Anyone heard of Pramipexole?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by matthewson, Sep 25, 2005.

1. matthewson

matthewson New Member

A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of pramipexole, a dopamine agonist, in patients with fibromyalgia receiving concomitant medications. Andrew J. Holman and Robin R. Myers.

OBJECTIVE: To assess the efficacy and safety of pramipexole, a dopamine 3 receptor agonist, in patients with fibromyalgia. METHODS: In this 14-week, single-center, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, escalating-dose trial, 60 patients with fibromyalgia were randomized 2:1 (pramipexole:placebo) to receive 4.5 mg of pramipexole or placebo orally every evening. The primary outcome was improvement in the pain score (10-cm visual analog scale [VAS}) at 14 weeks. Secondary outcome measures were the Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQ), the Multidimensional Health Assessment Questionnaire (MDHAQ), the pain improvement scale, the tender point score, the 17-question Hamilton Depression Inventory (HAM-d), and the Beck Anxiety Index (BAI). Patients with comorbidities and disability were not excluded. Stable dosages of concomitant medications, including analgesics, were allowed. RESULTS: Compared with the placebo group, patients receiving pramipexole experienced gradual and more significant improvement in measures of pain, fatigue, function, and global status. At 14 weeks, the VAS pain score decreased 36% in the pramipexole arm and 9% in the placebo arm (treatment difference –1.77 cm). Forty-two percent of patients receiving pramipexole and 14% of those receiving placebo achieved >50% decrease in pain. Secondary outcomes favoring pramipexole over placebo included the total FIQ score (treatment difference –9.57) and the percentages of improvement in function (22% versus 0%), fatigue (29% versus 7%), and global (38% versus 3%) scores on the MDHAQ. Compared with baseline, some outcomes showed a better trend for pramipexole treatment than for placebo, but failed to reach statistical significance, including improvement in the tender point score (51% versus 36%) and decreases in the MDHAQ psychiatric score (37% versus 28%), and BAI score (39% versus 27%), and the HAM-d score (29% versus 9%). No end points showed a better trend for the placebo arm. The most common adverse events associated with pramipexole were transient anxiety and weight loss. No patient withdrew from the study because of inefficacy or an adverse event related to pramipexole. CONCLUSION: In a subset of patients with fibromyalgia, ~50% of whom required narcotic analgesia and/or were disabled, treatment with pramipexole improved scores on assessments of pain, fatigue, function, and global status, and was safe and well-tolerated. nfra.net/OtherAbs.htm

Arth and Rheum, vol. 52, No. 8, Aug 2005, pp 2495-2505

This just came out in Aug. 2005. Has anyone heard of this medication or is there another name for it?

Thanks, Sally

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I get tremors quite often. When they become constant, and continue through the night, I will be sure to restart my Dl-Phenylalanine and Tyrosine. These also help the body to make Dopamine, and it stops my tremors. Wallahh!! I tell my few friends with Parkinsons and essential tremors to try this, but are afraid of the Amino Acids. They have no problem taking the Drugs. Go figure.

I also use the DL-Phenylalanine and Tyrosine for pain and have talked it up several times on these boards. Don't know that anyone has tried it. Pramipexole may likely do all it says it does.
  3. matthewson

matthewson New Member

4. florenceb

florenceb New Member

It is a drug used to treat Parkinson's Disease and Restless Leg Syndrome. It acts on the neurotransmitter dopamine.

It is also used for Tourette Syndrome and hyperprolactinemia.

There are a few studies that show antidepressant properties.

It can cause insomnia, fatigue, and nausea.

If you do a search on dopamine agonists or Parkinson's disease meds on Google you will find out more about it.
    Florence
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2005]
  5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I thought it must have another name! I had not heard of this name, but I have heard of mirapex. Thanks for the info.

Take care, Sally