anyone here who won't take any meds for fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Just curious. sometimes I hate being a guinea pig.
  2. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

I refuse to take medication for my Fibro. I have seen my Mother go downhill for years with all the medications she has taken and I just cannot bear to take them myself. I am so bad I won't even take an aspirin for a headache. I am a bit leary of all those meds. Now I will put a topical heat rub on myself. I just use biofeedback, topical pain creams, ice, heating pad, and lots of hot showers.

Trish :)
  3. badluck

badluck New Member

I just don't like drugs, period. The only things I'll take are my BP meds and I have really bad problems with ulcers/bleeding so I have to take for that. Unless its a migraine, I won't even take anything for headaches. Nothing seems to help the FMS anyhow, so why add toxic meds to the system?
  4. the problem I have is if they don't know the cause then they are just experimenting on us anyhow, right? I just worry about the long term havoc on our bodies from all these meds they dole out to us.
  5. SARINA

SARINA New Member

I don't take meds other than a low dose of Paxil. I'm allergic to just about everything. I take Tylenol at night when I can't sleep. I have ambien and when I go many nights without sleep I take 1/2 a pill. Otherwise I just weather the storm. Besides, like we all say, if you don't know the cause how can you find the cure.
  6. ibisgirldc

ibisgirldc New Member

I'm taking some medication (cymbalta, iron, b-12, C, BC pills) but I have no intention of taking narcotic pain pills for the FM. In fact, to be honest, I'm really surprised at the numbers of people on this site who take huge amounts of narcotics each day. I've had FM for 5+ years now, and all of the literature that I've read says that the pain killers are inappropriate for this ailment. That at most, we treat it like you'd treat arthritis (which is not with percs, oxy, hydrocodone, etc.).

I've had to take some serious pain stuff for migraines, kidney stones, torn shoulder, etc, and I could barely function on those. And those were meds prescribed to address specific, narrow sorts of injuries or illnesses. From what I see on this board, people must be hopped up at all times. It doesn't kill the pain, it just makes you high enough to forget it until it's time for the next pill.

I'm surprised that the docs have given prescriptions for it and I'm surprised that so many people would take these. There's no question that I understand the pain... I just wouldn't want to get stuck in a cycle where I can't do without my narcotics. You need more and more over time until they stop working and that's just no way to live, imo.

(BTW, that's not a criticism of those who've chosen to take them. It's simply a statement of my surprise. before finding this board a few months back, I had no idea that so many FM patients were using narcotics. It was counter to everything else that I'd read...)
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

20 mg of Cymbalta, daily. It has helped some of the everyday aches and pains. I also sleep better.

I do use hydrocodone when I experience extreme pain in my legs. It is the only thing that will help. I let it go as long as I can, and that only makes it longer for the meds to work. Heat, baths, ointments, don't even touch it...

These are taken very infrequently. It seems to go in cycles.

Many here, have much more pain and I believe their narcotics help more than hurt. We all have varying degrees of this DD.

I use many herbs, supplements, etc., Many of these have helped me greatly.

Kim
  8. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I think there are times when we do need them...

The neurontin was absolutely necessary for me...it was prescribed for Trigimenial Neuralgia but after several months on it I found that I was needing less pain med for the Fibromyalgia.

I also took/take sleeping meds when I need them. (Ambien and now Lunesta)

I take Loratabs for pain on occasion....2 years ago I took it regularly ever 4 hours but now I sometimes go 3 or 4 weeks without needing pain meds.

I think vitamin supplements are a must.

Stop the pain....Make yourself sleep....and balance your diet and get exercise and you will slowly get back a life. This will not happen in 2 weeks or 2 months however...expect to spend 2 or more years getting back on you feet from fibro/cfs. This is a tough disease and it depends on how long you struggle with it before you seek help (or get the help you seek)as to how quickly you will get back on your feet again.

I was strong and kept plugging away thinking I was just tired from not getting enough sleep and all I needed was a couple good nights of sleep and I would be back to normal again....after years of this I finally crashed and burned.

It took another 2 years of almost bedridden level before I even began to find answers. Then another couple years of slow recovery time and learning what my new body can and cannot do.

I would recommend sleep meds and pain meds(that can help you get up and walk...a good start on the exercise you need)
    Also I recommend a good daily multivitamin. Give this more then 3 months... as long as a year could pass before you actually will see a difference. Then you will slowly learn when and what your body needs. Learning to listen to your body could take years and even then it will still speak foriegn languages occassionally ...the good news is that by this point you will be aware that it is talking to you!!!
  9. allie42

allie42 Guest

I don't think a lot of doctors are paying enough attention to what they've already prescribed before they issue another script. The other issue is that I don't think supplements mix well with Rx drugs, and since I take supplements and vitamins--that's it. No drugs.
  10. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

My pain meds don't get rid of all the pain,but at least I can walk with a walker.I went into a huge flare that has only eased.Without my meds I am a ball of pain in my bed_I had 3 children naturally and it is much worse than that.I respect your decision.I only wish I could do that myself!
  11. I wasn't saying I didn't take meds, I do, but just wondering who here didn't. Pain meds especially have been a life saver for me at times.
  12. elsa

elsa New Member

I take meds. for fibro, but my thought process behind taking them might be alittle different.

