Anyone here get CFS befoe 1984?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by damz68, Jun 27, 2006.

1. damz68

damz68 New Member

Just curious if cfs exsisted before 1984.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

but no if you mean by diagnosis.

I had mono for a year along with hepatitis and meningitis in 1970-71 and was never the same after. Coincidentally I had a tick attach itself to me for who knows how long (I'd gone camping and didn't know til I got back home and saw it on my back in a mirror).

While following a hypoglycemic diet by 1977 and a candida diet and thyroid med by 1980 helped a lot, I still found that any prolonged stress (no matter how positive) ultimately did me in physically and mentally.

Mine was fairly low-key, just there enough to interfere with my ife but yet not appear 'ill' enough that there would be obviously an illness... hence, after testing me for thyroid and anemia, the MDs would always try to send me to a psychiatrist.

I never went cuz I was happy with my life but unhappy with lack of energy and lethargy just when I needed energy the most. The worst of it has been the past 4-5 years, slowly drifted down the prior 5 years.

There was an outbreak of similar symptoms in Florida in the 1950s -- similar to the Incline Village 'flu', as documented in the film "I Remember Me". I think they've found references even earlier to symptoms that sound the same but have been called various names... I think 'neuroasthenia' was one of them.

all the best,
    Victoria

Victoria
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2006]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

in 1979. I was writing a book. The writing was no problem, but when I got home from work, I was too tired to type the manuscrpt. Had to hire a typist.

But even before that I was depressed. Been disabled w/ CFS about 26 years now.
  4. Daisys

Daisys Member

I got terribly sick one day in July 1978, that turned into a horrible flu that stayed for years. I think my first diagnosis came in the late 80's.
    The achy muscles came later, and the dx of FM was made in the 90's.
    One doctor told me it has always been around. People used to have a spinster aunt living with them who stayed in her room a lot. That's how it was managed in times past.