Anyone Here Have Pancreatitis??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Leenerbups, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

Hi All,

I went into the hospial last week with this problem. First time ever. I don't drink and never had a problem before. Pain in my upper left side for a week and I finally went into the ER were they emitted me.

They put me on fluids only for 2 days and did an endoscopy, a CAT scan and Xrays.

The hospital's gastro doctor said he thinks it was stomach acid from my GERD causing it. They sent me home.

But they sent me home with no real answers as to what the problem was and why, and no information about after care.

Now today, I can feel that pain coming back again and I am scared. I don't know what to do for myself.
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I've heard it's very painful! Probably better call your doc...I hope someone else here knows more than I.

Just know I'm thinking about you! Get better...don't take chances.

Sue
  3. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I appreciate your kind concern.

I am reading up as much as I can, and they say it is usually caused by one of four things:
    Alcoholism
    gallstone in bile duct
    food allergies
    family history

I am peering very closely at the food allergy thing.

ANyone know who I go to to get myself tested for food allergies? What kind of doctor?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2005]
  4. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I also just read a bad candida overgrowth can mimick what alcohol does to the pancreas too.

Geez.
  5. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I had the SAME EXACT situation 2 years ago! I had horrible pain in my upper left side. It went on for a few weeks. Finally I was admitted to the hospital. They did all the tests and they all came back negative.

The doctors there were stupid. Eventually I went to a new gastroenterologist. He said I might have passed a gallstone.

You need to find the best gastro doctor you can find. Ask friends, your family doctor, etc. It sounds like pancreatitis. I think I still have a mild form of it. When I eat too much I get the pain.

Find a new doctor right away!!!!

Love,
    BxGirl
  6. chazzsmom99

chazzsmom99 New Member

I had a friend once who would have pancreaitis attacks every time her tryglycerides(sp?) went up. High tryglicerides can be a precursor to diabetes--Have your dr. check those when you get your cholestoral checked.

Smiles,

Peggi
  7. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I'm so thankful for your replies. It makes me feel less alone in this.

I have an appointment Monday afternoon at a gastro doctor.I'm just hoping it does'nt get worse before then.I'm hoping it gets better! What I don't understand is why they did'nt do more tests on me at the hospital.

When you ladies had this, were you pale and tired?

Coincedently or not, this started around the same time I started taking iron pills. I wonder if there is a link?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2005]
  8. virgo_karen

virgo_karen New Member

Please do more research on this. Now I don't want to scare you, all I am trying to do is to let you know how important it is to be checked completely.

My boyfriend and few years ago had the same problems. He was so sick and every time he ate, he got sick. He was also having bowels problems, so he was checked out in his colon and stuff.

Well, as quickly it came it also went away very quickly. He was sick for about a month, then it was gone.

Then about a year and half ago, it started back up. They did check out his stomach this time because he was turning yellow and then he had tests done.

He ended up having pancreatic cancer. It's too bad they didn't check out his stomach the first time he got sick because they would have found a tumor. All this time the tumor was growing, it is a slow growing one.

Well to make a long story short, he went through chemo, radiation and then surgery. He passed away 6 mos later.

Like I said before, I don't want to scare you, but please make sure you find a good doctor and have your stomach check out, demand it, it may save your life.

I wish you the best and sure hope everything turns out okay for you. Please keep us posted. I will be praying for you.

Karen
  9. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I am ssooo sorry about your boyfriend. The poor thing. :-(

We think we are doing all we can by going toour hospitals and trust our doctors do all they can for us, but it is'nt always the case, is it.

They did do an endoscopy and took a look into my stomach while in the hospital and found nothing, so they say...
  10. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I was pretty sick when this happened to me. I was vomiting a lot and had terrible pain. My white blood count went up to 23,000. That's why the doctor put me in the hospital.

I ate too much tonight and I'm in pain again. It is below my left breast and goes all the way around to my back. I suppose I should have another endoscopy but I don't have time right now. I have to have a sleep study in a few weeks.

Anyway, you make sure this doctor is okay and tell him you want to know WHY this is happening to you!

BxGirl
  11. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Gallbaldder disease I've heard of but GERD? That's a new one on me.

I have a friend who was and is a health nut. they only eat organic food, juice, eat minimal meat, and don't drink. Served as missionaries.

However, she took all kinds of supplements, and she became deathly ill with pancreatitis. Lost 35 pounds and couldn't eat for weeks, became jaundiced.

Finally, I demanded that they do some testing and they found some toxin, but I cannot remember what it was, in evidence and the docs, she and I came to the conclusion that she had taken something with a toxic contaminant.

By the time she realized it, she had probably exhausted the supply.

That is why I am so afraid of all the supplements we take, because many of them could have some BAD stuff in them, and since they aren't pharmaceuticals, they don't have to meet any sort of manufacturing assurances.
  12. momerath42

momerath42 New Member

I have a cousin with this. He has been hospitalized several times (the shortest stay was 3 weeks, the longest about 3 months). For a few months after the initial stay he had to recieve food from a pick-line in his arm attached to food bags. He even had a surgery that was supposed to "correct" the problem, but it did not. He is on a strict very low-fat diet. If he eats too much fat he will get very sick and be in the hospital again!

I wish I knew more details but all of this happened a few years ago and I can't remember specifics other than his diet. He is not an alcoholic, no known food allergies, no one in our family has ever had it, so basically the doctors didn't know why. Or even how.

Best of luck to you.
  13. momerath42

momerath42 New Member

I forgot to discuss this in my previous post. I have food allergies: tomato, pineapple, soy, and peanuts. I had skin tests done along with regular allergy testing, but I also had some kind of bloodwork done. You should ask your doctor about being tested- the food allergies are definately linked with my FMS.
  14. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Hi Leener!
    I certainly hope your doctor is taking all this seriously as he should be. I am diabetic and was just checked and found my triglycerides are still too high, even with cholesterol meds. And I am sick as a junk yard dog right now too.

How long has it been since you have had your cholesterol and an HBA1C test done? Diabetes, as you know, can really put the pancreas through the wringer. You did say the pain is in the upper left quad and not the right, didn't you? Best to you and prayers that you feel better very soon!
  15. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I am very interested in hearing what you find out. My daughter is going through the same thing right now. She is 23. She has had the pain on and off for years now. No one can seem to find out what it is exactly.

Her doctor at IU Medical Hospital, has finally narrowed her pain down to her pancreas. She has a prescription for bloodwork that she is to take in the next time her pain comes back. She is to wait 12 hours, I believe, after the onset of her pain and then go have her blood drawn.

She has lost 50 lbs. and has had all kinds of tests done on her. All of her tests have come back normal except her small intestine, it showed that her lacteals were dialated.

She also has a lot of fatigue. As a matter of fact, she has an appointment to see if she has chronic fatigue.

Your pain sounds a lot like hers..... so don't give up. You have to keep trying to find out what it is. I belive you will eventually get to the root of the problem as I belive she will too.
    Jo
  16. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

SO many here with no answers! Just like me.

I could feel it in my sleep last night, and I am afraid to eat.

I have high cholestral (good and bad) around 250 at last check.

I have read horror stories on the internet about this, what can happen if it keeps going on. It's frightening.
    Thank you all for your replies, the support is comforting.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/12/2005]