I have done alot of research and put together a treatment plan ( with doctor's help ) that consists of many natural treatments geared towards helping my body help itself. The meds. are to help me through while the supplements are doing their healing thing.

It's working... slowly but surely. I am taking less and less rx medication as time goes by.

It all depends on an idividual's comfort level and goals for their health/quality of life. I don't do any AD's or experimental medications .... just not part of my goal, but I applaude anyone who has researched the info. and made a decision for themselves.

What is comfortable for one individual may not be comfortable for someone else. That is O.K., ...it is what makes "horse races" as they say. We need to remember that one way is not the "right" way for everyone ... we also don't want to make others feel judged .

Peaceful, double pisces Elsa ( LOL )

13. Logand

Logand New Member

I take an antidepressant, but that's it. I refuse to take any pain medicine that will make me drowsy or out of it because of my kids.

Since ibuprofen and Tylenol don't work for my fibro pain, the only thing I use on a regular basis is a topical cream like BenGay. It's the only thing that touches it.
  14. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I just had too many side effects. I was also give vicoden for pain relief. My doc was more comfortable with that and the side effects than he was/is with ultram, which is the "recommended" Fibro pain reliever. He approached me about using Prozac...and we have talked a bit about other things..cymbalta being the latest. But , for me, pain and fatigue are my biggest complaints. He does his best to help with the pain relief. After 3 years..I am still using the same dosage..and it is still working, for that I am relieved. He said that he feels that there isn't a successful drug to treat me and make me feel normal out there...so he is comfortable where we are now. Of course , that could change depending on the presentation of other symptoms. So...I pretty much have told him..and he has..after several meetings , agreed..that I would not just TRY things, just for the sake of trying them!
  15. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

but that doesn't help with my achyness. I take 1 -2 per day, and the very odd time maybe a 3rd, depending on how severe my headache is.
    Could someone recommend something different? I take 1.25mg of Clonazapam, and 10 mg amitriptyline, and the T'3 for pain.
    I live in Canada, and alot of meds that you people in the USA get we don't. I would just like to stop aching soo much
  16. virgo_karen

virgo_karen New Member

I feel everyone is different and their situation makes part of the decision on taking meds or not.

For me, I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet, legs and arms. I work 40 hours a week and I even had to down size my job. I'm a CNA and Med Aide. I can no longer work in a nursing home because I would hurt so bad in my shoulders and back. I now work at an asstited living place. That is some what eaiser but I'm still on my feet alot. I also make less money now.

The PN is another story. The meds I take for FM do nothing for the PN. So that's where Lortab comes in so I'm able to work and not
    be so misable when I get home from work. That way, I can sleep better and then I feel better.

I also feel at times the decision is money. I choose meds because and can't afford going the other way, like going to rhumy, chiro, ect. I'm on a limited income. I go to a clinic and my meds are paid by the drug company. I can't afford insurance.

If I didn't take the meds like I do, I would not be able to work and I live by myself. That's doesn't mean I wouldn't like to almost eliminate most of my meds, but I'm doing what I can do for myself now. I may pay for it later, but at the present time is important to me to be able to work.

Just want to point out another opinion of taking meds, hope I didn't offend anyone.

Take care.

Karen
  17. Jeanie101156

Jeanie101156 New Member

I use to not take pain meds, Only elival. But the last few years the pain has gotten worse. I use to think why do these people take all the pain meds and not work. I have learnt that you do not judge because you just might get so bad you have to rely on pains meds daily and quit work because the pain and fatique are so bad. Now I can't cope like I did. My doc stays well informed on fibro and I thank God I have him. Have you ever wondered how many people get told that they have fibro and probably don't even have it or have a very light case of it or even just the beginnings of it. I hope that you all are blessed in not having to take meds stay that way because life is so much better. I have a severe advancing case of it. I just wish it never had hit me.
    Jeanie
  18. gottagetbetter

gottagetbetter New Member

Can't see masking the problem. Changing things so that I can heal naturally!!

~P
  19. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi Fibrobutterfly and all~

I'm prescribed Ultrams for pain and a muscle relaxer for evenings to help with sleep & pain.(both)

I don't take my meds everyday like my script calls for.
    I'm given 30 a month of the Zanaflex and use about half of that.

Someone above mentioned levels of Fibro pain & Disability. I think thats a really good point because many of us have mild cases of FM and alot of us have extreme cases.
    I know this only because I've had FM for 13 yrs and I can honestly look back and see the progression of this illness.
    I could function in the first 3-5 yrs. Sure I hurt like hell, but I could still push myself and hold up fairly ok. Today I really can't 6 out of 7 days.

Pain meds are to eachs own.
    If I were given the stronger meds,..you can bet I'd try them!! I'm tired of pain ruling my life!
    This 13 yrs has felt like 22 yrs!
    Hugs to all~
    and to better days ahead :)
  20. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I think the choice of using medications or not using medications is a personal one, made between an individual and their Dr. It is one made with the personal knowledge of an individuals ability to cope with the sypmtoms THEY have and the pain levels THEY feel. In my opinion it isn't something another person can judge.

Just as in childbirth, some need an epidural and some want the full experience.

If you want to be a pain martyr be one, if you don't, then take what will make your life better for you.