anyone heard of depakote? my neuro wants me on it...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Mar 7, 2006.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

has anyone here heard of or been on depakote?
    i've had another migraine cycle for a week now,
    and my neurologist pretty much hasn't been ANY help AT ALL since i started going to her.

she was going to put me on high blood pressure meds,
    when my doctors were wondering if i had LOW blood pressure.
    yeah, smart doctor.

anyways, she decided against the bp meds,
    and now wants to put me on depakote...
    but i'm scared to take it unless i really know what it is.
    she says its a migraine preventative,
    that'll probably stop this migraine.
    the prednisone she put me on didn't work.

anyone heard of it?
    i HATE trying new meds, i'm always scared of the side effects.

thank you =].
    -danielle
  2. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

i have taken inderal 80 mgs daily for aout 3-4 years...it is a blood pressure med( high or low-i dont know) i take it to prevent migraines...it works great for me...reduces the number of migraines for me....no side effects for me...
  3. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi danielle...I have had almost daily migraines for 5 years...have tried everything from acupuncture to meds, from biofeedback to self-hypnosis, and depakote, too. One neurologist gave up on me, so don't give up on yourself!!

Finally after 5 long years, I have gone 2 weeks without a headache...a true answer to prayer for me! I am taking Inderal, 60 mg. in the morning and 50 mg. Nortriptyline at night (an old AD). Keep looking...there should be a med combination or an alternative med avenue for you. A couple of my docs didn't give up, and I am so thankful!

I wish the same for you...blessings, Ann
  4. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I was on Depakote for 6 months until my hair started falling out. Out of all the potential side-effects and a 0.2% chance that the hair loss thing could even occur, it happened to me. Took me a year to grow it all back again!