find something that works!
  10. Mom2Two

Mom2Two New Member

Unfortunately, when I don't have access to my pain meds I will order a drinkie poo or two (or three...). It helps, but not as nicely as the pain meds. It sure is fun. I make sure to take 2 tylenol and drink lots of water before going to bed and so far I have never had a hang over. No extra lingering pain the next day either. So far that is...
  11. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

well, i believe life is a series of trade offs: do i have fun and pay for it, or pass on the fun?...i do a little of both i guess, but i find that alcohol disturbs sleep(unless you get s**t faced and pass out LOL), and since i don't get much good sleep anyway, the last thing i want to do is make that problem worse!!...as far as the pain thing goes, i really don't know.
    peace,hugs,god bless, camelgirl
  12. nogilroy

nogilroy New Member

do i drink yes if there was a pian med that would help i would not .i am not impressed with my self but when the pian is really bad i have to . i drink beer now i am on magnesium , a vitamin and a herbel pill would also like to know if some one tryed coral calcium and it did nothing for them just made the pian worse i tryed it for a month going to stay of of it for a while also i do drink lots of water i hope to get more beer to day on less it snows to much
  13. tsj62301

tsj62301 New Member

I have noticed over the last year that my body aches extremely bad if I drink alcohol. I never related it to FMS. But reading this realize how the two are interacting.

Thank you!
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For medicinal purposes only :) Actually, it really helps me sleep. I'm careful because I also take Klonopin for sleep at night. I believe the antioxidants and blood-thinning properties are healthful for me.

Love, Mikie
  15. suziieq

suziieq New Member

Well this just goes to show, even though we all the same DD everything varies by person. However, I am glad I asked the question.....this whole thing is a learning process and sometimes thats all we have.

Suziieq
  16. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Suziieg - do you happen to have restless leg syndrome too? Just wondering because my neuro told me that alcohol can make it worse, both pain and anxiety. I can't remember what she said was the reason but I was so happy just to hear I wasn't nuts!! I've had this happen to me for years before I was dx with FM and never knew what caused it...now one glass of wine is like poison to me. Oh how I wish too I could relax with a nice glass of wine with dinner but it's a big no no for me...even near beer gives me pain shortly after drinking and the next day it's big flare time. My husband uses alcohol for medicinal purposes (I think a bit too much) but it seems to work for him - I make sure he eats lots of bananas and takes vitamins to replace those lost to the stuff.

I went for years only being able to take mild meds that didn't help because of sensitivities and adverse reactions until I discovered Neuronin and Klonopin. Have you tried either starting out at very low dosage and working up to get some relief? After 2 months of getting used to them they are finally helping to me.

Really hope you find something to help.
    Sending blessings & hugs!