Anyone hear of non paralytic polio?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by terr600, Jan 26, 2003.

1. terr600

terr600 New Member

Hi you guys. I'm 54 yrs. old and have been diagnosed with non paralytic polio. When I was 5 yrs. old, I had all the symptoms of polio, but my pediatrician told my parents the hospital wards were full of kids with full blown polio. They were told to massage all of my joints several times a day, to give me children's aspirin (pre Reys Syndrome), and to just stick to this regimene until my symptoms went away. When I turned around 38, I started with hip pain, gradually getting worse. My x-rays showed my right hip to be higher than my left by almost 3 inches. No wonder I couldn't rest my leg by standing on my right leg! Has ANYONE heard of or suffered with this? Thanks in advance. Terr
  2. Psmithlvn

Psmithlvn New Member

Hi Terri,
    Yes, I have heard of non paralytic polio. Alot of people back then had it and didn't even know they had it.
    I had polio when I was 7 yrs old. I got it from the vaccine and was in the hospital off and on for 3 yrs.
    Now, I have what they call Post Polio syndrome and have had to retire from nursing.
    I hope and pray that you will not have to go through PPS.
    But if I can be of any help, please just email me at Psmithlvn@aol.com and I can send you information on it.
    Take care and don't over do it to much, it's not good on the muscles.
    Pat in TX
  3. terr600

terr600 New Member

Hi Pat, I was beginning to REALLY think my GP needed a shrink! No one I've talked to has ever heard of this and I've only seen 1 or 2 articles on the web about it. My GP hadn't even heard of it, but he's very young~~mid 30s I'd guess. I'm not even quite sure of the symptoms of it! I have, besides my right hip severe pain, muscle & joint aches, I can't even call them pain. Just aches, except the hip, that's deffinately pain! Now started having trouble swallowing, though I'm not even sure that's a side effect! I've had migraines since I was 11. FINALLY my miracle drug came out~~~Imitrex (injections). I started on the injections when Imitrex first came out. Then I tried the pill form~~didn't work. Then the nasal spray~~works after an hour or so. I've been sticking with the injection, it works in 20 minutes! I'm just not sure the other symptoms are part of PPS or not. Thanks for replying, Terr
  4. sujay

sujay New Member

CFS-like epidemics used to follow along with polio epidemics, and many patients had a paralytic component to their symptoms. Dr. Byron Hyde edicted a book called The Clinical and Scientific Basis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which is an excellent (and quite hefty) resource if you want more information.