Anyone Here Read The "Odd Thomas" Books By Dean Koontze?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I got one from the library and read it out of sequence. I enjoyed it so much that I picked up the other three today. The stories aren't too long. They are a bit quirky and strange but, for me, immensely entertaining.

I've read a lot more books on politics, history, and other serious subjects but, sometimes, I just want to escape. I love TV and watch a lot of it but reading has always brought me so much joy. I used to buy my books but I would never spend the money on all the books available for free at the library. I do, however, try to avoid any books with unidentifiable stains on them--AACK!!!

What are y'all reading these days?

Love, Mikie
  2. jole

jole Member

Yes, I've read it...along with nearly all his other books. He is one of my favorite authors. My son in law also likes his books, so we can trade books. Plus the fact that my cognitive skills aren't the best, give me 6 months and I can read them again and not remember the outcome! LOL.

I so wish I could go to the library. Reading is much more enjoyable than tv for me, but since I no longer drive and live in the country, the library is out for me. My girls do bring me books whenever they come home though. So I'm limited to their choices. ***Jole***
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I haven't read it but I'm reading a book I think you would enjoy.

I'm reading MIND AND LIFE - Discussions with the Dalai Lama on the Nature of Reality. It is from the Columbia Series in Science and Religion.

Great stuff!

Peace out,
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I used to love Dean Koontz's early works.

I really don't read much anymore, but when I was younger, I used to eat books up. Everything changed in the early 90's. The computer took over my entertainment. Adventure games really took over my need for books. But it wasn't just the pc. My favorite authors just weren't putting out good stories anymore. I ended up wasting money on their latest works and hating the stories or the way they were written. Too much bloat. Till I gave up doing that and stuck with games.

If you like Koontz, have you ever read any of Robert McCammon's work? His stuff is amazing.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jole, it is too bad you can't get to the library. There are four books in the Odd Thomas series. They are different than Koontz's other works. Wishing you good reading. I'm laughing because it doesn't even take me six months to forget something I just read.

Rafiki, thanks for the heads up on the book. It does sound as though I would enjoy it. The more I learn, the more I can see God's hand in science.

Teabisquit, I agree with you. I haven't read McCammon's work (or, at least, that I remember :) Robin Cook, Dean Koontz, and many other authors just seem to repackage the same story over and over again and I stop enjoying them.

I'm just glad I love to read and that my girls love it too. It has given us so much pleasure in life. My ex hated to read and I can't help but feel he has missed out on a lot.

Thanks for your responses.

Love, Mikie

6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I haven't read the Odd Thomas series, but I am a fan of Koontz. I especially liked False Memory. Some of his stories are kind of twisted and insane. His style is quick paced, which I like. I never had the patience for Stephen Kings slower style of storytelling. I like it to grab my attention quick, or I will never come back to it.
    You mentioned that the Odd Thomas books are different than his other work. How?
  7. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I read them all...the one with the weird lady that took the disabled boy...not as much as the others.

I love Patterson, Koontz, King, Cornwell, and so many others. Someyimes I forget what I read in the last!!

8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I read all the Odd Thomas books and I really like them. I think the first couple are the best. I listen to the audiobooks, and I really like the reader.

I have read many other Dean Koontz books, too. Sometimes he's just a little too creepy for me. Some of his images hit home a bit too much and are disturbing. But I like his descriptiveness and imagery. He tells a story that I want to keep listening to.

My daughter likes Horror novels, so last weekend we bought "Watchers" by Koontz. I hope it's not too creepy for her. I read it a long time ago, so I don't remember much. That is one problem with Dean Koontz--his stories tend to blur together. Or maybe it's not Dean Koontz, but rather my brain that blurs them all together!
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Y'all have enjoyed these books too. I think what makes the Odd Thomas books different is the Odd Thomas character. His imagination and sense of humor are very creative. Sometimes, I'll laugh out loud at his wise cracks. It keeps the story moving along. This kid is just quirky that I wish I knew him, his friend, Little Ozzie, and Terrible Chester, the cat.

I started out with the latest book and went back and got the other three. I've read the first one and am part-way through the second. I think any of them could be enjoyed without having read them in order.

Love, Mikie
  10. rascal2040

rascal2040 New Member

Loved them! I love Koontz and stephen king,....... I particulary liked the follow through with this series,... you shoudl read * The Gunslinger series by Stephen King! A WHOLE series...........
    Lately I'm reading path to succes for coaching,. WORK material,...SIGH oh yeha...
  11. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have not read this book but I do remember reading a few of his books and being scared out of my wits!! I remember reading Phantoms (back in the 80's) as I rode the train to work and became so engrossed that I about jumped out of my seat when the station bell rang. Then I read Hideaway and became so frightened that I would not read any of his books after that. Are they all really scary? Keep in mind,I am a light-weight when it comes to this stuff!

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Being scared too. The Odd Thomas series isn't scary so much as page turners. He gets himself into these impossible situations and you can't see how he could possibly get out. I hate to stop reading because I want to see how he's going to get out of yet another fix he's in.

I try to find books at the library which are relatively clean. I used to buy books but I am now reading a lot of books I would normally not spend the money to buy.

Here's to a good read!

Love, Mikie