Anyone here have handicapped stickers on their cars?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelby319, Aug 4, 2006.

1. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

Good afternoon to all~~

I had this discussion this morning with my husband about getting a handicapped sticker for my car and he thought I was insane and also would make him look bad if he were to use my car!! I'm assuming he thought it was a disgrace to have a sticker if you don't really look sick, or aren't having trouble walking, and people would ask you if you really were handicapped!!!!

I told him how stupid that sounded, seeing people with FM don't always look sick, or use a cane or a wheelchair for instance. I get asked all the time if I am handicapped, like when I use the bathroom stall for the disabled or the check out lane at the grocery store. So what's the big deal as I said to him!!! He still thinks its embarrassing, to say the least!!

I have to get a new registration at the end of this month, so I'm entitled to a new plate that would come with the handicapped wheelchair on the plate itself, that is if my Dr. approves it. My husband told me not to get the plate with it on there, but to just get the little ticket thing you hang up in the car rear window, so he can take it off anytime he uses my car!!!

Can we get ANYMORE insensitive than that, or is it me? I know it can't possibly be me!!!!LOL!!!

I just thought this was interesting, and I also wanted to know if any of you do have these stickers that your Dr's have given you premission to have??/!!!

Thank's for any input you can give me, and if any of you do have these handicapped stickers and how hard it is to get?/!!
    Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  2. jjdg

jjdg New Member

i have a plaque(sp) that way i can use it in anyones car if i need someone to drive me,i got the doctor to fill out the form from the state,if i'm having a good day i don't use it,but i have when i need it.janet
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i am 36 and i have one i went to the town got an application had my dr fill it out took it back that was it. i only use it if there is not a close parking space i think people are looking at me and judging. good luck charlene
  4. roadkill

roadkill New Member

I live in Quebec.

Although my doctor filled out the form saying I lacked stamina walking up hills and short distances, I was still refused. It was frustrating after spending $30 for the doctor fees.

To add insult to injury they now want me to get my doctor to fill out another form saying that I am capable of driving or they will suspend my driver's license. Another $30.
    I wouldn't have been able to leave the house this winter if it weren't for my car. I didn't have the stamina to walk distances through the snow.

I'm furious. I can't believe the injustice of it.
  5. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i have it on my plates and i have a placard for hubbys truck and they also gave me another placard for who ever i am in the car with. the placards were $8 for one or $12 for 2 so i got 2 so when i am with my daughter or anyone else i do not have to worry about taking the one out of hubbys truck.
    i only use it when i have to which seems to be alot lately. any extra steps i can save helps. hope your hubby understands. i'm sure he would if HE was in alot of pain and had to walk!
    glenda
  6. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

So where do you go to get a form for your dr?

How does this work? I'm going to the dr soon.

thanks
    rain
  7. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

First let me say that is some name you have!!!LOL!!!
    That story just made me scream with all the injustice you have gone through also!! But is it just your state or what? I'm so sorry this happened to you!!! Maybe if your Dr. put something different down for the reason's for having a handicapped sticker might have helped? Is that all he put? And why now would they want to make sure you can drive if they denied you the right to a sticker in the first place, if they thought you didn't need it? It makes no sense at all!!!

Maybe your Dr. can put down something different or make it sound better where you really do need it? That would be helpful, wouldn't it?

I wish you all the best my friend!! I'll be thinking of you while I'm doing it, and making sure he words it right so it doesn't happen to me also!!!

I swear...what we have to go through just to get what we so need!! Its just so unfair!!!!!!!
    Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  8. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

I've got a tag you hang in the car, but I'm thinking about gettting the plate. I've got out of my car a few times, and forgot to hang the tag. I'm lucky my car never got towed away. With my memory, the plate would be the best option,

If you memory is as bad as mine, maybe your hubby would prefer you have a plate rather than paying to get your car back.

Barb
  9. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Yes I have a handicapp tag for my car. I keep it hanging on the rear view mirror 24/7. However, I do not always use a handicapp spot. Only on the days when walking seems like an imposibility. I do use it at work though as there are sufficient spaces for everyone of us.

