Anyone heard of Ribose?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by edithe, Nov 13, 2005.

1. edithe

edithe New Member

My rheumy told me that this is something that many arthritis and fibro dr. are talking about. He says to take 5 mg.per day. Wonderful except he couldn't tell me where I could find it. He is a great dr. and has a lot of patieces with fibro. (edited to remove email address per rules)
    Bless you all
    edithe
  2. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

Just type "ribose" into your search engine and you'll get a bunch of hits and places to buy it. I took a quick look at a few of the websites that came up and it appears that you can get ribose in a powder or liquid form. One site recommended a daily dosage of 5 grams, approximately one teaspoon, of the powdered form. Perhaps that's what your doctor meant?

Also, one website included this information:

Fibromyalgia and Muscle Health
    Researchers now believe that muscle and energy challenges may be a result of a deficiency of substances needed for the production of ATP. In addition, many times these individuals have low-oxygen conditions in their muscles. Ribose can be of substantial benefit in the production of ATP and related compounds in low-oxygen conditions. It has even been awarded a patent for the treatment of fibromyalgia.

I don't know a thing about ribose other than what I found in my quick search, so please don't take this as an endorsement! Hopefully someone will reply who has personal experience with ribose.

Good luck!

Kat

[This Message was Edited on 11/13/2005]
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Ribose is part of Dr Teitelbaum's protocol. There is information on his web site. It is available in the Pro Health store.

Kathy.
  4. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

More energy possibly. Not sure, it could have been the anti-yeast diet.