Anyone here REAL knowledgable in Cat health problems?update

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tandy, Sep 14, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

My cat is very sick.
    Its the weekeend so I'm just trying to get him thru till I can hopefully get him into the vet tomorrow.
    Its the oddest thing thats happening.
    never saw such a thing.

He's 7 yrs old,...and the first thing I noticed was about a week ago him appearing to lose his vision.
    cloudy eyes,.. dilated pupils, missing jumps or misjudging heights,steps,etc.
    slight loss of apetite.
    now,.. just yesterday he's almost dragging his real legs. !!!! i'm heartbroken.
    so sad to see :(
    I checked his legs and I see nothing wrong w/them.
    any help out there??
    ideas,.. suggestions?
    I have this gut feeling its not good.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2008]
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Not an expert but a true cat lover. I am so sad for you. There is a terrible feeling that goes with a cat owner when their cat is in distress. (as with any animal owner/lover)

If there is an ER Vet office, call them. Explain what is going on and find out if you should wait another 24 hours. I realize going to the Vet ER is more expensive but at least they will talk to you about possible causes. Also, I don't know how your town/city is, I live in So Cal so there are Vet offices open 7 days a week. Maybe there are some near you, if not in your town but close by?

I hope it all turns out ok.
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

something really wrong with the little man, you must take him to a vet.

So sorry.

4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I love my cat, and it breaks my heart when she is not feeling well. Please take your cat to the vet. I was going to mention possible poisoning, but I see that some already have. The only experience I have with a cat acting similar was during college -- Shadow was having dizzy spells, where he would list to one side, and sometimes fall over. The vet found out that he had a brain tumor. You need real information -- please know that I will be thinking of you both during these next few days.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

,... your replys are scaring me.
    I know your being honest and thats great and thats what I want. I just don't like what I'm hearing~

I also read a few sites on cat illneses/symptoms,.. and theres something called cardiomyopathy,a heart disease where cats will lose function of their real legs.(very serious)
    It could be that too.
    or anything you've all mentioned~

I'm just plain ole scared and sad.
    My kids will be crushed if anything happens to that cat.

will keep you all posted for sure.
    I'm gonna try the vet in the morning.
    as no-ones open on sundays.
  6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

My cats had a virus a few months ago. Scotty was so weak from the virus, and had trouble jumping up onto things, and even dragged himself around some because he was too weak to get up. It took time to get over it, but it was just a matter of the right medicine.

Also, when a cat is ill, their 3rd eyelid closes partly over their eye from the inside corner. Could this be what you are seeing?

So it may be something more simple that requires medicine. Not that a virus in a cat is simple - but it was something that was curable. But either way, take him to the Doc as soon as you can.

I will keep your poor kitty in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know what you learn.
  7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have several cats and just adore them. I know how upsetting it is when they get sick. I lost one of my favorite "man cats" in July from feline AIDS. He was only sick for a wk, and then 2 different blood tests confirmed it. It was so shocking and sad. I still grieve for him everyday.

Hope all is well.
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

I finally have an appointment with the vet at 8am tomorrow. This past weekend nobody would see my cat.

then monday we had a storm come thru with 50 mph winds,our utilities/phone service was out.
    I called the vet this morning and of course today is reserved for surgerys only!!! so,.. 1st thing in the am.
    I gotta say,whatever my cat is suffering from he does'nt look well at all.

I made him a soft comfy bed and he only leaves his bed to pee. he's not even eating.
    I have to put water up to him and he'll take a few licks then turn his head away~

it is sad. poor thing.

I wonder if its a bad bad reaction to the flea spray or flea drops I used a few days before he got ill???
    I'll post tomorrow when I get back .
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

been wondering how your wee cat is?

I hope the vet has good news for you tomorrow.

10. tandy

tandy New Member

without my cat~

They wanted to admit him to the animal hospital for feline vestibular syndrome. There hoping IV antibiotics and IV for severe dehydration will help him overnight. The dr. said my cat is in very bad health and may not pull thru it.
    So he kinda left it up to me 'do we try this, or not?'

I wanted to give my cat a chance.
    no matter what the cost
    Its so funny when you have a pet or anyone that you've grown to love, you'll do anything to keep him around.
    I certainly don't have a few hundred dollars laying around for this,.... I have some,... and I'll come up with the rest. Its worth it to me and my family~

so,..please say a small meaningful prayer for my kittys recovery~ Thanks for all your help with this,
  11. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

You can ask the vet if they have any plans, such as Care Credit from GE that would allow you to make payments. That's how I got care for my cat. Good luck.
  12. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

well it's hopeful that the vet can help your cat and I'm glad you are giving him the chance.

If there's a decision to be made ask your vet 'what would you do if he was your pet' - I find that vets are very reluctant to advise.

However if it comes to operations be careful, its not just the money involved, its the fact that your cat is already in poor health and might not be able to undergo an op.

I'm thinking of your little kitty and you.

13. tandy

tandy New Member

no,... !! no operation thank God!
    supposedly,(knock on wood) IV nurishment and IV strong antibiotics. The vet/dr. said we SHOULD see an improvement by tomorrow and then we'll take it from there. ??? normally most cats can fight this kind of thing off,but some can't. Mines the 'some can't'
    yea,.. go figure.

Its a parasite of some sort that infects their balance center in the middle ear and brain.
    Plus my cat was very dehydrated so trying to administer the fluids and antibiotics myself may have been impossible to do.
    (so they say) I think he has a better chance in the hospital.
    its gonna cost but oh well. everything does right!!
    will post again when BETTER news comes. (fingers crossed)
    thanks everyone :)
  14. tandy

tandy New Member

will check into that care credit
    Thanks !! do know if its interest free for a length of time?
    thanks again,
  15. poets

poets Member

Still sending out prayers for you and your kitty.

Gentle Hugs To You Both,
  16. Juloo

Juloo Member

Am sending good wishes for your kitty -- I'm glad that it is something that you can fight, at least. As I lie here in bed with my laptop propped on my knees, my own kitty is curled up right beside me. So I will add her good wishes as well. Please let us know how things go!
  17. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

sounds really'll be on tenderhooks!! I'm having good thoughts for your little man.

18. tandy

tandy New Member

its in the silver box.
    Maybe coincedence but I would'nt use it again.

Still no word on my cat. I called this am and I'm waiting for an update from the dr. he's suppose to call me back. I pray he's ok. and thats theres no damage after all this.
    what a scary experience.
    thanks to each of you for your well wishes~
    It really means alot to me.

no news is good news right?
    (at least thats what I'm holding onto)
  19. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Just as an FYI to anyone that has a cat that needs more fluids. Make their canned food like soup. Add some water in dish of canned food, put it in the microwave until it is nice and warm and stir very well. The microwave helps release the yummy juices cats like from the food and actually helps bring out the stinky cat food smell going. It can induce cats that are not eating, to start eating, and it is a excellent way to get more fluids down a cat.

My male cat was suffering bouts of FIS (Feline Idiopathic Syndrome)where he had bladder urinary problems without a reason and without a cure and the Emergency Vet was stumped. I read on the internet a discussion between a vet and client who solved the problem with distilled water added to the canned food and microwaved until it was nice and warm. She did it for every meal all the time and never stopped doing it even when better. I followed that advice and no further incidents of FIS with my male cat. The Emergency Vet said that extra fluids in the bladder is good and helps the bladder. So its "soupy food" all the time and my cat just begs for it.
  20. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Any improvement? Did the vet say what the best outcome was? Hope the kitty does better soon.