Anyone Here Knowdedgeable About Web TV?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I know next to nothing about web tv and am hoping that someone here does. We have a member who is new and has web tv and could use some help.

Can one do web searches on web tv or just send and receive e-mails? How close is web tv to having and ISP for a computer setup?

Any info y'all can provide will help us to understand the limitations, if any, to having web tv service. Thank you.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Bumping

Love, Mikie
  3. shazz

shazz New Member

This is what I found in a search.

WebTV opened the world of the Internet to many people through an inexpensive computer that uses your existing TV. While WebTV is generally adequate for web browsing and email, it's harder to do more complicated things, and you can't take advantage of specialized programs designed for those tasks. For example, while you can use WebTV to chat, you must use their web interface. Compared to using a dedicated chat "client" program on a real PC, WebTV is very limited in its abilities.

Hope it helps a little bit.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think that most people who use web tv aren't really interested in using the more advanced features that computers provide. If they can e-mail and search, that is probably enough for most who use web tv.

Thanks again as I think your info can help those new to all of this who have elected web tv.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The live chat is separate from our boards, so we may not know when it is available. You may want to e-mail the Webmaster and ask him to announce it here.

I took Jo Ellen's example and installed wi-fi on my computer. I was actually able to install it and it worked without problems. The only thing I had to do was adjust the frequency to find one which would broadcase the signal back to my bedroom.

Now, I can take my laptop anywhere, even to the pool and use it without any hookup at all. It's amazing. I can also take it to any coffee shops which provide a wi-fi signal for their customers. Only drawback is that what I am doing over wi-fi isn't secure. It's like using a cell phone. With the right equipment, someone else can "listen in" on what goes on over wi-fi frequencies.

The plus is that it only cost about $169.00 for the wi-fi card and router and nothing more for monthly use as it works off my cable ISP DSL line.

Thanks for the info on web tv.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hope you see this.

Love, Mikie
  7. athome

athome New Member

I LOVE IT, CUZ LIKE LINE, I CAN CHILL IN BED WHEN EVERYTHING BUT BRAIN WANTS REST.
    AND I USED TO TEACH COMPUTER SOFTWARE USE.

THE BIGGEST DRAWBACKS ARE NO LIVE CHAT, NO JAVA, AND YOU CAN'T DOWNLOAD. BUT NOW MSN OFFERS BOTH WEBTV AND PC HOOUP AT THE SAME PRICE FOR BOTH. IF I GET SO I CAN STAND SITTING AT A DESKTOP AGAIN, I MAY DO THAT.

I HAVE NO TROUBLE WITH SEARCHES, OR CLICKING ON LINKS. I DID CHANGE TO WEBTV PLUS WHICH ALSO ALLOWS PRINTER HOOKUP, SO I CAN PRINT OT SIGNIFICANT RESEARCH, PIX, ETC.

CAN ALSO SEND PIX VIA WEB TV PLUS BY PLUGGING IN YOUR DIGITAL CAMERA.

I'M A HAPPY USER.

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've learned a lot about this from you guys. I guess it just depends on what you need to do.

I do have a feeling that at some point, we will get more integrated services and wi-fi will become the norm if they can make it more secure. Seems to me though that we are spending more and more just to be continually "connected."

Love, Mikie