Anyone heard that fibro causes loss of oxygen to brain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Nov 29, 2006.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

That's what the Fibromyalgia Take Charge book, published by the Arthritis Foundation, says. It states that fibromyalgia can cause loss of oxygen to parts of the brain, which explains the fog and memory lapses.

Sometimes, especially when I'm having a CFS flare, it feels as if I cannot remember a thing for a few seconds, like my mind blanks out. I was really getting worried, due to running red lights, and going to the wrong apartment (in a different building). Then I read that in the book, so I at least know what is happening.

For those that this is old news to, I apologize. But it was rather shocking to me. I had never thought of it that way.
  2. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hello SweetT!

I have COPD (which means the oxygen I inhale isn't getting to my bloodstream)so I experience bouts of mental confusion in a big way.

Recently, I read that people who do not get enough oxygen to the brain usually have the biggest problems with morphine-induced hallucinations during hospitalization.

Following my last three operations, my husband has had to request that my morphine be changed to another pain-killer because of the vivid (and frightening) hallucinations I experienced.

This problem side-effect with morphine may or may not hold true for most folks with CFIDS-FMS, but it sure turned me off opiates. YIKES!

Be well,

Janice
  3. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hi, SweetT,

I had a sleep study done and in a nutshell they provided me with a cpap machine. But I'm not getting enough air. The machine at the sleep study was a bipap, and it was wonderful.

The RT was here today and had been noticing my breathing. He took a test and was surprised that my oxygen levels were down in the 80's and my pulse was 125. I know nothing about COPD, but I need further help.

Please, can you tell me where to start? I wake up to headaches every morning and periodically during the day and night. My PCP is no help. Says everything is probably just my FM or CFS. I'm desperate.

Prayers with you,
    ~~~Lew

4. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

My family was used to me remembering everything. Today for instance I had to get three teenagers up at 7:00, take one to the bus at 7:45, come back and get the other 2 to take an hour away for eye doctor appts. I had to take a shower (early in the morning..oh that stinks!)do something with my hair, a dab of makeup. Put gas in the van. And my husband calls me and asks me where I am, I ask why, he says I am at work and I was going to give you some more gas money.

I had completely forgot he had went to work, I was waiting for him to come home!

Driving back home I told my son I wished he had his drivers license because he would have been driving. Both kids noticed my last 20 minutes of driving was not normal. The only way I can describe it is earlier it was smooth, the last 20 minutes were uneven. It was like I was driving, but my coordination or perception was off. I had not had any meds since 7am and this was noon! And by then my lower back and shoulder blades were killing me!

Are the two connected with the loss of oxygen? Could be!
    All I know is the fibro fog can be very dangerous and inconvienent.

Thank you for the info sweetT it was very enlightening.

Tack care and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie