Anyone here had gallstones and surgery?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by renjanson, Mar 8, 2007.

1. renjanson

renjanson New Member

Had a bad pain in my upper abdomen a few weeks ago. Went to urgent care, but they were no help.

Went to gastro doc and he did a pipida scan and a stomach ultra sound. Seems my gallbladder is not working properly and I have gallstones.

Went to surgeon yesterday but he wants a MRCP done first to see if there are any gallstones in the bile duct. And if there are, he wants to do an ERCP.

Anyone had these tests before?
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Sorry but I don't recognize those initials. I did have an ultra sound and a test called a hydascan. I did also have a MRI to look for stones in the bile duct.
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

An MRI finally showed the little bugger (stone) in my duct. Got my gall bladder sucked out (lariscopic) and I walked in and out in about 4 hours. I had a gorgeous surgeon (sexy blue eyes) and a handsome hunk of an anesthesiologist ... and that was the happiest I had ever been in a hospital ;-) . I told them both how cute they were too when I was getting loopy from the anesthesia. I guess I am a dirty old lady but at least I can still appreciate a good lookin man ;-)
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I don't know about you but why don't they just take your gallbladder out? If you have stones, there will always be the risk a stone can move to a bile duct and cause a life threatening situation.

I would rather have the surgery when I was not in a emergency situation. I had my gallbladder removed on 11/5/06 and did fine. They did laparoscopy surgery and I stayed in the hospital for 3 days because I am a baby about pain.

Once they discovered the stones, they did not suggest all the additional tests. I had been sick for a couple of years with indigestion, etc.

With stones it is like sitting on a time bomb that could explode at any time. Anyway, that is what my surgeon said.

I have read many people go years with stones and don't have a problem - I just did not want to take the risk.

Maybe because of your symptoms they want to see if a stone is in the duct already??

[This Message was Edited on 03/09/2007]
  5. HeartsinOhio

HeartsinOhio New Member

I had them and I also had my gallbladder out. Don't wait for an attack. I tell you the pain is worse than childbirth. Thought I would die from pain and wished I would. It is horrible. Get that darn thing out. You are fine without it. Gallbladder attacks are not fun. Pattie
  6. renjanson

renjanson New Member

I just went this morning for the MRSP which is the MRI of the common bile duct, etc. He says if there is a stone out there anywhere, he could take the gallbladder out and I would still have a problem.

I want it out right now too. But he won't do the surgery until I get this test and he wants a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy.

I get the test results on Monday for MRI, but I can't get the other tests until Tuesday. I can't figure that out.

I think I will call him back and ask some more questions.

I had another attack early Thursday morning, which make 3.

7. Shalala

Shalala New Member

overlooked the "signs" of a bad gall bladder and could have died. He had to have the WIDE OPEN surgery and was in the hospital about 2 weeks draining the poison out of him. I inherited gall bladder disease from both sides of my family (maternal grandmother died from ruptured gb). I kept telling these DRs that it was my gb but they do not like to BE TOLD what is wrong ...

I am not familiar with those terms (acronyms). My stone was in the duct and my wonderful surgeon said he could just remove the stone (but more would come) or suck out the gb.
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

About 14 years ago...Emergency surgery because I put it off too long. Laperscopic.. scars are so tiny they could be a tiny pencil line.
    I was home the same day and back to work in a factory within a few weeks!

I don't know the purpose of the tests. They found mine with an ultrasound. I put off the surgery for 4 months as my Mom had cancer at the time. Eventually if you have stones, it's gonna have to come out. It was a relief to be out of pain!

Good luck!
    Dona
  9. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

Yes, I had gallstone surgery about 10 years ago. Constantly had horrible pain in my stomach below right rib.
    Tests showed I had 24 gallstones. Surgery was performed. They cut me at a slant over the liver. Recovery hurt like hell and I was in the hospital for two weeks. They had to give me morphine and stadol to control the pain after surgery. Morphine alone - just wouldn't cut it. But remember that was 10 years ago and now they do a less invasive procedure and thus - less pain after surgery. By the way - I got to keep my gallstones. They put them in a sealed tight jar in formeldehyde. They looked just like milk duds.
  10. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I had my gallbladder out about 5 weeks ago and I am so glad I did. I feel so much better then I have in years. MY ultrasound looked normal but my hidascan was abnormal. I did not have stones but lots of inflamation and an overactive gallbladder.

I am so glad the pain in my side and stabbing pain in my back are gone. I also had dizziness and nausea all the time even drinking water towards the end. I had to wait a miserable year before they finally figured out what was wrong. Get it out. Its a fairly simple surgery and I really only felt bad the first day or two. After that I felt pretty good and have had a fast recovery.

Good luck with it.