anyone here eat alot of sweets?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by homesheba, Jul 18, 2008.

1. homesheba

homesheba New Member

it is dawning on me that i almost 'crave'? or love sweets. any time of day or night
    i can eat some cake oe ice cream or candy and
    i am 53 years old.
    i mean not that age i suppose would have anything to do with it
    but i am now also being tested for hypothyroidism
    and diabetes.
    .. anyone else a 'sweet tooth'?
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Crave sweets???? Sometimes I'd maime for them. But I've learned that they are one of the worst things I can eat. Not only do they encourage Candida, but the instant energy they give us, which is why I think we crave them, quickly drops us on our nose. Better to grab a small handful of raw nuts or some crunchy veggies. Even fruit needs to be consumed in moderation by most of us.

You don't say if you have CFS or FM - or both - but this is true for both illnesses.

I use Stevia for sweetening whatever I think needs sweetening which is far less than I used to think. The other sugar substitutes have had their own bad report.

The less sugar you eat, the less you will crave - but it's not easy! Good luck!

3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I try SO hard not to eat sweets but I do - my body absolutely craves sugar.

I ate so many sweets yesterday and last night that I literally felt sick - how pathetic is that. I dont seem to have any control over it.

They do say that if you are ALLERGIC to something, then your body will crave it.

I get tested for diabetes yearly and its negative so far.

FOYBOYFOY New Member

my nutritionalist/herbalist/holistic man told me this:

5. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

I got so badly hooked on Cola -- primarily for the instant-pick-me-up from the sugar and the caffeine, I think -- without really realizing how bad it was getting until I saw I was up to 6 cans a day!

And it was so hard to quit. I did finally manage to give up the Cola and find even a sip is too sweet for me now. Unfortunately, I've replaced that craving with wanting chocolate now. And that's no easier to quit.

(I'm not wanting to know what the next sugar-craving will be if I succeed in giving up the chocolate....Maybe ice cream or something.)

Best wishes,
  6. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Everybody's different but I find that if I realllllly want sugar, what my body really needs is protein.

So I try to keep already-cooked chicken in the fridge. Grab a piece, wrap it in a very damp paper towel, microwave it for a minute (I'd heat it in a skillet but that takes too long and gives me time to reach for the chocolate), haul it out and chomp away.
    Good-bye sugar craves.

And if you simply MUST have a little bit of chocolate please make it the dark kind. The antioxidant is good for us.

The poster (whose name I've already brainfaded and I'm sorry) who said that we should cut back on fruit is very right. The stuff's pure, or almost pure, sugar.
    That part kills me because I love fruit. Weirdly enough, if I do eat fruit my temp goes up like a rocket. Go figure.

The sugar substitutes don't agree with a lot of people I know; one thing I found out the hard way is that some stuff called Sorbitol can make a person stay within fast reach of a bathroom.
    Lost 3 pounds over-night.

7. OH YES! I love candy. Do you REALLY feel better if u kick the habit?
  8. skyoncloud9

skyoncloud9 New Member

Well, I have done the eat anything I want diet...felt bad.

I have done the low sugar, no wheat diet and felt much better.

Now I do the some sugar and wheat thing and I feel okay, but not as good as I would like.

I just switched from Synthroid to Armour Thyroid and have had had my cravings decrease so much. When I was doing the Synthroid things I would wake up and my first thought would be what can I eat that's sweet. Didn't talk to anyone about how bad the cravings are, since I thought they would not understand.

I hope to eat even less, but hard to do.

Good luck, and know you are not alone in having cravings.
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

There are times that I certainly want something sweet. Im not much of a cookie eater, but put a powdered sugar donut in front of me and well...
    Also - I could probably eat an entire pan of brownies (with vanilla frosting) by myself in a day with no problem.

I'm known not to leave any "corners" in any thing in a pan. LOL

It's funny though because I can also give them up fairly easily. If I really need something, I'll eat a little sugar free jello with lite cool whip - it's a great snack.
    Sugar free pudding works too!
  10. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

i haven't had much of an appetite but still crave sweets! been reading about the chromiun -mispelled. how much does it take to stop the cravings? i have never been a late night snacker and that is now my hardest time, and i want sweets!
  11. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I know that craving sugar/sweets only causes more pain for me. But I have tried to stop eating sweets but it is not working. I have to limit the amount I eat but it is so hard. You would like that my hubby having diebetes would help me to not want sweets as he is not to eat them but he buys me the frozen icecream snickers bars and I can't resist them. He eats them too not often but every once in a while. I had some on hand for my daughter and grandkids when she was here for christmas and since then I want some thing sweet every day. I guess I am going to have to try some thing to help curb my sweets craving.