My husband is also getting one for himself as he has difficulty walking himself.
  10. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

Hi Rain all you have to do is go to the drivers license place and get a form then take it to your dr. have him fill it out and then return it to the drivers license place.

if you do not want it on your plates you can get a placard that hangs from your mirror so you can remove it when you need to. it isn't free though different states charge different amounts. but it is worth it. good luck. let me know if it works.

you can call your dr. to see if he will fill out you form before you go to the trouble to get it if he is a dr. that doesn't mind your calls.

glenda
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

as I cannot walk very long.We paid the usual registration price and got both with it free(of course with a doctors notice)I live in Caalifornia.Linda
  12. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I have had one for a few years and I don't even worry about what people think anymore, but it is bad when it is your hubby.

When i first got it I would hang it up and get out and look around to see if anyone was looking at me, I guess I was paranoid.

Now I don't even look around I just hang it up and get out and go in the store people can stare all they want but they will get no feedback from me because I don't care what they think.

I would just get the placard because it works just as well.

Pamela
  13. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I am not ashamed of it. When I am not in the vehicle, my husband does not use it.

I am handicapped. The other day, I was in my vehicle checking my list before I got out and got my scooter out of the back of the van and a woman pulled up in a HUMMER, and jumped out, after parking in a handicapped slot, with a sticker, IN HER DARNED TENNIS OUTFIT. I WANTED TO KICK HER BUTT.
  14. joyce38

joyce38 New Member

I have had the license plate for 6 years and i say if anyone is ashamed of my tags and to be riding with me because i look to good to be disabled dont ride
  15. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Your husband sounds like my mother.

She was always concerned about appearances rather than about the realities of the situation.
  16. ytneluk

ytneluk New Member

What form?http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=818&Q=245036&dmvPNavCtr=|#28116
    thank you

17. jake123

jake123 New Member

I have one but I try not to use it. It is most useful when it is 105 degrees outside and I would have to park a half a mile away otherwise. I don't park in van accessible slots.
    Mine is good until Feb, 2007. My present doctor probably will not redo it because he is a 'pollyanna'. He believes in CF but any of my symptoms are things that don't really matter and do not require pain pills, just walking every day.
    Arrrrrgggggggggg.
  18. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Jake: That stinks. How about getting a new doctor?

Shelby: I've got a red, year-long, temporary handicapped placard that I hang from the rearview mirror. It's been almost a year, and my doctor is going to request a permanent sticker. I need a wheelchair to go from the car to the inside of any building, though I can walk very short distances (around 30 feet).

Kholmes
  19. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Shelby,

Does your husband want to make like more difficult for you. Isn't it a husband's role to protect his wife?

I have a handicap plate on my car and a handicap sticker for my husband's car. I only park in a handicap space when I am not feeling well and the only available spots are too far for me to walk. My husband does not use a handicap space unless I am in the car with him.

When you have a chronic illness it is important to not worry about what other people might think. That is their problem, not yours and you cannot control what other people think. Shame on your husband for being more concerned about what strangers think than how his wife feels.

Since he won't support you in this, you might have to do what you need to do to make life more comfortable for you.

Lolalee
  20. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I have license plates on both cars, then carry the placard in my purse in case I ride with someone else.

Several years ago I asked my doctor what it takes to get one and he said "oh, I haven't given you one?". He gave me a prescription I took it to the DMV filed out the form and got it.

I don't go shopping much but really need it if I do.

I have told spouse and son that if they ever park in a handicapped when I am not in the car and I get it taken away they will have to take me anywhere, anytime I want to go and drop me off at the door!

Think about this we don't LOOK sick but does someone that has had say a heart attack?

I was uncomfortable at first but got over it quickly when I found out how much it helped. So far noone has ever made a comment. I'll probably stutter if they do, LOL!

Oh at the time I got it my doctor said short term or permanent and I said we'll I've had problems walking very far for 10 years so he went with permanent.

Hope you get one, it's such a blessing,
    Susan