Anyone here from Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Saoirse3, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

My husband and I are thinking o relocating, because the medical treatment here is limited and very back woods. My medical problems are getting worse and my liver doc recommends that I go "outside" to the lower 48 to get treated. Plus I am missing my kids and grandchildren so much. So it appears we may be moving to Atlanta. Any good docs to recommended? Is there a support group? I really want things to go sa smooth as possible. Any tips would sure help!

Thanks so much!

2. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Hi. I have had CFS and Fibro for 15 years.

The Atlanta area is very big. The whole metro area encompasses many towns, diverse areas, etc. When you asked about moving to Atlanta could you be more specific? Moving to downtown Atlanta is a lot different than moving to the outskirts or the "burbs" in the smaller towns surrounding Atlanta.

As for medical treatment here I think it's like everywhere else.....some good doctors, some good facilities and some doctors not as helpful. I live in Kennesaw which is about 25 miles to the northwest of Atlanta and I have always been able to get whatever medical help I needed either at a private practice or hospital. After a point with this disease there's not a whole lot you can do other than try to maintain an even keel through the way you eat, live, take some supplements and something for pain or discomfort and treat infections as they pop up from time to time and have a doctor you can go to for regular monitoring and tests. I've never had a problem being seen by someone competent and I have learned a lot by reading and trial and error .

As for the climate here I'd say most of the year between moderate weather and the use of AC you can stay quite comfortable. I'm from New England originally and when I recently visited Massachusetts I found the cold made me ache and hurt more than I do here.

Hope this helps some.

3. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

College Park is the area we are looking in and around. I have been to Atlanta several times, mostly around Marietta, Decatur, Macon (THAT was fun with Michigan tags on the car! LOL!). We leave tomorrow for a week in Atlanta and I am going to go everywhere around the area. Driving on dry pavement again - hooray! Navigating the Interstate again - oh, boy! When we went to NC for vacation, the rental car had Georgia tags. This one pickup made it a point to cut us off at the gas station, then yelled something rude about us "damn Georgians!" I jumped out of the car, flashed my "Alaska Grown" sweatshirt and yelled back "I'm an Alaskan and it's a rental! He looked at me and said "You're an ALASKAN?" I guess people think our entire wardrobe is our parka and mukluks! I was out in a snowstorm yesterday in my jeans, sneakers and jean jacket. Guess I'll have to get used to it being "summer" year round! LOL!
  4. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

.............stupidity knows no geographical boundaries. The only real way to learn about a place is to live there and unfortunately, not everyone moves around and experiences different places to the extent that might be educational. Also, most of us live with a lot of preconceived notions about places that don't always pan out to be true. Stereotyping can be dangerous. Good luck in your travels and a word to the this day and age being low key and inconspicuous has it's advantages. There are a lot of nut cases out there and people with our illnesses don't need the stress of confrontations with idiots.