I had my gall bladder out a couple of years ago and before my gall bladder attack I drank diet coke constantly. I know that I must have gone thru 64oz + in a day. It was bad. And I felt lousy from drinking it. After my surgery I as not to drink any thing that was fizzy so it was months before it dawns on me that I had not had a diet coke in over three months so I tried one and it tasted nasty , I could not drink it all. When I had a diet coke it was my sweets I didn't want any thing else sweet then . Now I don't drink any soda at all and I crave sweets. I am the one that will have to change what I eat and how I eat. I know that now.
    Thanks for this post.
  12. homesheba

homesheba New Member

this is scary and i am bad with will power also.
    but i see that i absolutly have to stop.
    thanks everyone.
    have to go and throw stuff out,
    i love fruit also... sigh.
  13. hi all,

i can eat humbugs,but i have to stick to the same brand,as they argree with me.

but i had to totally cut out all sweets,and in doing so i believe ive cut out the major players in causing my migraines with vomiting.

the sweets were full of E numbers (artificial colours and preservatives).

i found that my migraines were very much linked to those things.and the irritable bowel syndrome too.

i cant eat real cream cakes,so havent done that for years now.

and this past month ive stopped cows milk,and gone onto soya milk.

my asthma isnt so bad now,unless i come into contact with deasal fumes,certain perfumes and chemicals.

take care all,love fran
  14. F Fran! What are humbugs? Are they chocolate covered ants! LOL!
  15. les80

les80 New Member

i also have expierienced an increase of sweets cravings. i think mine is realated to starting meds. I do think the more you eat of them the more you want. I try to leave them alone but it is HARD! i do know that personally, i feel sooooo much better when i dont eat them, less bloating, less fatigue...(i have fibro). I also am hypoglycemic and that really messes w/ my sugar levels.
  16. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Especially ice cream. There are times when I want cake so bad, that I actually bake one from scratch and lick the bowl and the beaters like a 5 year old. Been known to buy a few candy bars when the boyfriend isn't looking and hide them to eat when I'm alone.

It's almost like a frenzy.

I have also been having a yeast problem, which makes it worse.

Sue in Ontario

17. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

I am currently stuffing a cupcake in my mouth.
    I prob have candida too.
  18. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I am 43 and have craved sweets since I was a teenager. I went to the grocery store today to pick up some healthful salad items to take for my lunch, I was feeling particularly fatigued, so I took my time and just strolled around the store.

I can NOT BELIEVE how many sweet things one can buy in the stores, LOL. I tried DESPERATELY not to pick up some cookies, cake, candy, packaged doughnuts, muffins. I know exactly how you feel. It was such a struggle I coudln't belive it.

Now here is the kicker, everyone always says when you can control yourself and NOT pick up this items, you will feel so much better? NOT, doesn't happen. When I got home, I was angry with myself that I didn't pick up at least one chocolate chip muffin, because I craved it so much.

I mentioned my sweet craving to my doctor and she suggested it could be Candida related. My thyroid was checked and it came back okay. My glucose levels are okay too, so, it's a mystery as to why I crave sweets so much.

I did pick up some Bazooka gum the other day which only has 3 grams of sugar and 15 calories a piece. I'm hoping when I chew it my sweet cravings will be under control. I haven't chewed a piece yet..............we shall see. Hugs Chelz.
  19. homesheba

homesheba New Member

when i went to store and didnt come back with some chocolate at least!!!
    no way- did i feel better either!!!
    it is like a addiction for real.
    if i had a cake with iceing on it in front of me
    right now-
    and it is 4: am here as i post this-
    i would eat the iceing....
  20. Lillie17

Lillie17 New Member

I love sweets and would give me eye-teeth for a frappucino or cup of hot chocolate right now, but... my pain really increases with the sweets so I mostly do not eat them (or drink them).